damaster
Re: Proposal: Towards A Sustainable Open Source Project
  • 2007/10/31 19:13

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

Sorry,

It's not the domain or the team or any individual.
First make evolve your mind, think different, and
this may evolve

Creating such limited environment, you're limiting
contributions and minimize chances to get a solution.

Last, if it's about community-driven, the community is here,
xoops.org provides place enough for Freedom of speech

I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

BlueStocking

X.I. is a viable option, if we cannot use this site to organize the proposal on,

...darcy
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

damaster
  • 2007/10/31 20:21

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

BlueStocking wrote:

The implications of this outcome is the dissolution of xoops.org as a meaningful voice in XOOPS community matters in the future.

...darcy

Dissolution of xoops.org ??
Where is the community ??
The end users ??

I'm sure there's a misunderstood !

But, what are you saying?
Do you want to divide to better reign? Again and again?

Isn't this a development project around a 'core=code'?
Isn't that 'core=code' the community is looking for?

And isn't the goal of these proposals to create a good
open source environment for developers and community ?

So, why don't you keep using the forums and keep it open?

BlueStocking

by Damaster on 2007/10/31 14:21:24

Quote:

BlueStocking wrote:

The implications of this outcome is the dissolution of xoops.org as a meaningful voice in XOOPS community matters in the future.

...darcy

Dissolution of xoops.org ?? << it is mistake to take this conversation off xoops.org.

Where is the community ?? << the community is here
The end users ?? << the end users are here

I'm sure there's a misunderstood ! << you misunderstood my meaning due to English translation.

But, what are you saying? << we must do this on the forums here or we will futher fragment XOOPS to the point of no return.

Do you want to divide to better reign? Again and again? << if we are AGAIN forced to gather OFF XOOPS.ORG, we will not likely come back again. This is not in XOOPS best interest. I am agreeing with you fully and 100%.

Isn't this a development project around a 'core=code'?
Isn't that 'core=code' the community is looking for?
<< the code will come from the developers, not the community. They will do that where they choose and rightfully so.

And isn't the goal of these proposals to create a good
open source environment for developers and community ?
<<The goal of the proposals are to set a system in place where developers can work together and community can find the end product to use and appreciate.

So, why don't you keep using the forums and keep it open? << that is what I insist on doing. HERE, not anywhere else.

I add to that, this is so important to accomplish that xoops.org is in danger of losing its identity to xoopsinfo and XOOPS Cube and whatever XOOPS name comes along or can be thought of.

Xoops, belongs here.

That may not be possible for us to achieve.

Simply discuss the proposal here where the proposals were made. (as a news item, no less)

This is an important point.

Damaster, WE are in agreement, always have been on this issue.

BlueStocking.

damaster
  • 2007/11/1 0:02

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

Hi Darcy,

Thanks to make it 'so clear'

The project relies on everyone. A developer code without UI design is useless for end-user.

Based on the orpheus model, developers, designers and users are part of the same 'community'. All equally contributing : code, design, bugs report, critics, ideas, etc.

These days I saw some users developing and reporting issues with core. Both contributing as users but with developers skills. Get it!?

Also the human being proposal is not sequential but concurrential. Sequential behavior allows only one event to happen at a time. With concurrent behavior, multiple events may occur simultaneously. That said, focus on development goal and don't split resources all around the tree branches.

The second model is for the core and not to improve concurrential reading/writing on sourceforge but to provide a better data consistency. That's also why i support DJ initiative to merge 2 and 2.2 and ForMuss with XOOPS Hack as it may help in future to reduce the gap with others...

But lets focus on the first step. Since it stills a manually synchronize concurrential and its human beings who made the second

sailjapan

When I said:
Quote:
but it's the principle of the thing...

what I meant was that here we are, a team charged with a mission from the 'powers that be', and the same 'powers' can't even pull their finger out to give us the tools to do the job.
It's just such a depressingly good example of all that's wrong here.

I'm very appreciative of Davidl2's offer, and we may well be knocking on your door soon, but jeez!, Come on XOOPS! Get your act together!

While we're waiting, I suggest that we carry on here. Maybe it'll spur some action

@BS: in fact, there are no discussions going on at googledocs. It's not a discussion environment. I've uploaded a couple of docs there so that team members can peruse them and alter as they see fit. The docs relate to how we, the team, might go about organizing our selves and making a start on actually working on the issues we're supposed to be dealing with. You've seen everything in emails, so it's not like you're missing anything (except the ability to modify the docs in a shared environment).

@Damaster: I agree that we're going to get a much more representative sampling of XOOPS community opinion from here (x.o) than from anywhere else. I do think, however, that a publicly read-only thread (in a new forum hosted here and open to new publicly read/write-able threads for input purposes) is perhaps the best way for the team to hold discussions without getting sidetracked.

But these are only my opinions. No doubt the team members all have theirs. Let's air them here while we're waiting.

Crip
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

phppp
  • 2007/11/1 0:25

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Currently only www.xoops.org and sourceforge.net/projects/xoops/ are recognized as official XOOPS Project sites.

BlueStocking

phppp,
You just stated the obvious.

what are we going to do about it?
As a team member have you just cast your vote in favor of using xoops.org as we have suggested.

Darcy

damaster
  • 2007/11/1 0:51

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

Come on, this thread has soon 20 pages.
Everybody can react and comment here.

Googledocs all apps are very intuitive,
to use on a further step. When time to write
technically stuff will require a collaborative
work. While that, things can be done here.

The only power we need, is power to create
new solutions.

Catzwolf
  • 2007/11/1 1:05

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

I might have been wrong, but since you are the project manager, core developer and current leader of this community, I thought it would have been easy for yourself to give this the tools required to do the job on this website without having to resort to other measures. I might have been wrong about that though, and personally I would have given this the resources required with the need of a begging bowl to be handed out to other people.

Login

Who's Online

204 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 204

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits