zaphmann
Security & Install issue: Protector and Xoopsinfo modules not in Admin
  • 2007/5/24 20:12

• zaphmann

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/5/22

I've been stuck on a module install issue for 2 days and a previous post on this seems not to have got into the system.

This is my first XOOPS install. I carefully added backup, xoopsinfo and protector per instructions. (they are in correct folders on my host site.

First time into Module Administartor 'backup' icon was there (and then activated fine) but the other two cannot be seen. I have tried reloading the images files and the modules themselves and checked they all have the same security setting for permissions.

still no show.

I am worried as I am half way through the Protector install so am leaving a huge security hole - plus I am dying to get past the install to try out Xoops!

Please advise. (PS my Host environment has all the latest levels of Apache etc.)

Thanks
Zaph

skenow
Re: Security & Install issue: Protector and Xoopsinfo modules not in Admin
  • 2007/5/24 20:58

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

Have you uploaded any other modules to your site (like Article or CBB)? Those modules REQUIRE Frameworks and will affect the display of modules in System Admin if Frameworks is not present.

Anonymous
  • 2007/5/24 21:08

• Anonymous

• Since:

Hi,

First thing to do is double check that your /cache, /templates_c and /uploads directories are writeable.

HTH

zaphmann
  • 2007/5/24 23:53

• zaphmann

• Just popping in

Hello & thanks for the tips.
All those folders are set the same (backup showed the others didn't) at 774.
Frameworks was already there (in the right place) - I downloaded it again and found some user guide that had "4. configure preferences where applicable" - BUT i Have no clue as to how I get to some interface to set these preferencess...

I added NewBB, which had permissions set at 755 and it loaded and appeared in Module Adin just fine.

Is it always this hard? Or does it get easier once the basics are installed?

Another day passes...

Thanks again
Zaph

skenow
  • 2007/5/25 0:48

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

No, it isn't always this difficult...

Here is a link to a screenshot of how your folder structure should look (with a lot more modules installed!)

Like JAVesey said, permissions on cache, templates_c and uploads should be writable. (I have had to experiment on different servers to find the exact settings - it depends a lot on your server configuration).

I'm not sure what you don't see - the icon to install the module, the icon of the installed modules, or the icon for the module in the Admin Menu. Each instance has a different approach.

If the module icons do display on the left, delete adminmenu.php from your cache/ folder. You will get the message this is the first time you have entered the admin area, but it will rebuild the admin menu.

MadFish
  • 2007/5/25 2:56

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
All those folders are set the same (backup showed the others didn't) at 774.

1. Try changing the permissions to 777 (for uploads, cache and templates_c). Sometimes you can use lower permissions on these folders, but not on all servers.

2. In cache, delete adminmenu.php (it will rebuild itself). Sometimes this clears 'disapearing module' behaviour.

3. I have had problems with the protector module logo not appearing before, due (I think) to lack of GD library on my server.

Tobias
  • 2007/5/25 5:11

• Tobias

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/9/13

I guess all your directories (folders) should have 755 as their permissions. If they're 774, then owner and group can read+write+execute, and world can only read. Group does mostly not need to write to them (second digit), but world has to execute (or, in the case of directories, have the ability to dig into them), lest it doesn't get into the folder to execute the scripts that are inside. So, I find it utterly unsurprising that you're having the problem you seem to be having.

755 for folders and 644 for php files are often appropriate permissions. Just to make sure: I'm talking about ALL folders. cache and templates_c might still need 777, although they're fine with 755 at my webhost. Your mainfile.php shouldn't be writable at all (444, or even 400 does it at my host).
www.affvu.org

stefan88
  • 2007/5/25 12:33

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi,

try to activate php debug mode, go to your module admin page and look for clues there. ignore all notices.

to activate php debug go to administration -> system -> preferences -> general and select php debug for debug mode.

zaphmann
  • 2007/5/25 17:02

• zaphmann

• Just popping in

Hello Friends, thanks for your help so far.

I ensured all the permissions were 777 and deleted the adminmenu.php and set debug on.

Still the same situation.

In the module admin screen there are two mods loaded, one at the bottom (ready to go) and two missing (not anywhere on the screen but the folders are there on the system, as is frameworks. All have been redownloaded and re FTP'd.

The only error showing in debug at that screen is:
Notice: Constant _DB_POSLINE_DESC already defined in file /modules/backup/language/english/modinfo.php line 24

At this point I'm clueless as to what to try.

Best
Zaph

stefan88
  • 2007/5/25 20:04

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi,

first what is your XOOPS version, module versions, platform (windows/linux) web server/version php version.

do you see something like "Module file not found ..."? (not shure about the exact text)

Try to upload/install modules one by one (delete the modules that do not apear and uload one, install it, upload second, install it...). Frameworks will not apear in module list.

Login

Who's Online

214 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 214

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits