charlesg
General Forum advice
  • 2008/4/7 19:12

• charlesg

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/5/12

I have an XOOPS site which includes a small forum built using the XOOPS Forum module.

Does anybody know what the differences are between that module and a full standalone install of phpBB or SMF?

I am thinking of switching to a more feature rich setup and I have a few questions. I have access to SMF or phpBB. Does anyone know if I can convert my actual forums to these two? Can I integrate them and use my XOOPS user base for SMF and phpBB?

What I basically want is a nice, easy to manage forums, with the same look and feel as the main XOOPS site but I don't need to keep all the structure of XOOPS (menus and all) around. The main features I need are:

- google ad support
- attachments
- user space from Xoops
- fast and easy to use

Any feedback from experienced admins would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

PS: here's the current XOOPS site:http://www.scan60.com/

macmend
Re: General Forum advice
  • 2008/8/11 9:31

• macmend

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/27

I find it fascinating that so many people seem dissatisfied with the XOOPS forum: newbb/cbb yet there is so little community support for any other forums.

There is a module for phpbb but this goes back to 2004/5

There is a bridge module for smf forums which I have experimented with and its not as good as a fully integrated forum.

There are a number of other forums for the XOOPS platform but they are not as good as the standalone forums like VB and IPB -ipb does have a moduel based on early invision boards, phpbb, smf.

SMF community bords are jam packed with info on how to convert from all sorts of other boards and cms forums, there is a convertor from CBB/NewBB to smf.

I had some success with it but then your site is cut off from your board, the bridge module as I say is not really to my tatse.

I think the phpbb forum module could be updated but its not within my skill set.

Forums are often central to sites perhaps we need more focus on them at XOOPS. Especially the GUI.
Free Mac Support

Ordinary Wisdom

apache server with php sshexec turned on
xoops version 2.0.18.1 & 2.3.1
php version 5.2.5
mysql version 5.0.45

Mamba
  • 2008/8/11 13:23

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
I find it fascinating that so many people seem dissatisfied with the XOOPS forum: newbb/cbb yet there is so little community support for any other forums.

Hmm, I don't see that many negative voices about cbb/newbb. Sure, all of us are looking for new features, but I don't see many showstoppers.

Personally, I'm working a lot with cbb as the moderator here, and it works for me just fine.

But I have to admit that I didn't test the other forums like newbbx and xforums.

Quote:
Forums are often central to sites perhaps we need more focus on them at XOOPS. Especially the GUI.

What would like to improve here?
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

ghia
  • 2008/8/11 22:47

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

I use also newbb/cbb 3.08. I tested newbbex, but found it less appealing and feature rich.

Login

Who's Online

182 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 182

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits