GPboarder
Requesting Suggestions for Modules That Children Can Use and Enjoy
  • 2008/11/20 3:45

• GPboarder

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2006/10/6

I am assembling some XOOPS sites using 2.3.1 for the purpose of introducing some kids to ways to use the Internet other than gaming and surfing. The older kids will be webmasters of their own XOOPS sites and so learn a little about site creation and maintenance.

The idea is to provide a completely secure social and learning environment for them and their friends by allowing parents to hold the reigns on membership. Ages range from 7 to 13 currently.

I am looking for ideas of modules that will be easy for them to use and understand and perhaps entertaining.

I have the XOOPS clock and calculator already. They seem good and serve the purpose I have in mind.

I tried a puzzle module but it is a no-go with 2.3.1.

The idea is to have the sites completely self-contained, so there is no interaction directly with other messaging or Facebook type sites so control of their personal information is ensured.

Optimism is the mother of disappointment.

Anonymous
Re: Requesting Suggestions for Modules That Children Can Use and Enjoy
  • 2008/11/20 8:40

• Anonymous

• Since:

I understand your idea but have some doubts, as children cannot be fooled to stay in your controlled environment. They allready know their way to messengers and social networks, wheter you like this or not. I guess it is better to keep track of what they do and to teach them about the dangers and what not to do.

GPboarder
  • 2008/11/20 15:01

• GPboarder

• Friend of XOOPS

You are absolutely right.

Kids will play in traffic if you don't provide a safe and fun playground. Then as they learn more about life, they are better equipped to cross the road safely.

It's not about fooling them, it is about educating them in a safe environment before they are at an age where they are venturing out unsupervised.

The main focus is for a group of kids who are between 6 and 9 and have no messaging or texting or social networking experience yet.

sailjapan

put them on a LAN (not connected to the web).

First, whatever mods you install, make sure you install lots of smilies!

install news mod, a gallery mod, mylinks, and mydownloads.

give them a digital/video camera, a drawing app (or kids flash animation!) and coloured pencils, a pen and notebook (as in paper). provide a scanner.
encourage them to keep a diary and to take lots of pics.

They can post the diary in news, upload pics from the camera to gallery. scan, manipulate and then upload whatever gets put in the notebook to mydownloads, add links to their friends' sites to mylinks...

If that doesn't grab their attention, you could always have them document a real life project (building water rockets/what-have-you)

Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

ghia
  • 2008/11/20 17:11

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

And then there is Yoghurt, Clientspace, Userpage, ... and of course games (also with flash) and Youtube and audio galleries.

GPboarder
  • 2008/11/20 19:06

• GPboarder

• Friend of XOOPS

As always, thanks a bunch.

I can't put them on a LAN because this is something for them to do from home.

It seems that the Yogurt module isn't good to go for 2.3.1 yet?

Lots to install and test now.

Login

Who's Online

474 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 474

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits