koralex90
Template Overriding??..
  • 2007/7/12 13:58

• koralex90

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/15

I want to edit my templates so I wanted to do it through template overriding. However, when I tried following this (https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3367)tutorial, i just couldnt cause it was so vague.. and i dont know what they are saying.. lol

Is there any other tutorial out there that is clear and straight forward? Or else please recommend me a way to edit my templates without cloning them.. Thanks.

someguyiknow
Re: Template Overriding??..

I use dreamweaver to edit all my files if you don't have that resource I guess cloning would be easist since you can see what's in the template..

Dreamweaver works great not sure if they have any other editors out there that you can use / but even if you want to you can go old school and use notepad..

Make a back up of the current files ../modules/system/templates

and make another duplication of them some where else so that way you have a back up and just work from note pad and upload your files and refresh check changes if no go CTRL+Z works great but if you can't go back that far then you will need to restore from back-up it's a long process but we all have been there. :) Hope it helps.

skenow
Re: Template Overriding??..
  • 2007/7/13 19:58

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

Very basic -
1. Template overriding works in XOOPS 2.0.14 and later
2. Template overriding only works if you are using the default template (Administration Menu > System Admin > Preferences: Default template set = default)
3. Template overrides are placed in the themes/yourtheme/modules/ folder

Let's say you want to have a different template for the site closed page.

In your theme folder, create a modules/ folder
In yourtheme/modules/, create a system/ folder
Now you have:
xoopsurl/
- themes/
---yourtheme/
-----modules/
-------system/

Copy xoopsurl/modules/system/templates/system_siteclosed.html to xoopsurl/themes/yourtheme/modules/system/system_siteclosed.html

xoopsurl/themes/yourtheme/modules/system/system_siteclosed.html will override the original template - make any changes to this file and leave the original untouched.

To see the changes you made, you will need to clear the cache/ and templates_c/ folders and enable Check templates for modifications in Administration Menu > System Admin > Preferences:

As far as editing the html files, I'm going to leave that up to you. But, here is a link to a set of system templates I modified to xHTML compliance

Login

Who's Online

157 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 157

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits