eireann
Blocks / independant area
  • 2008/10/10 0:02

• eireann

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/8/21

Hi,
I have now two modules in one XOOPS page.
Wordpress and Webphoto.

Now when I say which block goes where I can either put them into the Top Page, the Webphoto or the Wordpress.
If I dont want a block there but on a separate page...how would I do that?

I would like to make small blocks showing all kinds of stuff, e.g. a small calculator or a sudoku or...
These should neither be seen on the Top Page nor on Webphoto or Wordpress.
These should show in a new area.
How would I do that?

eireann
Re: Blocks / independant area
  • 2008/10/10 0:40

• eireann

• Just popping in

I found HERE Auth, a "Dead Module".
Due to lack of description and no examples given I dont understand what it exactly does and I dont know if that would do what I would like to do.....

sailjapan

The author has published a newer version. Read his site here (found in comments in the link you gave)
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

eireann
  • 2008/10/10 10:22

• eireann

• Just popping in

Sounds like a rather ominous site if it only works with babelfish with no proper webpage shown. I wouldnt want to download anything from there.
And I still dont know what it does.

I want to use it for XOOPS I have installed on one of those cheap host sites 3ix and it costs me always some days of discussion with host-care to get programs running there.

Thats why I would like to know in advance if this module is what I am looking for..

sailjapan

'fraid I haven't used it myself. Don't be put off by the translation. Doesn't necessarily mean that the guy can't code. Just that he doesn't speak English.

His site is in Japanese, and I assumed (erroneously, perhaps) that you would prefer to see it in English.
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

eireann
  • 2008/10/11 0:12

• eireann

• Just popping in

Quote:
'fraid I haven't used it myself. Don't be put off by the translation. Doesn't necessarily mean that the guy can't code. Just that he doesn't speak English.
I am not afraid of guys who cant code or not.
I am afraid of guys who code "too much"
To say it in more clear text: I am afraid of bogus sites of hackers and crackers.

I only wished they would be using more Kanji. Thats easier to read than Hirakana/Katakana.

sailjapan

Sorry, I seem to have given you totally the wrong idea about Route 286 and his website. The Babelfish wrapper was my doing, not his.

Route 286 has been around for years, and there's no reason to think that his site is bogus.

You can find his site 'in the flesh' at www.xoops.me
and there's more here http://286.jp
As you rightly say, they're all in Japanese.

noisia
had a go at translating the Auth(e) module's description here back in 2005.

As for "coding too much", well, I think we're probably all a little bit guilty of that

eireann
  • 2008/10/11 12:19

• eireann

• Just popping in

Quote:
As for "coding too much", well, I think we're probably all a little bit guilty of that
I am not against coding.
I could appreciate a lot of code and functionality/possibilities as long as it doesnt disturb people like viruses/spam/ or hacking.
If no one would want to do anything bad then we probably wouldn't even need cookies.
Now so much unnecessary code has to be used for protection alone and there is always someone who likes to sneak in bogus code or bogus web pages.

ghia
  • 2008/10/11 13:44

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
If no one would want to do anything bad then we probably wouldn't even need cookies.
Cookies are required due to the statelessness of http servers. (It's one of the more popular solutions to resolve that.)
Quote:
I could appreciate a lot of code and functionality/possibilities as long as it doesnt disturb people like viruses/spam/ or hacking.

That's the advantage of open source. Everyone can read it and see what it does.
Quote:
Now so much unnecessary code has to be used for protection alone and there is always someone who likes to sneak in bogus code or bogus web pages.
An excellent program has at least the double (or more) size of a good program.
A good program does all the functions as required, but relies on the cooperation af all external factors, such as the system providing enough space and availability for memory or database, or the user for entering only digits when requested for a number.
An excellent program count only on itself and checks and double checks all operations, and is therefore failsafe and fool proof. So far the theory!

In practice, this turns out to be a race in evolution: while programmers continue to improve their programs to make them more fool proof, nature is inventing every day better and more dangerous fools!

"Coding to much"? I don't think so!

eireann
  • 2008/10/12 0:00

• eireann

• Just popping in

Quote:
"Coding to much"? I don't think so!
I meant by coding too much:
Putting in damaging code, code intended to harm other computer and internet users.

Login

Who's Online

245 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 245

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits