jeffgr
Xoops Monogamy? : )
  • 2007/9/28 16:12

• jeffgr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/22

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how many people here check out both the Xoops.org web site as well as the web sites of other CMS's on a daily basis? I check the Xoops.org site daily, but only occasionally surf over to the Joomla or Mambo sites. I'd like to learn as much as I have learned about XOOPS for other CMS applications, but I have decided that XOOPS can basically do everything I want, and more.... and I just don't have the time to learn the intricacies of another CMS! But am I limiting my abilities with this type of thinking? Are you an XOOPS Expert, but stay on top of the details for other CMS packages as well? If so, are you just a casual surfer on those sites, or do you know other CMS packages to the same extent?

It's things that I know like "well, 2.0.17 works, but you have to apply the patch"...or "liaise is a great module...but only version 1.23 works with the 2.x.x branch" or "oh, that problem is occurring because XOOPS themes do this funny thing where"... etc. etc. This is the sort of thing that keeps me from exploring other CMS's...it's hard enough trying to stay on top of one package! :)

I would like to hear your thoughts on this!

jeffgr

Will_H
Re: Xoops Monogamy? : )
  • 2007/9/28 18:33

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

I fiddle with other CMS's but always find myself wanting to use XOOPS, and looking for ways to makes XOOPS do the things other CMS's are famous for.

markesh
  • 2007/9/29 5:43

• markesh

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/7/14

Hi, jeffgr,

thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I think it's not a bad idea at all to look at other CMS like Mambo/Joomla, Drupal and so on. Of course they all somehow work the same way -- MySQL, PHP, Smarty, some code here, some code there... But it's worth to see the differences as well as "how do they do this?". E.g. in Mambo I had the possibibilty to publish an article for a registered group, but have the public see the first page. They had to register if they wanted to read more. I could decide this for each article. I was very happy about this feature, because I could make useres curious and "push" them to register (or, in other words: they saw it was worthful to register. I hate thos "please register first" pages, and you don't see more content afterwards, because there isn't any...). It was very tricky to realize this somehow in XOOPS, and not every news module can do this.

There are functions and modules for other CMS which would also be fine to have with XOOPS. Why not take a look at "how do they do this" or even try to make them fit to XOOPS?

I'm not saying "this or that CMS are better than XOOPS". But we're not on a CMS war. It's a competition, and we can learn from each other.

btw: I'm very impressed by the XOOPS communities all over the world. I rarely seldom saw comments like "if you want this joomla function, then go to joomla and use it. Bye!" or sth like that. Very polite, helpful and open to new thoughts. Thank you all

kind regards
markesh/karim
First German XOOPS book: XOOPS-Buch.de

snow77
  • 2007/9/29 6:18

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

geshh your crazy, monogamy is only something I and maybe some other believe for the relationship with their husband or wife.

This is work, there's valuable code everywhere.

XOOPS is just what it is.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

damaster
  • 2007/9/29 8:30

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

just start blog about it

Well, the world has changed and the new millennium bring a new vision. While the last generation kept the same job for 30 years and got one marriage, our generation may work on different places and jobs or projects that take less than 30 days and experiment multiple divorces along the way...

We leave on the multi-byte, multi-core, multi-platform, multi-task, multi-linguage, pluri-cultural era. We learn from others and share our experiences pushing to the limits our biological clock each time we connect to this common network. We have Google maps, we see the world from top. We think globally while acting locally. In a single planet, under only one sun and only one moon.

But if we call that progress, and a state of evolution, we may have a quite human primitive behavior when it comes to community-based project. Even it use and share the same technologies and goals: php, mysql, html or xhtml, ajax and css.

drupal-vs-joomla-performance
Which one is right for you?

Xoops is quite late from competitors, but since we learn a great deal from each other, and it is been re-coded, maybe someone will add a new third column!
I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

Login

Who's Online

225 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 225

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits