BlueStocking
Re: Terms of use and XOOPSiquette review

EXCELLENT!

Quote:

second, some language may not be appropriate for a business environment. Can you picture the poor schmuck trying to sell his boss on the benefits of Xoops, opening the support site only to find foul language. it could be just one word. It doesn't matter how good the support is,or how great of a CMS that XOOPS is, that one word, doesn't matter what it is, will stick out like a sore thumb. XOOPS lost. Been there, not fun.

I certainly cannot argue with that argument. Post #30
IT IS VALID!

I got caught up in the drama and forgot where I was.
Thank you!
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

Peekay
  • 2007/7/2 22:34

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

The language in the forum that will put people of XOOPS is not profanity. It is seing topic titles like 'Xoops admin hacked', 'Xoops is vulnerable', 'Xoops is dangerous', 'Xoops is a security threat'.

If someone wanted to systematically damage the reputation of Xoops, starting threads with titles like this is the way to do it.

IMHO moderators should adopt a policy to change these topic titles to reflect the truth.

If the poster can substantiate that their admin HAS been hacked via a XOOPS vulnerability (and not a web host's poor server security, or their own failure to set file permissions properly) then leave the thread alone to develop a solution. If not, then [unsubstantiated] should be added to the title.

If in doubt, the 'unsubstantiated' suffix should be added to all such posts as soon as they are spotted.

Considering the public perception of XOOPS as a viable CMS right now, swearing is the last of your worries.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

MadFish
  • 2007/7/3 2:23

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

One of the main things I am concerned with is personal attacks being made in the forums - not just language, but any form of blatant disrespect and venom. I do not think this kind of behaviour should be tolerated at all - that sort of thing *should* be shut down by moderators IMO.

Please note that I am absolutely *not* in favour of censoring ideas or criticism. I just think people should be able to express their views *without* getting personal, and they should offer criticism in a respectful manner.

Anyway, thanks for reviewing the XOOPSiquette, it is a good idea and I appreciate the open/facilitated dicussion. Proof that the community can work together positively when offered a chance - and when they think people are listening.

kc0maz
  • 2007/7/3 3:12

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/4/18

Quote:

Peekay wrote:
The language in the forum that will put people of XOOPS is not profanity. It is seing topic titles like 'Xoops admin hacked', 'Xoops is vulnerable', 'Xoops is dangerous', 'Xoops is a security threat'.

If someone wanted to systematically damage the reputation of Xoops, starting threads with titles like this is the way to do it.

This is true, on several different levels.

If there is a 'real' security threat to XOOPS based web sites, we need to get it in front of the developers, pronto.

Like the little boy who cried "wolf" how many false security threat will it take, before they start to ignore them. All it takes is just one hole....

I am working on a system or process that would get them off the front page, authenticated, then either to the developers or else where.
Some dream of success, while others wake up and work for it.
--unknown

irmtfan
  • 2007/7/3 5:27

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

everybody here please note we are leaving ( my funny typo) living in the real word and no rules can work 100% for every issue.
rules can not work if you get them solid so we should consider flexibility too.it means we should use trustworthy and well-skilled moderators.

in general we have some common rules to moderate a forum. there is not big differences between them.
some rules like: "be polite" , "personal attacks is not allowed" ,"no offensive language" ,"use a proper subject related to your issue","send your topic in a proper forum", " one topic for one question" , ...
some specific from examples mentioned at this topic:
Quote:

no one include a moderator know if he intends to "damage the reputation of Xoops" or it is a real issue. in most of the time even the starter dont know this is a XOOPS issue or server issue.
so a well-skilled moderator can judge and help.

Quote:

So for the purpose of the code of conduct; can we say we will not allow the FCC's seven forbidden words for broadcast, plus any other words depending on the context they are used?

what is exactly an offensive language? it depends on different tunes and positions.
could you filter some words like "hell" in every sentences?
im against of any systematic censorship. again we should trust on moderators.

Quote:

Use meaningful subjects in the forum and comments which give information about your posting. Do not use subjects like "Help! I’m lost".

it is just a guideline.i prefer to name it guideline more that rules. moderator will not ban member that failed to open a topic with a proper subject.
for example when someone's open his site and find it is hacked.he has no thought at the moment maybe he just come here and start a topic with any subject like : "help me. im hacked!"
again a well-skilled moderator can find a proper solution.

also you should consider a moderator has a personal life and he is a human anyway and do some faults.
a moderator can not be online and monitor forum for 24*7 hours.
IMO you should take a maximum 2 hours per day for each moderator not more.

personally i totally agreed with the code of conduct from XI. i am a member of communication team and we discuss about that in many posts. and finally reach to that. so it is a rule that obtain by many active Xoopsers more than here in xoops.org (yes it is a fact)

anyway in my point of view "term of use" is most important part when we come to ban a user.

i like 2 rules (plus more come from you guys) there:
1- every member should have one account. if someone has more than one account moderators have the rights to delete all of them. and send a caution and ... finally ban

2- if anyone abuse or attempt to abuse members or try to hack site or hijack
and misuse user accounts he will receive a permanent account and IP banning

Peekay
  • 2007/7/3 10:56

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:

kc0maz wrote:
I am working on a system or process that would get them off the front page, authenticated, then either to the developers or else where.

That is an excellent idea. Personally, I would prohibit (and delete) hack reports in the public forum altogether and instead create a form that enabled people to submit details.

I appeciate Irmtfan's comment that no-one can be sure that an reported exploit is valid to start with, but surely this should be investigated by a moderator first. I'm confident someone on one of the new teams with server security experience could take on that responsibility.

If a security issue with XOOPS or a module is found, alert the community officially in the 'security' news section. If users were able to subscribe to security news for email notifications, everyone would be kept aware of genuine threats.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

seth_sd
  • 2007/7/3 13:08

• seth_sd

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/9

It seems as though there is an awful lot of time being spent on this subject which is almost unsolvable. I think there ought to be some consideration of just letting the forums go where they may.

It is always going to be some individual moderators opinion as to what is a flame, offensive language etc.. Having reports of hacks of XOOPS is not going to turn people away especially if they see a solid response from the community.

If somebody is "flaming" or "offending" on the forums, let the community respond in kind and offer a solid defense of the system or person in question. If they have a legitimate point that "XOOPS", "developer A" or "moderator B" has done something wrong then let it stand and chalk it up to experience. People may think twice before something good, but, they'll certainly rethink posting their whining if they feel like they'll get a proper dress down on these forums.

Everyone will be held to a higher standard by the community response and trust me it will be a much more informative (and entertaining)site. Much of this whining and complaining lingers around here because nobody gets shot down in flames in a public forum like they should. Let it be aired and it will solve itself. We all know who the idiots are and we know who can let their work and reputations stand on their own.
"Why can't we have a car powered on a mixture of patchouli oil, ignorance, and double standards? There seems to be an inexhaustible supply of that sh1t." - LR

kc0maz
  • 2007/7/3 15:15

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

Quote:

seth_sd wrote:
.. Having reports of hacks of XOOPS is not going to turn people away especially if they see a solid response from the community.

Having the reports themselves will not hurt Xoops, Have the reports with no response will
Quote:

If somebody is "flaming" or "offending" on the forums, let the community respond in kind and offer a solid defense of the system or person in question. If they have a legitimate point that "XOOPS", "developer A" or "moderator B" has done something wrong then let it stand and chalk it up to experience. People may think twice before something good, but, they'll certainly rethink posting their whining if they feel like they'll get a proper dress down on these forums.

Mob rule? an interesting idea,
if everyone cared what other people thought.
however, some don't.

Quote:

Everyone will be held to a higher standard by the community response and trust me it will be a much more informative (and entertaining)site. Much of this whining and complaining lingers around here because nobody gets shot down in flames in a public forum like they should. Let it be aired and it will solve itself. We all know who the idiots are and we know who can let their work and reputations stand on their own.

[marketing cap] What kind of image do we want XOOPS to portray? The moderators as well as the site designers will have to build and maintain this image.[/marketing cap]

I have resisted the urge to say this, because I know some will be offended.

It is time we start thinking more as a business. [Human Resources cap] Other business are made up of more than just one type of person, they have designers, customer service people, marketing people, and managers. Businesses invest in getting the very best people they can to work for them and get those people to work as a team. Those that cause problems within the team, are dismissed, before they can do much damage to the image of the business.

The XOOPS project doesn't offer money in return for service, or at least I don't think anyone is getting paid. We do offer experience, and some resume padding. Think of adding this to your resume next time you are applying a job.
Quote:

Project manager for XOOPS CMS

the person on the other side of the desk is going to ask, and research and find out what kind of project is Xoops. What do you want them to see?

Right now, we need to get the right people with right knowledge, skills and abilities in the right positions[/Human Resources cap][marketing cap]and build the image of the XOOPS Project in to one of respect. [/marketing cap]

There is more to my little rant, however this is not the place nor the time.
--unknown

chippyash
  • 2007/7/3 17:32

• chippyash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/1/29

I like Vaughans suggestions for using Xoopsinfo code of conduct.

kc0maz
  • 2007/7/3 18:11

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

Propose the following change to the terms of use:
Quote:

2.NO UNLAWFUL OR PROHBIITED USE

By using the XOOPS Sites, you warrant to XOOPS that you will not use the XOOPS Sites, or any of the content obtained from the XOOPS Sites, for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these Terms. If you violate any of these Terms, your permission to use the XOOPS Sites automatically terminates.

to this:

Quote:

2.NO UNLAWFUL OR PROHBIITED USE

By using the XOOPS Sites, you warrant to XOOPS that you will not use the XOOPS Sites, or any of the content obtained from the XOOPS Sites, for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these Terms. If you violate any of these Terms, your permission to use the XOOPS Sites automatically terminates. Any unlawful activities will be reported to law enforcement. XOOPS.org and its agents will cooperate fully with any law enforcement agency.
--unknown

Login

Who's Online

211 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 211

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits