DarinAllan
Re: Databases, collation, UTF-8 etc

Quote:

JAVesey wrote:

I have the exact same problem with the copyright symbol in my theme. Will try Marco's solution.

Thanks guys

Ok I have been having a play today, I found that some apostrophes had the weird character, and also on another site the copyright character was weird as well. I had two instances of the copyright in this particular site theme. One was fine one was weird. The one that was weird I went to the meta tags in preferences and just pasted the © character in to the footer section directly it worked fine.

With the apsotrophes funnily enough I just edited the weird character and replaced it with an apostrophe lol and it worked, really don't get that as it definitely had an apostrophe previously but was now the weird symbol.

So just try re-editing some things that have the weird character with what it should have and see what happens, it has worked for me for now anyway!

Oh this is another way to make the copyright character in the actual theme code
©
but I didn't need to use that I just pasted the © directly in my case, into the footer section of the "meta tags and footer" in preferences where I saw the weird character which should have been a ©.

Cheers.....Darin ;o)

ghia
  • 2008/10/3 6:40

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

I have had a the same problem a few days ago on this forum.
I posted a hack and it turned out to display with several block characters.
First I tought it was me but others see it too.
When I reopened the post to edit, the text appeared normal. But after save the blocks reappeared.
In a later post, I posted the same selection block in a quote block and then the text appeared alright.
It don't know how the text is saved in the database, but it seems to me that there are somewhere some conversion errors possible. If things were going correct, it wouldn't be necessary to retype entries with some special symbols.
These posts may help to pinpoint the problem.

Shiva
  • 2008/10/3 6:47

• Shiva

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/7/9 1

I had the same problem since I upgraded to XOOPS 2.3, it's becuase I a global variable has been changed to UTF-8. It was originally ISO-8859-1.

You can change it back here:
language/english/global.php

Change
define('_CHARSET', 'UTF-8');
to:
define('_CHARSET', 'ISO-8859-1');

Hope that helps someone.

DarinAllan

Quote:

ghia wrote:
If things were going correct, it wouldn't be necessary to retype entries with some special symbols.
These posts may help to pinpoint the problem.

Yes we may find the solution, it is weird lol.

;o)

Elena123
  • 2008/10/3 18:01

• Elena123

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/24

Hallo everyone,

I have a similar problem:

I type 'è' (es. in a new block title) and the title stopped before this charact.

Another problem is in Article module, it make me mad beacuse I need to change every 'è' 'é' 'à' 'ò' and so on in this way 'è' => 'è' otherwise I have the same error as the title blok one.

My database has Collation: utf8_latvian_ci
My XOOPS version is 2.3.0
And I hadded this: define('_CHARSET', 'ISO-8859-1'); in the languages files (boyh English and Italian one, my site is in Italian language)

Please, some one could help me to solve this problem please?

Marco
  • 2008/10/3 18:15

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

if it is a fresh install,and because your site will be italian/english, choose latin 1 - cp1252 West European
and keep the global.php you modified as it is after your change, as explained here (sorry it's in french, but tomorrow i will post somewhere here an how to)

if it is an upgrade, choose "do not change" option in the upgrader, at the database and character set page
Do synergy or die.

Elena123
  • 2008/10/6 15:40

• Elena123

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/24

I follow the istruction on the link and it works!

I don't speak French but the steps in the article are quite clear.

Thank you very much for your help!

Login

Who's Online

169 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 169

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits