Catzwolf
Re: Benefit of templates_c?
  • 2007/10/14 15:52

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

No i didn't say it was impossible for anyone with knowledge of php to use the system. I said I don't understand why everyone is forced to code exactly by that system simply because that is the standard that _whoever_ says you have to use. I've never experienced that with any other cms that I've used...

I presume that phpNuke would allow me to use templates and has template system built into the system? Actually apart from Joomla, I have never seen a duel templating system such as you are asking for.

You’re whole argument is based around the premise of a php file is a little ‘more’ secure or less ‘hackable’ than a html, then if that is the case, you need to really present a little more evidence or reasoning as to why XOOPS should change over or even include this functionality, when the current format provides you with everything you say you ask for. (With regards to PHP etc)

As I have said previous, there is a real need to keep logic and presentation apart as much as possible and I am quite sure a lot of web designers will agree with me on that issue and with all due respect, to include that functionality would require a good bit of rewriting just to include it in the system (Not saying that it couldn’t be done).

You are just not limited to using html tags with smarty; you can actually perform logic statements (and more) either through smarty functions and tags or PHP (via) smarty itself. The later is which I believe you want to do with your own themes to provide you better control.

As to regards that you can do more in this format over a straight html file would have been valid ‘if’ smarty had not been involved, but Smarty provides the extra layer that you are asking for.

Anyway, I am not trying to be funny or obstinate with you with this issue (hell am not even a core developer and they might feel differently than I about this issue) but from what I can see, the current solution (apart from the security issue) will do everything you require and possibly more and doesn’t just restrict you to non PHP. : )

ATB

Catz

Will_H
  • 2007/10/14 18:09

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

@sublime, ok the source thing is pretty cool.

What impact, if any, does this have on crawl-dads (bots)?

script_fu

Nuke had an addon that you installed to run the killer themes. You had to use this theme engine in order to get the best themes from the best designers. I think you guys might be on to something.

What are you two up to? You building something? So you can theme admin, forums and everything else with a plugin/addon?

Everyone here knows that all the themes suck. Compared to the nuke ones. I hope your able to bring XOOPS that kind of advanced theme design.

I hope you both come back with examples of what your talking about code wise.

I wish I could remember the name of the nuke module/theme/addon.

A+

Sublime
  • 2007/10/14 18:48

• Sublime

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/5/23

yeah actually, I was considering just that

And yeah I know the module you're referring to, we run it on an evo site.

script_fu

If you do pull off something like this. You can bet one thing your sites will be very busy selling themes and or subscriptions.

I would be the first to pony up the money. I've seen your work in the past with nuke.

script_fu

Can you post the link of the nuke module? I want to take a look at it?

Also do you suggest a theme module?

Sublime
  • 2007/10/14 20:19

• Sublime

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/5/23

Allow me to clarify, I coded for evo, not nuke...evo is nuke without the security holes lol...and yeah I'll PM you a link to it, don't wanna advertise another cms in here.

@will
It displays the javascript to bots, but I'm workin on fixing that.

snow77
  • 2007/10/19 4:42

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

quoting Will_H ref #idQuote:

Speaking of which, Morphogenesis is the most ridiculous thing ever... Sorry to everyone that has spent so much time working on it... but honestly. Whenever someone release something based off of Morpho, it just makes me laugh.. Morpho is not the "solution" to anything, and if it was... who exactly has the right to claim it as such? You can create table-less themes without going to such extremes.

You are right, it can be done without such extremes, and it's a matter of learning. And hey, I really admire what you do, I get too sunk in CSS to see the world outside.

But CSS is worth it. Just take a step forward and CSS will show you what tables can't do. Name it what you want, XO or no XO,those div's are calling out at you and what you conscientiously do of those id's and classes. And gosh it's way a process. Yet I do look forward for less tables and more div's. And designers like us are the ones that set example. Looking forward to see more of your themes.

P.S. Sorry to have gone off topic but it seems to have gone this way, this has nothing to do with the Benefits of templates_c, and a more designers point of view
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

Catzwolf
  • 2007/10/19 13:41

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

@Sublime:

I have just looked over the XOOPS core code and it would seems that you could still use a theme.php after all. Seems there is a 1.3 backward compatible code there incase you want to use it.

@Snow:

I have to agree with you. XOOPS needs to evolve past tables and start using div tags.

script_fu

Quote:

catzwolf_ wrote:
@Sublime:

I have just looked over the XOOPS core code and it would seems that you could still use a theme.php after all. Seems there is a 1.3 backward compatible code there incase you want to use it.

Catz can you explain how this could be done? Are you saying we could use the old 1.xx themes with some tweaks?

Login

Who's Online

230 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 230

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits