marckd
iSearch module and high search
  • 2007/9/24 1:58

• marckd

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/3/16

Hi, I have iSearch module installed in my site, and I have the following problem... it seems as I have too many searches! :)

actually it wouldn't be a problem, but having 2000 searches per day, makes the table grow too much and too fast, and I find a big problem on performance here, as iSearch saves every single and individual query, when doing a top 40 most searched words, only the sql takes like 3 seconds, that is too much! don't you think?

any idea on how can I fix this without rewriting the whole module and creating a couple of tables?

thanks in advance

markesh
Re: iSearch module and high search
  • 2007/9/24 4:25

• markesh

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/7/14

Hi, marckd,

it's not a bug, it's a feature

iSearch logs every search request, similar to a counter. btw: if a user searches for more than on word in one request, e.g. "xoops module download", iSearch logs these three words individually.

If you have a "narrow" content on your site, there shouldn't be too much words people are looking for, because they mostly search for the same things...

I also use the module, but only as a webmaster tool. It shows me what users are looking for and whether they get it and what they get. So its helpful for optimizing the contents.

There are about 230 word logged for about 300 search requests.

From time to time I remove some words out of the iSearch database. You can do this in the module administration. You can also use the module's blacklist to reduce the database. E.g. avoid logging words like "and, xoops, download" etc, if you don't need this information.

Maybe Hervé can tell you more.

kind regards
markesh/karim
First German XOOPS book: XOOPS-Buch.de

marckd
  • 2007/9/24 16:40

• marckd

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/3/16

Thanks for replying! I know it is not a bug :) but it is being a problem to me!

There are around 5000 different querys in 300k searches that have been made.

The thing is that I wanted to create a tag cloud, but with so many data, the speed and performance of the site is reduced considerable

hervet
  • 2007/10/6 7:37

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Is your navigation inside your site "good enough" ?
If they use too much the search, may be that's because they can't find what they need ?

Login

Who's Online

242 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 242

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits