Xman04
Re: How long is long enough?
  • 2007/9/6 12:16

• Xman04

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/12

Here are my thoughts on the subject:

I've also been very frustrated with lack of response to the majority of my questions, especially on the support sites of module developers. I'm actually giving up on using a very good module, because I cannot get any questions answered, not even a hint where to look for the answers. As much as I love the module, I cannot effectively use it without knowing the answers to my questions.

In my opinion, support should be made a priority for XOOPS and it's modules. Empowering users to effectively and successfully use XOOPS is what will drive the success of XOOPS and any XOOPS modules. If there is a significant portion of XOOPS members who become frustrated to the point of giving up on XOOPS or just putting out poor quality implementations of XOOPS, then that is going to have a very negative impact on both the public perception of XOOPS, and the future community support for XOOPS. With more users successfully utilizing XOOPS and its modules, there will be better public perception of XOOPS and more momentum and enthusiasm from the XOOPS community itself.

The key here is support! Developing an efficient and responsive support system for XOOPS and it's modules will be a major factor in driving the success of XOOPS. XOOPS will only be successful in the future if the people who use it are successful with it!

Furthermore, I have no issue with module developers who develop free XOOPS modules to help indirectly promote their own software business and web sites. I think that they deserve to have business opportunities, since they have volunteered much of their time to the XOOPS community. However, I think it is in their best interest to provide effective support to the users of their free modules. If potential clients see how successfully their free modules are being utilized by the XOOPS community, then that will be a great selling point for their services or fee based products! Seeing a forum with hundreds of unanswered questions and struggling users will turn away potential clients. Potential clients place a priority on support. The best product in the world is useless if the end user cannot utilize it effectively.

The most successful open source products of the future will be the products that provide the best support. The support of a product is just as important as the programming code behind the product.

debianus
  • 2007/9/6 14:01

• debianus

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/12/17

Quote:
In my opinion, support should be made a priority for XOOPS and it's modules. Empowering users to effectively and successfully use XOOPS is what will drive the success of XOOPS and any XOOPS modules. If there is a significant portion of XOOPS members who become frustrated to the point of giving up on XOOPS or just putting out poor quality implementations of XOOPS, then that is going to have a very negative impact on both the public perception of XOOPS, and the future community support for XOOPS. With more users successfully utilizing XOOPS and its modules, there will be better public perception of XOOPS and more momentum and enthusiasm from the XOOPS community itself.

The key here is support! Developing an efficient and responsive support system for XOOPS and it's modules will be a major factor in driving the success of XOOPS. XOOPS will only be successful in the future if the people who use it are successful with it!

Quote:
The most successful open source products of the future will be the products that provide the best support. The support of a product is just as important as the programming code behind the product.

Absolutelly yes.
Now the situation about this issue is:
1.- if you want support about any module you can:
- post here
- in the developer page
- in Module Dev forge.
It you have a suggestion, want report a bug or request a new feature...it is too much confuse and it is very possible that there is no feedback between users and module developer.
The Module repository is closed, and anyway is outdated.
The Module Development Team is not a Project Team, is out of here onhttp://www.xoopsmoddev.org/ and (ïn the future) in xoopsaddons.org.
There is a discussion about the new forums layout and where will be (here or in xoopsinfo.com).

Now look at drupal.org: in the forum there is no support about the modules; these are in a the home page, in a section, and each module has a section with excelent content: Date,Links, versions, Download, Release notes
Find out more, Bugs and feature requests.
It very easy find any module and all the neccesary information and support.

Wich are the problems here?
Xoops organization is confuse (what about community Teams?) and the people that could work in these and another questions have problems. We have lost very valuable people in the last months.
In the forums there are too much personal issues about the past; there are good ideas too, but in the end, lost.

You had post a very important issue; my opinion (look at drupal) could not be good. Other opinions could be better, any doubt. We can discuss about which is the better on modules repository, support, etc. But, castles in the sands

jfmoore
  • 2007/9/6 14:55

• jfmoore

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/6/6 5

Quote:

hervet wrote:

Quote:

jfmoore wrote:
I posted the following on August 5 on Instant-zero.com re News 1.55 (& 1.54):

http://xoops.instant-zero.com/modules/newbbex/viewtopic.php?topic_id=229&forum=1&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&start=0&

Four weeks, 424 views, a few replies, still no answer.

Did you took the pain to read the answers you HAD on our site ?
I don't think.

Yes, Hervet, I did. I'm looking at it right now as a matter of fact. Like I said, there were a few replies, but replies are not necessarily answers. I posted a screen shot showing that the notification is not there. The notification to which we are referring is, of course, the one for "new articles published in a given category." We are not talking about the one for "new articles submitted" which is there.

If it didn't make it into 1.54 & 1.55 as in your announcement, just say so. If it is supposed to be there, then where is it?

If anyone who reads this has News 1.54 or 1.55 installed, please check and see if you have this notification and post it here. If anyone else has it, then I either have multiple bad installs or I do not have the correct source files.

Jere

stefan88
  • 2007/9/6 19:53

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi,

in news 1.55 admin/preferences I have:

Global : New Topic (Receive notification when a new topic is created)
Global : New Story Submitted (Receive notification when any new story is submitted (awaiting approval))
Global : New Story (Receive notification when any new story is posted)

Story : Comment Added
Story : Comment Submitted
Story : Bookmark

Category : New Story Submited
Category : Bookmark.

For ExtCal try to play with server timezone and check the result ...

jfmoore
  • 2007/9/6 21:44

• jfmoore

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/6/6 5

Quote:

stefan88 wrote:
Hi,

in news 1.55 admin/preferences I have:

Global : New Topic (Receive notification when a new topic is created)
Global : New Story Submitted (Receive notification when any new story is submitted (awaiting approval))

Story : Comment Added
Story : Comment Submitted
Story : Bookmark

Category : New Story Submited
Category : Bookmark.

Exactly what mine shows. There is no "new story published in a given category".

Quote:

For ExtCal try to play with server timezone and check the result ...

How do you mean? In XOOPS admin? And, if I change it there, wouldn't it mess up everything else which depends upon the correct itme?

In the meantime, here's one for the X-files. Before last night, the last time I checked extCal, the time was between 8:00pm and 9:00pm, and the date had already changed. Last night, I checked each hour from 7:00pm on, and the darn thing didn't change the date until 1:00am. I can't say for sure, but I think it's just guessing. Wonder how you would code a "guess what day it is" algorithm?

One thing I do know is that a calendar module that doesn't know what day it is has limited utility. It's hard to believe that it hasn't been fixed, but then they won't even acknowledge the problem, let alone address it. Too bad, because it's a nice module.

Jere

sailjapan

doesn't
Quote:

mean the same as

Quote:
"new story published in a given category".
?

published...posted... same thing, no?

ah... it's the given category that you're after... never mind. disregard the above. sorry

Crip
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

Login

Who's Online

180 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 180

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits