BlueStocking
Re: Links at the bottom of my page as XOOPS

Excuse me!

I didn't mean to confuse anyone.
selecting and getting a "content" module is viable, the same as making three seperate html pages. Me being html literate along with being an ie3 user I tend to go with what makes my life easier. In this case it would be static pages.

https://xoops.org/modules/wfchannel/index.php?pagenum=3
The above link shows XOOPS uses the wfchannel content module.

Now consider...
Current help page...
https://xoops.org/modules/wfchannel/

Another reason why the html may be more satisfactory than going with the content module used by xoops.org.

Source Article
Modules : WF-Channel V2.00RC Released (Bug and Security Fixed) Posted by [removedbyrequest] on 2007/4/9 19:02:59 (952 reads) download from here if you want the fixed version. >>http://addons.zarilia.com/index.php?page_type=static&id=41

I apologize.
Good luck,
And I do mean that, I was trying to help.
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

adrock
  • 2007/6/22 21:35

• adrock

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/12/7

What you are asking about is called an "Anchor" tag, with a 'name' attribute....

Works the same as a tradtional link, except that it directs to a specified position on the page it is linking to.

Create your pages and site BEFORE you start banging your head on the HTML wall about your theme. It is fairly apparent that you are not familiar with html/xhtml/css coding. This is not a negative comment, but rather an aknowledgement.

Start by choosing an article module, or another method to create the static html pages you will eventually want to link to. My personal preference is the 'MyPage' method.....but I am also experienced at html coding.

Once you have created the pages that you want, THEN you can address creating links in your footer that will go to the places you need them to go to.

IMHO it is very difficult to concepualize how the footer links work, if you don't have anything yet for them to work with

Any 'decent' theme available freely for xoops, 9.9 times out of 10 has the <$xoops_footer> smarty tag in it. If it doesn't, pick a different theme until you are more familiar with the inner workings of XOOPS and it's themeing and templating system.

Another way of saying that is: XOOPS admin area has a meta tag and footer section added to it specifically for this purpose. Use it. Don't further complicate matters by reinventing the wheel!

Anchor tag information here: CLICK ME

AMS (Article Management System): CLICK HERE

Smart Section: CLICK HERE

Happy Xoopsing!
Affordable Web Hosting - Family - Fun!...and not always in that order!

BlueStocking

RE: by adrock on 2007/6/22 16:35:58

I am inclinded to think someone who would rather edit a theme.html file and was not intimated by putting html links in the footer when found out where it was located probably is a lot like me; comfortable around html but lost in the smarty tag/php XOOPS world. He is attempting to duplicate this site (around a theme) as I am attempting to do on the end user site. We both have found to do what the theme should do naturally we need more modules.

Now, the question is are they available from XOOPS or do we have to go outside xoops.org to find them. Are they bug free?

psaxtiri
  • 2007/6/23 4:38

• psaxtiri

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2007/6/17

Good morning.

First of all I would like to say that all the answers from everyone till now are very helpful and makes the dialogue more creative.
As I see wfchannel is for static html pages. Am I correct?
If I want to use this module as XOOPS what do I have to do?
don't forget! what XOOPS does in this site is ok for me.
Install etc..

PS: I can write html but I am tring to use the more easy way.

PS 2: What version from smartsection module do i have to download for XOOPS 2.2.3 Final?
Greece.
Xoops 2.0.18.12

bleu_
  • 2007/6/23 5:34

• bleu_

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/8/1 2

As I see wfchannel is for static html pagesAm I correct?

I would recommend rather smartsection or news to be used, they are more updated than wfchannel.

To use the modules go into Adminitration menu > and click on the module icon after you have installed it.

See if SmartSection 2.13 Final works.

BlueStocking

Resized Image

EXAMPLE above, I created a folder on my desktop, it was so crowded I made the folder so as to show that 'save as' would also create a folder that goes with the htm file.

You can then edit the htm page for the iformation you want to display with whatever changes you deem necessary, you can do this with your own html editor. I use frontpage.

Of course, you will use your own theme when you save as and copy and paste or create from scratch the appropiate text.

That is all there is to creating a new html page with the static information you want.

Link to that page. In this example it is on my server and my link would be...
http://xoops-end-user.com/xoopshelper/termsofuse.htm
It is then ready to link to from the footer as previously talked about. It's done... no content module needed. The links and theme will be uninform with the rest of your site.

NOTE: Another advantage of doing it this way is that you have an additional trouble shooting tool if the site goes down. If you can get to this page then the problem is xoops, if you can't the problem is your server. This method provides an independent login in the event you accidently turn off the login feature to yourself. Happens often accordig to the questions on this site. I even did it.

There are many practical reasons for doing it this way.
Including outright cost of service bytewise. Additional unneeded modules for static pages are not cost effective and could at some point in time become a target for mischieve. As the current WF-Channel.

Google even gives preference to those including some pure html pages as standing out from the norm.

Ok, I've stated my case... XOOPS is great, but you sleep better when you intergrate it with other programing formatsfor backup purposes.

Good luck... and welcome aboard!

psaxtiri
  • 2007/6/23 8:09

• psaxtiri

• Not too shy to talk

I will use smart section module.

The problem is that because i am trying different module this time till i find what i want to keep and what not, sometimes i install a module and then i unistall it again.

Then if i go to install the same module again, the system say "this thing exists already.."

Because i done this many times (!!) i don't remebrer the module i done it for ..so i want in some way to delete from my database everything i don't use. Every table i don't use. But i don't remember the relative table names to search for.

Tell me this and i am done!!
Greece.
Xoops 2.0.18.12

Anonymous
  • 2007/6/23 8:20

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
psaxtiri wrote:

I will use smart section module.

Very wise - excellent module still being developed and supported

Quote:
psaxtiri wrote:

Then if i go to install the same module again, the system say "this thing exists already.."

This shouldn't happen, and doesn't if you correctly install and uninstall a module.

Uninstalling a module is a three-step process:

1. In Admin, "deactivate" the module
2. In Admin, "uninstall" the (deactivated) module
3. Then, and [u]only[/] after steps 1 & 2, remove the module from your /modules directory on the server.

HTH

psaxtiri
  • 2007/6/23 8:22

• psaxtiri

• Not too shy to talk

I did it using the WF-channel module.

Just one question. The HTML page i did has too much text and users must scroll down the whole screen to read it.

Is there a way to put my entire text into scrolling bars?
Greece.
Xoops 2.0.18.12

Login

Who's Online

184 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 184

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits