sailjapan
XoopsLifeType module in 2.3

Is anyone successfully running the XoopsLifeType module in 2.3?
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

sailjapan
Re: XoopsLifeType module in 2.3

bump
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

NIUNIEK
  • 2008/11/16 1:13

• NIUNIEK

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/20

Hi!

I just came back to XOOPS after a loong break from any serious work on the web and I'm not sure what you mean by "succesfully" I'm running lifetype on 2.3.1 but so far it's only local and to be honest I have no idea what to expect as it's the first time I see the module. Well, I just have seen it and if that is the only thing this module has "ported" to XOOPS than Yes it seems to be working under XOOPS 2.3.1 on my local server. I've been expecting it to be more integrated, just as XPress is.
It seems to me that the only problem I have is the link added to the main menu seems to direct me to the administartors blog, but thet can be changed and for my personal use it does not matter. There also is no menu in XOOPS admin, but I think that is intentional. If you could write what is your prolem with it then maybe we could somehow get that fixed. As to one of your other posts. I was thinking of integrating the wordpress mu at least to the level lifetype is although I've never seen wordpress mu in action and even if I decide to do it my attempts to use lifetype will have to fail miserably...

Take care,

M.Z.

UPDATE

After another couple minutes of fiddling with it I recall what I wrote above...no joy...it's not working properly...does not link to posts. one can read posts ok when in a particular blog but I can't siply click on a link to a post, returns a blank page...!@#$%$&$@#!

Sorry, SailJapan, will see in couple days if I can do anything with this, or maybe a dev team of this module could...if there is a dev team ?
Some things never change, but some things do.

sailjapan

Sounds like you got further ahead with the module than I did. It seems to install ok, but there's no way to access the backend (that I've found yet, at least), no way to have users create blogs, and no way to see anything at all!
I kind of got the feeling my install didn't work, as I've seen it running on other sites yet mine was dysfunctional.
As for WPMU, it seems to be a temperamental app at the best of times. Even without trying to tie it in to XOOPS. I've had an independant instance running on a test server, and when it runs well, it runs really well. But then after a short while, boom! crash and burn for no apparent reason. Reading through their forums it'd seem that this is not so unusual.
I'm kind of tired of the 'high maintenance' levels of a lot of web apps (and modules for that matter), at the moment. When I was younger, I had the time and the energy to spend sitting infront of my box hacking away. These days, like my car, I just want something that work right.

'Scuze the grumbling. Been having headaches stripping out useless html from Word generated web pages someone sent me. Grrr...

Anonymous
  • 2008/11/16 14:43

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
sailjapan wrote:

'Scuze the grumbling. Been having headaches stripping out useless html from Word generated web pages someone sent me. Grrr...

'scuse the off-thread post, but I have total sympathy. It's a complete PITA, and then one gets nagged because getting stuff online takes longer than hoped. "Use Notepad next time" is my usual plea.

Either that or "write it on a beer mat and I'll type it myself!"

NIUNIEK
  • 2008/11/19 1:11

• NIUNIEK

• Just popping in

I got it!!!

I don't know how secure it is, but should not pose too much of a security issues. Hope you will tell me.
For LifeType to work you need to download and put in your root the original frameworks 1.35 or whatever is here in rep.

and that's it. before I go online in February I will probably narrow down the number of files that need to be copied from the 1.35 to the original frameworks that are in XOOPS for lifetype to work.

P.S. Sometimes it is good to look to your enemy...if it was not for the fact that I've been on my way to base the site on impress I would not know what's wrong...

Good luck,
M.Z.

sailjapan

Ah...ha! (take note, JAVesey!)

... if I put the old frameworks folder in my root, I think I'm going to mess up some functionality of 2.3.1 or other...

What lead you to the frameworks folder, NIUNIEK? Got a link?

I can compare files for differences easily enough, but it won't help me unless I know what Lifetype is looking for.

If this can be made functional again, I think a lot of folks would get pretty excited. A real multiuser blog tied in with xoops... the possibilities are huge!

NIUNIEK
  • 2008/11/19 23:40

• NIUNIEK

• Just popping in

Hi!

Quote:
What lead you to the frameworks folder, NIUNIEK? Got a link?

As I say I was on my way to use the supposedly better cms (that's what they claim) than XOOPS (read I C M S), where you need to add entire frameworks for xpress to work. I've been trying to install lifetype there as well, but failed. Surprisingly, once I've installed framworks, to make xpress work, lifetype started working as well.
!!!Off-topic!!
BTW I'm really surprised how impress got that award. Going from XOOPS to icms was like moving back in time by couple years. The amount of work their community did during that year is just laughable, aside for one module imBlogging (which is quite good, I have to give smartfactory credit for that), everything seems to be taken from XOOPS repository.
!!!end!!!

I will try to narrowdown the filelist from the full frameworks package to find the ones used by lifetype tonight or tomorrow. Until then...over'n'out

One more thing,
Can someone tell me whom to write about email change as the one here is as old as this account and I'm not using it for nearly as long

sailjapan

The whole Frameworks folder thing is a mess, in my eyes. I understand that some modules from individual developers use common code which is not available in core, hence the need for frameworks if a user wants to use those modules, but I think the Frameworks folder should be arranged in a more 'understandable' way. Like, if core came with an empty Frameworks folder, and devs could just add a sub-folder "xoopsforge", "smartfactory", "GIJoe", etc. It would help people (eg. me!) know what they need to keep updated/included so much more clearly than at present. Every time a dev releases a module that depends on their frameworks, they could include an updated directory in the download package. They could even have it install automatically. That would nullify so many of the problems people have with their modules. I suppose that would potentially lead to duplicate libraries and stuff, but it'd be easier for users.

Re:!!!Off-topic!!
As for Impress, well, I think it's all down to presentation. Their site has a mere fraction of the info that's available here on xoops.org, but it's presented in a way that makes it findable!

IMHO Impress never needed to fork. The peeps behind it were basically people who wanted to re-vamp xoops.org, but built themselves up into such a frenzy that they left themselves no option but to go away and make their own version of the site. Don't know why they felt they had to break away from the XOOPS community so completely when they could have (and did, infact, with xoops.info) just offered an alternative support site. I dare say they're still visiting here (hey all, how're ya doing? Congrats btw).
I'll shut up about that now. Water under the bridge, and all that.
!!!/Off-topic!!

Anyway, if you figure out the files, give us a scream, and there'll be at least one other happy lifetype user!

ghia
  • 2008/11/20 2:08

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
BTW I'm really surprised how impress got that award.
I'm not! They where in the upcoming CMS'ses. These are the starters. So, it is a limited category. If you have a certain age, you can no longer compete in that category. And then they have a marvelous codebase and feature rich modules (we know it, because it's XOOPS!). What do you need more to impress the jury?
Quote:
Surprisingly, once I've installed framworks, to make xpress work, lifetype started working as well
And I'm NOT surprised if you say that you didn't read the readme.txt!
Quote:
System requirements
--------------------
1. XOOPS 2.0.X (Note: We've tested XoopsLifeType under XOOPS 2.0.x, but not XOOPS 2.2.x);
2. Frameworks 1.20+ (Download:http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=120014).

Quote:
The whole Frameworks folder thing is a mess, in my eyes. I understand that some modules from individual developers use common code which is not available in core, hence the need for frameworks if a user wants to use those modules, but I think the Frameworks folder should be arranged in a more 'understandable' way.

Because some module developers wanted to reuse code and wouldn't fiddle with the core, the Frameworks concept was set up. It is a kind of library of useful system building blocks.
Quote:
Every time a dev releases a module that depends on their frameworks, they could include an updated directory in the download package. They could even have it install automatically. That would nullify so many of the problems people have with their modules. I suppose that would potentially lead to duplicate libraries and stuff, but it'd be easier for users.
The point was to reuse code and minimalise place on the servers. It's still a very expensive asset. Including a Frameworks version is guaranteeing that the module will work, but mosttimes it is better to have the updated and last version. This has the avantage of beeing best debugged and patched for security. (However new code may also introduce new bugs and incompatibillities.)
Quote:
As for Impress, well, I think it's all down to presentation. Their site has a mere fraction of the info that's available here on xoops.org, but it's presented in a way that makes it findable!
They have locked on the essential documentations. XOOPS has an overwhelming amount, that did grow in the years and lost structure and some older stuff needs an update to the current status. It needs some indexing and categorizing again. Some older and less relevant stuff should be moved to an archive module.
Quote:
IMHO Impress never needed to fork.
No, they didn't, but it is like marriage: parents don't need to divorce, but it does happen and it seems always so inevitable, after it started from something silly like the Big-Enders versus the Little-Enders from Gulliver.
It is not the first XOOPS fork and it will not be the last. You can draw already a complete tree out of it with the ten (or more) branches. And I expect that before the end of the decennium ImpressCMS will have been forked itself too. But it still is a shame that there was not a united vision possible and that the forces and community has been split. Who knows where we could have been today?
Quote:
* Keep bug fix in 2.0.18, in October
* Merge 2.0.* and 2.2.* into 2.3/2.4, Q4 2007
* Start 3.0, Q1 2008
* Work on 4.0, Q2/Q3 2008
The roadmap is available athttp://xoops.wiki.sourceforge.net/CoreRoadmap
But enough nostalgia, back on track!
Quote:
Anyway, if you figure out the files, give us a scream, and there'll be at least one other happy lifetype user!
Check every file of the module for the includes. It will lead to other files and their includes and so on. This way you see what you need realy from the Frameworks.

Login

Who's Online

235 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 235

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits