mrfixit
New Block doesnt work
  • 2008/10/4 20:43

• mrfixit

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/10/1

IM using version 2.3.0 and sadly When I enter my text in a new block instead of the wysiwyg editor working right it blurts out the exact text as it was typed with the actual b's for bold instead of bold text..Unlike how it shows up correctly when you choose preview...Im at a loss im two weeks deep into this project..also the news module seams very unatractive

Anonymous
Re: New Block doesnt work
  • 2008/10/4 22:30

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
mrfixit wrote:

IM using version 2.3.0 and sadly When I enter my text in a new block instead of the wysiwyg editor working right it blurts out the exact text as it was typed with the actual b's for bold instead of bold text..Unlike how it shows up correctly when you choose preview...

What option did you select for the new block under "Content Type"? Try one of the "Auto Format" options instead of "html".

The "Welcome", "QUIX NIGHT" and "Fund Raising" blocks on my site's homepage (http://www.llanmon.org.uk/) are custom blocks, although I admit to making them with the standard XOOPS text editor rather than a wysiwyg editor. They are "Auto Format (with Smilies enabled)".

Quote:
mrfixit wrote:

Im at a loss im two weeks deep into this project..

What's the problem? Can we help?

Quote:
mrfixit wrote:

also the news module seams very unatractive

I think you need to qualify what you mean by "unattractive". This is very possibly the most used of all XOOPS modules so it suits a great many of us

What is "unattractive" about it?

mrfixit
  • 2008/10/4 23:24

• mrfixit

• Just popping in

"I think you need to qualify what you mean by "unattractive". This is very possibly the most used of all XOOPS modules so it suits a great many of us

What is "unattractive" about it?"

What I didnt know is its part of the theme im using that makes the topic titles like font 24 and a huge background.its actually part of a theme im using. Where would I edit that where it says the topic then the article?
as far as the blocks not working. It was on html by default and I left it there it works when i enter regular html so im guessing i'll try auto format. but i never remembered having to do this before, or the preview being incorrect

mrfixit
  • 2008/10/4 23:25

• mrfixit

• Just popping in

hey how does XOOPS have forums featured on the front page?

sailjapan

Quote:
hey how does XOOPS have forums featured on the front page?

I think they're using the module 'My Tabs'.
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

Anonymous
  • 2008/10/5 8:23

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
mrfixit wrote:

Where would I edit that where it says the topic then the article?

The News module is so widely used that many themes have code included in the theme's style.css

Have a look in your theme's style.css for the following classes and edit them to suit:

.item
.itemHead
.itemInfo
.itemTitle
.itemTitleĀ a:hover
.itemPoster
.itemPostDate
.itemStats
.itemBody
.itemText
.itemText:first-letter
.itemFoot
.itemAdminLink
.itemPermaLink

If they are not in your style.css then drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send you my style.css as an example.

mrfixit
  • 2008/10/13 19:10

• mrfixit

• Just popping in

Thank You.
Do you know how to display modules in each block?

mrfixit
  • 2008/10/13 19:12

• mrfixit

• Just popping in

Thank you for the information on where to find the news styles in the css. Do you know where to find the forum styles?

sailjapan

Quote:
Do you know where to find the forum styles?

Modules (such as your forum) control their appearance through html templates. You can find them here:

admin > system > templates

if you only have the 'default' template set, 'clone' it to create an editable set of templates.
Meaning that only the templates in the clone template set are editable.

Having created the clone set, go back to:

admin > system > preferences > General Settings

there you will find a dropdown menu titled "Default template set" (which actually should be called something like 'select a template set' to avoid confusion)

Choose the template set that you want the site to utilize (usually the one with all your hacked templates in it). You should also select the 'yes' radiobutton titled 'Check templates for modifications ?' so that you can see the results of your hacks by refreshing your browser window. Finally don't forget to click 'Go!' at the bottom of the page (I've no idea why it's called 'Go!', maybe 'Submit' or 'Save' would make more sense, but there you go.).

Once you're all done editing, happy with the results and enjoying a celebratory smoke/drink/caramel-pudding-flavoured-Kit-Kat-bar, dont forget to go back to the 'General settings' screen to switch off the 'Check templates for modifications ?' radio button.

Have fun!
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

sailjapan

And as for your earlier question Quote:
how to display modules in each block?

Well, if I understand your question, what you have to do is:
First. make sure that the users you want to be able to see the blocks you are going to manipulate have the necessary permissions to see them. You do this here:

admin > system > groups

Select the group you want to give permissions to from the top, let's say 'Registered Users' for argument's sake. Scroll down, and you will see a section titled 'Block Access Rights'
Check the check boxes of the blocks that you want people to see. Finally click 'Update Group' button near the bottom

Now go to
admin > system > blocks

(this is one of the most convoluted back-ends around, so bear with me)

Note that you have four drop-down menus at the top. The screen will refresh after you make any selection from them. The 'Go!' button is redundant (afaik).

Set the dropdowns to the combination you want (ex. News : All Types : Registered Users : All Types)
Lo-and-behold! All the blocks available to registered users and generated by News will be displayed. If what you want to display as a block doesn't exist, you may have to create a 'Custom block' from the 'Add a new block' area below the module blocks we were just talking about, and code it yourself.

Not sure if I answered your questions, but it was fun none the less.

Login

Who's Online

438 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 438

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits