syahzuan87
How do I take over a xoops site?
  • 2008/6/18 3:18

• syahzuan87

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/2/2 1

Hi, i am taking over the management of a XOOPS site, i need to redesign the site n stuff.

So first of all i found myself a new theme, i found out that this isn't something easy that u can just change by visitting admin page on the site, u needa upload some files to the webspace using ftp client.

so i downloaded a ftp client, typed my username and password that i used to access the admin page of my site, it says authetication failed. i found out u need to have something called a ftp account.

a few questions:
1. if i have to take over this site, i have to use wampserver as well like what ppl did for a new site?
2. how do i set up a ftp account that enables me to upload files to webspace? or only the previous owner has the access to it? he only made me the site admin, is he holding other kinds of master username or password which u need to access ftp?

sorry for my newbieness, thanks for ur help.

avtx30
Re: How do I take over a xoops site?
  • 2008/6/18 3:34

• avtx30

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/10/12

As a site admin you can tweak almost of things for the front end (users/groups/modules/blocks/permissions etc.)

You need a FTP account if you wish to physically change files (php scripts, templates, css, images,...). Ask your predecessor for it. Normally the hosting company provides only one FTP account per host. Note that the FTP account is not a part of XOOPS - the CMS in question, it's different from your XOOPS admin account.
Xoops Demos:
http://www.nhatban.net/info/a0021.html

syahzuan87
  • 2008/6/18 4:04

• syahzuan87

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/2/2 1

thank you, so first of all i need to get a ftp account from my friend before i think about wamp and stuff?

stefan88
  • 2008/6/18 4:21

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi,

as avtx said the FTP is part from your hosting. You may need also to have some usernames/passwords for your hosting control panel, database...

If you have access to hosting control panel, you may be able to set a ftp account for yourself.

Dona_Brasil

And as you are a beginner, here is the golden tip: Make a back-up of your site and its database before you do anything!. Contact your host if you don't know how to make a backup.

Login

Who's Online

142 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 142

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits