irmtfan
Re: define Standard Templates for theme developers - your idea
  • 2008/1/27 13:50

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

IMO we need to discuss in details.
the goal for a standard template is not to force developers to have a static place holder to put images, logo, headers,...

i think there is a bit of misunderstanding.

kris_fr
  • 2008/1/27 14:14

• kris_fr

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2005/12/31

Quote:

irmtfan wrote :
i think there is a bit of misunderstanding.

yes

Marco
  • 2008/1/27 14:26

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

why not to start by defining these naming conventions?

marco
QA
Do synergy or die.

Sublime
  • 2008/1/27 20:11

• Sublime

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/5/23

Quote:
In your opinion, module developpers' have to change all their templates ? ...I really try to understand, because (for me) it's a "nightmare" to obtain same looking for each modules (e.g. here / downloads here)

Well thats the way it would have to be. I don't understand why people are trying to force themers into this box when it's not the theme code that's the problem, it's the module code. There isn't a standard for how modules are templated by the authors except for "dont use too much css, k?", THAT's the problem.

If you forced module devs to create their templates a certain way telling them when and where they can or can't use classes and what classes they can and can't use, themers will default into using standard classes because that would allow their theme to render properly for every module. Module devs are supposed to make their module look right with every theme...themers shouldn't have to create an override for every module.

Quote:
Another question : Morphothings as you called it is really a bad thing ? Newbies have the right to learn (I'm sure you're agree with it) but do you know another tools ?

Morpho is not the solution to all your problems. As i said its horribly simplified into a ton of useless classing to make up for lack of visual quality. Contrary to morpho-belief, you don't need to give EVERYTHING a class, let me decide what I need to give a class rather than telling me to fill in the blanks. That isn't going to help anyone learn, that's just going to confuse them and cause more badly templated morpho-babies in addition to the ones that exist now. Yes, new people have the right to learn, but everyone shouldn't need to sacrifice every theme to allow them to do that. People want every XOOPS theme to be a tutorial for newbies...thats ridiculous. Give me a template that isn't as backwardly coded as Morpho and I'll happily adopt the classes to benefit module appearance.

Quote:
I think there is a lack of documentation about themes : for end-user, and may be for module developpers (css classes to use, etc...).

Definately.

The contest...is bull#OOPS#. I may as well screenshot my new theme and give that to kris and let him code it considering it would be all his code if i did it anyway.

Marco
  • 2008/1/27 21:38

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

thank you to have specified that the page is not finished yet. i've added a warning at the begining of the page. For now, i'm still working, day after day, to collapse into one area ideas.
moreover, i can only see you criticizing? There is definitively no way for you to contribute?
Do synergy or die.

Sublime
  • 2008/1/27 22:07

• Sublime

• Just popping in

Quote:
How could it be done ?

Depends who you ask...I would do it how evo does it:

In a theme I would define OpenTable, CloseTable functions and use that as a wrapper. For example, the OpenTable function would be the top and left of my block, the CloseTable function would be the right and bottom of my block.

Then any module dev could call those functions and throw their content in the middle and format it generically with .row1 .row2 .even .odd td,tr,hr,div...etc which i would have in my style.css because every module would use those same classes. And the theme would still look how i meant it to look in any module.

@marco theres my contribution

phppp
  • 2008/1/28 1:43

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Thanks for the initiative discussion.
Hope we can build some development schema for XOOPS Theme and Template from the discussions, which should have been oriented by designers instead of developers.

Sublime
  • 2008/1/28 2:26

• Sublime

• Just popping in

Quote:
which should have been oriented by designers instead of developers.

Yes! Bingo! Thank you. Will_H and I were having a discussion about that a while ago...Developers can create a great theming engine and base templates...but designers have to use them every day. I think obtaining a bit more input from the actual themers would be a good idea before implementing things that largely effect them.

Sublime
  • 2008/1/28 18:03

• Sublime

• Just popping in

heres a little random question I've been wondering about.

Who exactly is the "Design Team" we're hearing so much about?

kris_fr
  • 2008/1/28 18:36

• kris_fr

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2005/12/31

@ Sublime : If you want to make party of the Design Team, you can make a candidature near the XOOPS council or of myself.
You can thus join: aph3x, moffawak philou, wishcraft, ianez, voltan, and me.
This team will be completely functional this weekend, therefore if you are interested ...

Kris_fr

Login

Who's Online

201 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 201

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits