Sublime
Re: define Standard Templates for theme developers - your idea
  • 2008/1/29 18:25

• Sublime

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/5/23

Quote:
- module developpers will be agree with new rules ?

doubtful...but fixing the base of the problem (mod templates) is better than rigging the current workaround (template overriding every module)

Quote:
- design team have the right to force them ?

depends who you ask

Quote:
You are mixing themes and templates !
And that's not the same.

huh? No, I'm saying that the problem with _themes_ are that most module _templates_ aren't coded to coincide with _themes_ and that using Morpho as a _template_ for _themes_ isn't a sensible solution. Nor is it sensible to make every _theme_ effectively a _template_ for a new _theme_ for some new designer to learn from. But changing how _themes_ are formatted and how module _templates_ are written is more sensible...just not the easy solution that everyone seems to be looking for.

In a nutshell, I understand that kris is saying Morpho should be a template for all themes so new designers can learn from them...i disagree with that. And I'm also bringing up the point that doing that will not solve the problem of modules looking horrible with pretty much any theme that is more than "your-basic-theme".

Marco
  • 2008/1/29 21:46

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

we can discuss during ages about that point.
The only valuable solution is to define a minimalist 'canvas' to reaffirm most needed (e.g. usually repeated) classes :
- this work has to be made through a common effort of expert designers AND expert module dev.
- it has to be done with the goal of publishing a sample module, that shows the way
- it has to be minimalist
- backward compatibility has to be discussed during that effort

About the contest, there are already some rules about theme css. Check the theme/modules "how to".

Please liberate creativity.
It's time to show what a community driven project is, by being able to work alltogether for a common objective.
Have fun, be professional, share

marco
Do synergy or die.

Will_H
  • 2008/1/30 16:40

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

I thought Aphex stepped down from the design team.

I was almost sure of it, because I remember saying.. welp, there goes the only designer on the design team... Guess I was wrong though.

Still funny.

Sublime
  • 2008/2/1 16:18

• Sublime

• Just popping in

Quote:
I think my XOOPS experimentation has finished. Just proving too difficult / too long-winded to make it look good, to make basic layout changes.

^^ from a new XOOPS user.

My Point - 1
Current System - 0

Round 2. Fight.

stefan88
  • 2008/2/1 17:58

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Quote:
I think my XOOPS experimentation has finished. Just proving too difficult / too long-winded to make it look good, to make basic layout changes. I have worked out changing the themes now (thanks for the help), but everything is just taking to long with it. Back to Joomla......

So you suggest to make from XOOPS another Joomla? What is the point to have two similar CMS systems? If you want Joomla - it is there, go use it!

However, I do agree that there is something wrong with the contest. To start with:

Quote:
This contest, its organisation and its Rules and Requirements were discussed on this forum :
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1888023&forum_id=347994

This brings some deja vu feeling - do you remember how we get our "beautiful" XOOPS logo?
If you want to make contest for the comunity why not discuss it here? Also I do not remember so called "de facto standard themes" to be discussed here before becoming standard.

And to be more constructive - why doing this contest, what are the goals?

- You want some fresh graphics to add to morpho or other theme? Then ask for photoshop files - many designers are not familiar with html/css/smarty/xoops.
- OR -
- You want some new ideas in theme design and usage for XOOPS - then why limit the creativity?
- OR -
- You want to showcase how good and flexible XOOPS is. Then this has nothing to do with themes. There was an exelent idea from jeffgr - XOOPS Challenge

Sublime
  • 2008/2/2 5:06

• Sublime

• Just popping in

Quote:
So you suggest to make from XOOPS another Joomla? What is the point to have two similar CMS systems? If you want Joomla - it is there, go use it!

That's not even close to what I said. Perhaps try reading a topic prior to replying to it...not just the last post. That would help you immensely.

Marco
  • 2008/2/2 8:49

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

- Why not starting to define those minimalist little rules?
- Why not starting to benchmark our actual theme/templates standards with other project's rules (joom, drupal, wordpress,etc.), just to see how they have define rules to liberate creativity of designers AND module/components/adds-on's developers?

@Sublime
About wrapers, can you precise your meaning? there are already some in the XOOPS system that were used for compat purposes with nuke world. those close and open tables. But what sort of wrapers do you think about? Can you give us a small list of them to decide if there is really a need of them. Personaly i don't think we have to think back about the nuke concepts. Our benchmark will show us the way

I believe too in the no team concept, and prefer the synergic way of management. Synergy is far away the best way to make things move forward in an open source project.
Do synergy or die.

Will_H
  • 2008/2/2 9:28

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

Too bad XOOPS is a Monarchy

Quote:

Depends who you ask...I would do it how evo does it:

In a theme I would define OpenTable, CloseTable functions and use that as a wrapper. For example, the OpenTable function would be the top and left of my block, the CloseTable function would be the right and bottom of my block.

Then any module dev could call those functions and throw their content in the middle and format it generically with .row1 .row2 .even .odd td,tr,hr,div...etc which i would have in my style.css because every module would use those same classes. And the theme would still look how i meant it to look in any module.

@marco theres my contribution

Benchmark our themes? Why not start where the trouble is... With the module devs. You devs are so insistent that we stay out of from under the hood, yet its ok for you to come out and run your keys down the side of our fresh paint job.

You all run around talking about contributions, and helping out the project... but when it comes down to it you are just blowing smoke up our asses....

Why is it that aphex was the only designer on the design team? Anyone? Yeah... its bull #OOPS#. Why is it that kris can run around peddling his work as the standard for XOOPS without actually consulting the design community about it.

Why is it that "First Official Theme Contest For XOOPS" is being highlighted... Someone had to approve the article which makes it official, yet all of a sudden no one wants to sit next to kris.

The whole system is stupid. You all sit over on sourceforge while the rest of us actually sit in the project site. This theme contest should have never been hidden like it was, and I dont want to hear for one second in some half ass attempt at english that it wasn't.

If this was ever about the #OOPS#ing community it would have been decided on by the community, not some piece of #OOPS# on a power trip.

JeromeKervie

Will_H
  • 2008/2/2 9:48

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

Gee, your opinions hold a lot of weight around here. Mr. I'm too much of a chicken #OOPS# to post under my real account.

This is XOOPS. This is what you and your buddies have made of it. :)

Login

Who's Online

174 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 174

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits