antifmradio
looking for support....not getting replies

So today i joined 6 websites other than zoops because im looking for support on the new release of
Yogurt 3.3
and i am still not getting a reply to a question i posted 3 days ago.

Where can i get the support?
the download package like the old one says to use the sourceforge site but obviously no one is looking there or using it because
theres only ONE message posted there over a week old with no replies......... dead space.

Still i need help with something
I know SUICO is too busy but i cant tell WHO exactly is offering support
Even though i have replied to the respective threaed here, i have still received nothing

and yes..... i know..... the support is all voluntary
but still.... 6 websites + 3 days and still nothing?

ghia
Re: looking for support....not getting replies
  • 2008/9/8 5:59

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
and i am still not getting a reply to a question i posted 3 days ago.
Maybe it was weekend?
Quote:
Where can i get the support?
Depending on your problem: in this forum? The comments at the end of the article are meant for what their name says: comments.
Quote:
and yes..... i know..... the support is all voluntary
but still.... 6 websites + 3 days and still nothing?
Your problem got dispersed.

antifmradio

uhh thanks? i think
but if im asking the question both where the information is made public as well as via email to code originator
and getting no responces
how else would YOU in my shoes try to get some advice?

antifmradio

whats going on around here.

im just looking for WHERE can i get support for my module?
or for that matter
xoops in general as well.... i know theres other sites but a google search has given me a number of dead websites ( not much activity )
or sites that dont have modules to support my question.

stefan88
  • 2008/9/9 4:29

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi,

you asked your question in comments - not a good place to ask for support. Better start a forum post with appropriate subject.

When you upgrade module it is not enough to upload new files, you need also to go to admin -> modules and click "Update" for the module. Some modules may require extra steps - always helpfull to check the upgrade path in the modules readme.

As for the problems with upload - there could be diferent risons for that. For example there could be a problem with web server or PHP configs, MP3 may not be allowed tipe for upload,...
Try to enable PHPDebug (try both styles) before trying to upload and look for errors. Also if you have access to server logs look there.

antifmradio

thanks stefan88
i posted it here because i received no replies in the specific module thread, nor from direct emails and on other specific for that module websites.

this was my last resort and your reply was the most help i have gotten.

Mamba
  • 2008/9/9 13:46

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
im just looking for WHERE can i get support for my module?
or for that matter XOOPS in general as well

For XOOPS this Website is definitely the best resource of information.

For modules, the best site is wherever the author is supporting his/her modules. But regardless where the support is offered, we need to remember that this is Open Source, i.e. people are developing and supporting software in their free time, when they have the time.

And we need to remember that every minute they spend here supporting users, they could be playing cards, watch TV, partying with their friends, spending time with their families. We really need to appreciate it, and to understand that this is a gift they are giving us, and not something that they have to do it, or that we are entitled to!

So it's possible that you post a question, and you won't get answer. Sometimes it will take time, and you might need to repost the question, before somebody will respond.

It's possible that people didn't install Yogurt, and don't have the internal knowledge of a module. So in order to respond to you they would have to install it, analyze the code, which could take hours or days, and they might not have the time to do it.

Therefore there is no reason to get frustrated with lack of answer. I was in many cases in similar situation as you, and my alternative was to:

a) wait for an answer (and keep gently reminding people about it )
b) do it myself
c) switch to another module

One thing that I would like to encourage everybody is - let's try to help others with what we know or what we can do, so the experts can focus on more difficult things.

If you don't know PHP - you can write documentation. If you've found a solution to your problem, publish it in FAQ, so others can benefit from it. And next time you see somebody struggling with similar issue - pinpoint them to the right solution.

All this will help to keep our experts spending their time on those difficult questions where their expertise is best utilized. Phppp, our project leader, could be spending here hours supporting people and answering every trivial question from XOOPS beginners. But I think, his time is better used on working on the next release of XOOPS.

Working together and doing what we can do at our level of know-how, we can improve the support here tremendously.

I am sorry that I cannot help you directly with your question! I wish I could, but I am not a PHP or Yogurt expert. But I'm trying to help here on these forums with things in my areas of expertise, or with questions on my PHP or XOOPS level of know-how.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Login

Who's Online

235 user(s) are online (168 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 235

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits