debianus
Re: What takes the liberty XOOPS?
  • 2007/9/17 13:12

• debianus

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/12/17

Yesterday the xoopers are searching information about the issue.
The problem could be reported in sourceforge or xoopsinfo.com for example. Then the information would be published in another sites (as local support).
One site is enough; internet will do the rest.

The problem was that there was not information in any site.

JMorris
  • 2007/9/17 13:16

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:

JAVesey wrote:
Quote:
JMorris wrote:

Sourceforge.net
XOOPSinfo.com
XOOPSforge.com
Any one of the local support sites
Any one of the several XOOPS related sites. (XOOPS-magazine, XOOPSFactory, XOOPS-Tips, independent module developers, etc.)

Good suggestions, but a big job to post to all of them.

Is any one of the above list the most "logical" choice were there to be a single nominated posting point?

Or is just one posting-point a little idealistic?

Viral distribution.

If an official statement is posted on say, SF.net, Xi, and XOOPSforge.com, then you reach enough of an audience to kick in the viral effect and the message would spread rapidly.

A single point would be idealistic as not everybody visits a single site.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Anonymous
  • 2007/9/17 13:21

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
JMorris wrote:

Viral distribution.

If an official statement is posted on say, SF.net, Xi, and XOOPSforge.com, then you reach enough of an audience to kick in the viral effect and the message would spread rapidly.

A single point would be idealistic as not everybody visits a single site.

Okay.... sounds like we have the "where", now all we need is the "who" (and a backup if the "who" isn't contactable).

tom
  • 2007/9/17 13:49

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Hi JAVesey,

I'm chilled, just didn't understand Dave_L's post, as I've never done anything untoward him, and his statement:

Quote:
Your destructive posts about the people who are trying to rebuld the XOOPS project result in a lack of motivation among people who might otherwise want to help.

Well it's not people as Dave points out, it's person, it's one individual that treated me like crap first, it's one individual that leads a project and it's one individual that still ain't apologised.

I have no issues with anyone else here, well except one numpty but he should of been banned, he was once.

So because Dave accused me of attacking people, this was untrue.

Anyway.............

I'm sure if the server went down, the DNS could temporary be re-directed to a 'THIS SITE IS CURRENTLY DOWN, BUT DON'T WORRY WE'RE WORKING ON IT' page or something like that with perhaps better details.
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

MadFish
  • 2007/9/17 14:09

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:

Is any one of the above list the most "logical" choice were there to be a single nominated posting point?

Why not set up a XOOPS security email list that people can subscribe to? Not only could it be used to provide timely security patch announcements, it could also be used to advise users of xoops.org downtime and similar issues. Ideally should not be on the same server, of course.

It should be trivial to set up, inexpensive to run and provides the single launch point for the admins. If its opt-in there'd probably only be a few thousand users max, so bandwidth would not be onerous. People that care can subscribe to it, and people that don't won't have many grounds to complain about being uninformed.

Dave, I don't think your comments were entirely fair. The perpetual flame wars are a symptom of a problem, not the cause. Get the teams set up, give them access to the tools and authority they need to do their job, let people who want to participate do so, and provide some kind of mechanism to interface the community with the management. And then let it run.

Trying to run the project from the top down is a mistake. It hasn't worked before, its not going to work now. No offense intended to anybody, its just what I think.

debianus
  • 2007/9/17 14:46

• debianus

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/12/17

Madfish wrote:

Quote:
Dave, I don't think your comments were entirely fair. The perpetual flame wars are a symptom of a problem, not the cause. Get the teams set up, give them access to the tools and authority they need to do their job, let people who want to participate do so, and provide some kind of mechanism to interface the community with the management. And then let it run. Trying to run the project from the top down is a mistake. It hasn't worked before, its not going to work now. No offense intended to anybody, its just what I think.

It would not be than difficult....

seth_sd
  • 2007/9/17 15:31

• seth_sd

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/9

Quote:

MadFish wrote:
Quote:

Why not set up a XOOPS security email list that people can subscribe to? Not only could it be used to provide timely security patch announcements, it could also be used to advise users of xoops.org downtime and similar issues. Ideally should not be on the same server, of course.

It should be trivial to set up, inexpensive to run and provides the single launch point for the admins. If its opt-in there'd probably only be a few thousand users max, so bandwidth would not be onerous. People that care can subscribe to it, and people that don't won't have many grounds to complain about being uninformed.

Dave, I don't think your comments were entirely fair. The perpetual flame wars are a symptom of a problem, not the cause. Get the teams set up, give them access to the tools and authority they need to do their job, let people who want to participate do so, and provide some kind of mechanism to interface the community with the management. And then let it run.

Trying to run the project from the top down is a mistake. It hasn't worked before, its not going to work now. No offense intended to anybody, its just what I think.

Absolutely!
"Why can't we have a car powered on a mixture of patchouli oil, ignorance, and double standards? There seems to be an inexhaustible supply of that sh1t." - LR

sailjapan

Well said, MadFish.

Crip
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

markesh
  • 2007/9/17 16:55

• markesh

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/7/14

I'm glad to see that there's a constructive discussion now on this topic

Just to mention it: I've gathered a list of XOOPS support sites all over the world on my site. It has about 30 items. Some of them could even be neglected. So it wouldn't be a great problem to send a cc-mail to each webmaster of those sites. In fact it's only ONE mail that has to be sent. The rest, as alredy mentioned, would be spread viral.

So the simple "plan b" would be:

(1) if sth happens, inform the community
(2) try to get it to work again.

If one single person works on (2), he also cares for (1)
If a team works on (2), they choose one person for (1). This shouldn't be a problem, because they communicate how to solve the server problem (I'm sure they do talk to each other... )

kind regards
markesh/karim
First German XOOPS book: XOOPS-Buch.de

sato-san
  • 2007/9/17 16:56

• sato-san

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/7/1 1

We need here a solution, so that for the next loss have a process. This process must be now defined clearly.

It does not go leading therefore a long discussion here. It goes finding here therefore a solution for the problem.

Here does none feel addressed?

Login

Who's Online

182 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 182

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits