dcarson
RSS Topics issue
  • 2008/7/31 20:37

• dcarson

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/7/22

I've searched and can't find the answer to my problem. Also, I posted this as a reply to another issue I had with no luck of responses.

Here goes:

Often, when I click one of the topics on one of our Web pages (cnewspubs.com) and then the RSS icon, it doesn't give me a feed for that individual topic. Instead, it's the last five items that were posted to the main page.

For instance: http://www.cnewspubs.com/sports

I can subscribe to the RSS feed from one of the topics - but not multiple topics. Instead I get the feed for the original subscription or the last five articles that were posted - regardless of topic.

Example:
Click "Community Call-outs" in the topic list on the right. The url changes from http://www.cnewspubs.com/sports/modules/news to http://cnewspubs.com/sports/modules/news/index.php?storytopic=63 - like it should. It shows those items posted under that topic.

The problem is, when I subscribe to that feed, it gives me the last five articles posted in general.

This is no good!! I wanted to create a widget/blidget with the "community call-outs" for the left side of the page so our readers can quickly see what signups are coming up for youth sports.

Any ideas???

Deb

dcarson@cnewspubs.com

DarinAllan
Re: RSS Topics issue

Try these syndication modules, one of them should do what you ask.

RSS Syndication modules

I personally use "planet" I haven't tried the others as yet.

I create a category then add the feed or feeds relevant to that category, so your topic could be the category, then add the RSS feed from that topic.

dcarson
  • 2008/8/4 2:07

• dcarson

• Just popping in

thanks for the suggestion. I'll pass it along to our IT guy and see if it works. I'll keep you posted.

dcarson
  • 2008/8/15 0:15

• dcarson

• Just popping in

So, the I.T. guy installed the X-reaggregator and it works well enough - except for the topics issue.

I can still only subscribe to one topic no matter that there are 10 there.

Any ideas?

DarinAllan

I have no knowledge of x-aggregator, I do know though that you definitely can subscribe to individual topics with "Planet". Yes it's a bit of setting up, but not that hard. I create a Category first, then add the individual RSS feeds to that category. I activate the Category block for Planet, I click on Category A, all the RSS feeds or the one RSS feed I added to that Category is now the only topic/Category on that page. If I go to the bottom of the page there is the three Feed types these links >>> RSS | RDF | ATOM

I then either just right click RSS and select copy link location, or click on the RSS feed and a page comes up in my browser (FF3) I can get the link from that as well. So once you have the link from the Category you want you paste it into where you want it, use a neat little RSS icon to make it look like you know what you are doing.

Have a look at what I set up for one of my sites, have a look around, click on the categories in the top left hand side, check them out, look for the RSS | RDF | ATOM links click on them see how they work.

Planet Example

I am fairly sure you can do what you want with planet, YMMV ;o)

Edit: Thought I shoulad ask what module/s you want to get the feed from, I guess not all modules are setup the same way. I know with Article, newbb, for example, the feeds can be gotten from Categories, topics etc. Maybe your problem is the module you want to get the feeds from. Just a thought ;o)

Login

Who's Online

170 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 170

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits