mboyden
Re: Can't see installed modules in System Admin
  • 2008/1/11 15:23

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

IMHO the Blocks Administration in XOOPS isn't very user friendly. An admin overhaul has been targeted for the 2.3 merge, but until then, use GI Joe's Altsys Module. It's a MUCH better Blocks and Templates management toolset that I load on all my sites. However, there is one little gotcha to make it work right, so I'll point you to my notes on the Altsys Module.
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

Brendahoisin

I turned on the debug feature in the preferences, tried the home page again and got an error message about "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION" in .../modules/count/blocks/b_count.php on line 2

Line 2 of this file reads as follows:
"function b_count_show($options){"

Looks like this simple block and my site aren't going to get along.

stefan88
  • 2008/1/11 16:08

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi,

counetr is also a very old module (read - not a good choice)

Quote:
But once I have set it to visible, my web page comes out as a blank page.

check if count.txt is writable,

enable PHPdebug mode and look for errors.

mboyden
  • 2008/1/11 16:13

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

"unexpected T_FUNCTION" means that the PHP compiler has encountered a function where it should not be. What this usually means is that there is an error in the code somewhere. So, the Counter module (posted in 2004, and the home page site is now a spammer placeholder page) has an error. It could be a missing closing bracket or a missing semi-colon at the end of a line before it. If you have a PHP validator, run this php file through a debugger. There may be something else, but I'd suggest looking for an updated module or you will likely have to troubleshoot this one yourself. You might try the iStats module instead since it's about XOOPS usage stats as well, but I don't know if it will give you what you are looking for. At least for now, until you get other things going, it may not be worth your time, but that's up to you, of course. And assuming it's valuable to XOOPS, then jumping in and updating the module and re-publishing it to the community would be of value.
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

stefan88
  • 2008/1/11 16:21

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

And to have a better experience with XOOPS you may try news module fromhttp://xoops.instant-zero.com/modules/pages/index.php?pagenum=2

their other modules also work well.

Brendahoisin

Thank you all! I've finally got a module working! It's TinyContent and it worrks beautifully for my purposes (once I can get the sub menus to work!).
You guys are so clever and so generous with your time and effort (and patience) - thank you all once again!

Trener
  • 2008/1/21 21:59

• Trener

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/2/16

Delete the existed XOOPS instalation and instll new one. Probably everything will start to work.

I'm using XOOPS now for quite a long time. I also have done a lot of testing. I set the test page locally and put my self into testing of some modules which I supposed to use in a future. This task required many installing and uninstalling different modules. And always when I do such testing I get the same problem. Some modules stop to work, white screen starts to appear, sometimes I can't see installed module in Module admin area or I can't see new modules ready to install. Or some problems come up on a page. Different strange things happens.

When the test page gets so much not working I simply delete it and install fresh XOOPS installation. And suddenly everything starts to work.

By my opinion XOOPS have some problems when a lot of installing and uninstalling of modules happens. And also when a lot of modules is installed at the same time. I don't know if anyone is aware of this fact but the truth is this could be the problem for some users of Xoops.

And finally. When I set my new REAL internet page I installed only those modules which I found they would be the right one. Only one installation of each module. No installing and uninstalling. By now it works for me.

Login

Who's Online

146 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 146

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits