seth_sd
San Diego - Most of the Time it's Nicer Than This
  • 2007/10/24 3:45

• seth_sd

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/9

The SD in my username obviously stands for San Diego. Well, the last two days have been hell. Almost 4 years to the day that we lost 1500 homes in my neighborhood we are at it again.

We never thought it would happen again and especially not so soon. Last time, October 2003, many of our friends and neighbors lost everything they owned.

This time we all knew the consequences, we heeded the warnings and packed all of the valuables we could fit in the family car and left when they told us to leave.

There were lessons learned from last time and some very interesting at that. Being that this is Southern California many folks have swimming pools. Everyone in the neighborhood that has pools now puts a big sign on their garage door alerting others that they have a pool and thus a place to put your china, silverware or anything else that can survive a couple days in the water better than it can survive a few minutes in an inferno. We all put vehicles or other large items that we can't take with us out in the street away from the house. It's amazing what we learn from our experiences.

It's kind of interesting to evaluate what it is that you need and truly value...this is the time to find out. Of course the family pictures, the important documents,the family heirlooms, the Sandy Koufax autographed baseball and all of the other easily identifiable things. But, if you still have room then what is it that you really value? My two boys, ages 9 and 11, called me from where they were safely staying to make sure that I loaded their dirtbikes. Of course mom said "let 'em burn". I complied as I usually do after 13 years of marriage. I proceeded to load my 3 laptops into the car as she continued loading clothes, pictures, jewelry and other important items. There are so many things that you look at and say, "I don't want to lose that, this sucks"! But, the car only fits so much. Life and family are so much more important that material things that can be replaced.

We made out fine after being evacuated for 2 days but many of those in the town next to mine didn't this time. We have lost over a thousand homes and have the dubious distinction of having accomplished the biggest movement of people in U.S. history ( I know it's short compared to most of you in the old world), even bigger than hurricane Katrina. 965,000 people looking for a place to go is a strange sight indeed. People were in downtown hotels with kids, dogs, rabbits, birds and everything else they could bring with them. Others were in the high school parking lots with tents, horses and trailers.

Here is a link to a video from Rancho Bernardo which is the neighborhood next to mine - Video

Anyway, just a bit of rambling on my part but it's important to put into perspective what it is that's really important. I hate to use this as a cheesy analogy but at the end of the day you need the community to weather the storm. I believe that XOOPS will weather the storm by being a strong community. That's all.

Seth
"Why can't we have a car powered on a mixture of patchouli oil, ignorance, and double standards? There seems to be an inexhaustible supply of that sh1t." - LR

sailjapan
Re: San Diego - Most of the Time it's Nicer Than This

Man, that would most surely suck big time. Glad to hear that you're safe and that your home made it. Sorry to hear that so many people lost their homes though. Better to lose a home than a life I suppose, but still...

While we're at it, spare a thought for the other 40,000,000+ displaced people around the world.

Crip
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

seth_sd
  • 2007/10/24 4:19

• seth_sd

• Friend of XOOPS

It's important for those of us fortunate enough to have stability in our lives to experience what so many in the world experience on a regular and ongoing basis!
"Why can't we have a car powered on a mixture of patchouli oil, ignorance, and double standards? There seems to be an inexhaustible supply of that sh1t." - LR

MadFish
  • 2007/10/24 4:22

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

You have my sympathies. A few years ago 70% of my home state was burned black and a large chunk of the city (Canberra) went up as well. Places that had been tall forests my whole life were burnt to the ground and after the rain washed away the ash there was nothing left but bare earth. It's kind of shocking to visit a place you know well and scarcely be able to recognise it.

Fire is a terrible force! But things will eventully return to normal. Hope you get through it ok.

kc0maz
  • 2007/10/24 10:51

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/4/18

I can not just stand by and watch! Some of those people out there really need help.

There were lessons learned not only from previous fires, but also from previous disasters (New Orleans).

One of the things that get me a bit upset is people will look at something like this on TV and say "That is terrible, some one should help them" then goes about their daily lives.

I am headed out that way with the Red Cross to help feed the masses.
Some dream of success, while others wake up and work for it.
--unknown

seth_sd
  • 2007/10/24 11:53

• seth_sd

• Friend of XOOPS

Hey kc0maz,

I think that's awesome that you are headed this way to help. If you need a place to stay, a home cooked meal or wanna go have a beer somewhere after a hard days work let me know.

I am in charge of IT for the company I work for thus the one responsible for emergency communications. The last couple of days have been interesting times trying to coordinate resources to keep the business operating. Anyway, I am one of the few that's back in the office today getting things up and running again. Cleanroom HEPA filters don't do too well with a continuous barrage of ash and smoke much less trying to continue manufacturing processes in 5% humidity!

I assume you are headed to Qualcomm Stadium? It's 5 miles down the road from my house and you are more than welcome to hit us up for anything you need.

Seth

sailjapan

Man! Go Mike! Go!

Here's a link for the American Red Cross if anyone else is able to help.

And here's a link to the The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.

Crip
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

kc0maz
  • 2007/10/24 17:24

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

Seth,
Thanks for the offer, I just might take you up on it. After a couple of 16 hour days I could use break.

I have no idea where I am going. I guess it is QualComm however, that can change by the time I get there. I have no idea if I will access to the internet, or even if I will have time. I'll see when I get there.

SailJapan,

Thanks for the links, hopefully a few fellow Xoopers will step up.
--unknown

seth_sd
  • 2007/10/24 17:48

• seth_sd

• Friend of XOOPS

Contact info PM'd to you. Definitely give me a shout if you need to escape for a bit.

Seth

kc0maz
Re: San Diego - Most of the Time its Nicer Than This
  • 2007/11/1 11:20

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

I'm back from California.

@ Seth, Sorry I didn't make contact with you. I got so busy, that when I slept, I didn't care where I was. Given the nature of the situation, I was all over the place. At first I was in San Diego, then up to Oceanside, then

A Tip of the hat goes to the brave firefighters on the front lines. These guys work tirelessly to save houses, and lives. They are true heroes.

Some of the damage is horrible. some neighborhoods have completely wiped out. I wish I could have stayed longer to help those families get back on their feet, however I needed to get back and start looking for a 'real' job.

After seeing the damage and the fires up close and personal like, It puts the squabbling that happens here in perspective.
--unknown

Login

Who's Online

104 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 104

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits