JMorris
Re: Proposal for new forum structure on xoops.org: Comments invited.
  • 2007/8/28 11:19

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

XOOPSinfo.com, xoopsinfo.net, xoopsinfo.org, and xoopsinfo.info were donated to the XOOPS Foundation as my last donation/contribution to this project. That site (and reserved domains) are hosted on XOOPS Foundation servers (the new servers) and is entirely managed by the XOOPS Foundation. The team that manages that site are volunteers from the community who have proved over a very long term of service to XOOPS that they are capable of providing excellent support to the XOOPS community.

I could give a rats a$$ what the XOOPS project does now. I'm now a very happy Wordpress user. The only reason I'm bothering to post this message is to clarify for the ignorant minority that XOOPSinfo is not a "pet project"; that it is a community site built and managed by the community for the community.

P.S. Standard protocol when a volunteer leaves a project is to remove that user's account and change the passwords for any account that user had access to. I still have root level access to both the old and new servers. You best thank your lucky stars that I'm not a vengeful prick like Mikhail or Damaster.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

MadFish
  • 2007/8/28 11:48

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Can I ask if this thread has some sort of *official* sanction, ie. will the views expressed by the community be considered by the management? Or is it an 'unofficial' thread which will be totally ignored?

Seriously, I would like to know. Like many other people, I've been posting in 'wish list' threads for several years to no avail. It would be useful to know which threads are 'official' opportunities to provide input and which are not, because the unofficial ones (with all due respect to the orginal poster, who I know has good intentions) are a complete waste of people's time.

We need an officially recognised mechanism whereby ideas put forward by the community (or solicited feedback on whatever issue) can be reviewed and decided on. Otherwise we are pouring our energy down the drain.

Thanks.

phppp
  • 2007/8/28 12:15

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

JMorris wrote:

I still have root level access to both the old and new servers.

According to my knowledge, a paid contract between the human being behind the username of "JMorris" and the XOOPS Foundation is not ended yet, or at least the XOOPS Project Council is not officially informed by the Foundation for any relevant change yet.
I think the human being is responsible for XOOPS servers according to that contract - I have never been informed by the Foundation for the contract so I might misread the situation.

JMorris
  • 2007/8/28 12:28

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

That contract has been dissolved.

Please do not lie to the public, DJ. You were notified of this through the Google Groups discussion thread. This has also been discussed with Herko from the XOOPS Foundation. I was paid for 50% of the job and I have completed 50% of the job.

The XOOPS Foundation now has an enterprise class hosting environment ready to host the XOOPS Project's sites. Please contact Herko of the XOOPS Foundation for details on how to obtain access on this resource.

All that is left to do is moving the sites and fixing compatibility bugs with PHP5 and MySQL5, which is a job best left to developers, not server administrators. It would make no sense to pay me to do something that several capable people in this project are willing to do for free.

So, to clarify... My obligation as a contractor to this project is complete. Please remove my server access.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

skenow
  • 2007/8/28 12:49

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

Quote:

Peekay wrote:
+ Module Hacks
+ Module Hack Requests

Would be good to separate those. Annoying to see 'Winning Lottery Number Hack' as a post title... only to discover it's a request.

+ Developer Confirmed Bugs

I have seen this elsewhere and it works well. Got a problem, look here first to find a fix.

Might this be best left to the bug trackers at SF?

davidl2
  • 2007/8/28 13:03

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

To clarify: James, as he explained, had communicated his wish to leave the work at the stage he had reached, and this was mutually agreed between himself and Herko.

The majority of his required work had been done at this stage. Only a fairly small amount of work remains - and this is mostly code related.

James is also correct - the Foundation now owns the Domains (as can be checked via who-is) for XOOPSInfo - so very little excuses are left to stop it taking its proper position as Community forum site.

davidl2
  • 2007/8/28 13:05

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

skenow wrote:
Might this be best left to the bug trackers at SF?

Certainly.

I know they are not the easiest of things to use, but this would save duplication of work submitting issues.

homergz
  • 2007/8/28 13:09

• homergz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/5/21

Quote:

MadFish wrote:
Can I ask if this thread has some sort of *official* sanction, ie. will the views expressed by the community be considered by the management? Or is it an 'unofficial' thread which will be totally ignored?

I would like an answer to this also. It is time DJ to settle this. Please post an official message in regards to the status of the forums. Will community support be moving to XI or will they be restructured here according to this thread? Regardless of what decisions have been made in the past, there needs to be a clear and concise answer which needs to be adhered to. This community deservers that.

debianus
  • 2007/8/28 15:04

• debianus

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/12/17

About this proposal the problem is: which is the way for the future of XOOPS?. I do not know. The last notice was Moving forward: the project and the community with separate sites, but that proposal is suspend.
After there were notices about: Establishment of XOOPS Project Council, Announcement of the Project Team : Design, Announcement of the Project Team: Community Coordinator and Announcement of the Project Team : Core Developement.
Nothing about Community Teams; the Module Dev Team had must that find site and resources for them (xoopsmoddev.org); xoopsaddson.org is been designed, xoopsinfo.com is active, xoopswiki.org is active. But now there is a proposal about some forums on modules...in xoops.org and the community support will be here ¿?. There are a lot of work in these sites: recycle bin?.
Please, if the plan exposed in Moving Forward is suspend, someone shall tell us which is the new layout.
Agree with Madfish: which is the sense of this discussion if nobody knows where will be the community support and modules support?.

davidl2
  • 2007/8/28 15:59

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

The support forums for XOOPSAddons is held at XOOPSInfo (indeed, the Addons team work forum, which is open for users to read, will be updated fairly regularly with any relevant information about the sites progress)

The support forums for XOOPSWiki.org is help at XOOPSInfo, and is used by Wiki contributors such as debianus, Giba and others

Login

Who's Online

239 user(s) are online (166 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 239

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits