rpilney
database hangs when site loads
  • 2007/5/23 19:33

• rpilney

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/25

I went through a few pages of posts and searched the site but did not find anything specific to this topic and if there is please forward me that direction.

My MySQL database that XOOPS uses loads the site in about 4-5 minutes and will do that for a day or so then be fine. It was fine for about 18 months without issue. My hosting company says it has to do with my database and not them. I have the xoopscare module on there and run the optimize and repair.

I also have the optimize module and ran that and showed everything optimized.

My database is roughly 25 megs.

Any ideas for a very green person at this? I can set up the site and such but not much good with a database.

Thanks,
Roger

shalommemphi
Re: database hangs when site loads

I wouldn't just assume the hosting company is telling you the truth.

First, if your account is hosted on a shared server that host many sql databases(usually the low cost hosting companies) that would be my first question.

Ask the company if they have a link to a page that shows the server status, how much use is it getting and at times.
Helping each other with Knowledge

rpilney
  • 2007/5/23 20:14

• rpilney

• Just popping in

I asked them and they said they don't have that to share with me. yep it's the cheap one. Godaddy.

I have been on the phone with them off and on for days. sometimes the site loads fine and others it just times out.

driving me crazy and I am not technically skilled enough to make them jump hoops.

I have a few friends a little more skilled than I am that have tried to help. Example pinged the sql server and no connect well come to find out they don't allow that anyway.

shalommemphi

I am familiar with GoDaddy, and wan't excited using them for my sql database it was even limited I believe in uploading my sql files from my prior hosting company, was going to have to break the files up into smaller ones. I personally have been happy with bluehost.com service. Nothing wrong with GoDaddy either but like you said, you don't get access to some helpful tools and info.

Note: They still should be able to confirm if the sql servers are having heavy loads on them to help you in confirming your problem.

Are you using cache options in your site setup?
Helping each other with Knowledge

rpilney
  • 2007/5/24 20:15

• rpilney

• Just popping in

yep I am using cache settings in my site. Helps allot. So with godaddy I get 25 DB's of MySQL for free. I had setup 12 or so but was only using 4 for various things. They tell me I am only limited on DB size by the amount of storage I get with my site which is 100 gigs.

My DB for XOOPS is only 25 mgs so that did not make since. Either way I decided to go and delete all the DB's not being used. No my site loads better than ever.

I don't know why that is or what the cause was. Most of the db's I setup were ones that I was trying to figure things out with about 18 months ago that most had nothing in them.

Doesn't make much since to me but it is working now. So my only tip for people with an issue like this is to delete unused databases if your use godaddy.

Thanks!

Quote:

shalommemphi wrote:
I am familiar with GoDaddy, and wan't excited using them for my sql database it was even limited I believe in uploading my sql files from my prior hosting company, was going to have to break the files up into smaller ones. I personally have been happy with bluehost.com service. Nothing wrong with GoDaddy either but like you said, you don't get access to some helpful tools and info.

Note: They still should be able to confirm if the sql servers are having heavy loads on them to help you in confirming your problem.

Are you using cache options in your site setup?

rpilney
  • 2008/5/20 4:15

• rpilney

• Just popping in

I am still having this issue. Site hangs or will not load at all. Hosting company says there is nothing wrong on their end (of course). I have optimized the tables using the optimize module as well as one at a time through their control panel. All say optimized. I don't know what else to make of this.

HELP! :( please

Catzwolf
  • 2008/5/20 5:44

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

25meg for a database size is the norm for a XOOPS site. One way to test out your theory if it is the database or not, would be to use a free hosting service and copy everything across to the free one and see if you still get the same issue. (http://x10hosting.com)

Have you tried deactivating all your modules to see if it is XOOPS or it is one of the modules that you have installed that is causing your problem?

rpilney
  • 2008/5/20 22:34

• rpilney

• Just popping in

thanks for the reply. I have not tried but will now turning off the modules. The reply from my hosting company:

Thank you for contacting Hosting Support.

We have checked the load on your web server and the processes on the MySQL servers hosting your site. We have found nothing to be outside of our normal operating limits. We would recommend checking with the publisher of your forum application for any patches or tweaks which my aid your site's performance.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,
Moe F.
Hosting Support
Hosting Operations

My DB size is 10.3 megs as of last night.

Catzwolf
  • 2008/5/20 22:44

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

When you say your site hangs or does not load, do you mean you get a white page? What makes you think that it is your datanase that is casuing the issue here, it could be something else that is causing the conflict here.

Are you able to turn on XOOPS debugging and see if that actually throws out anything helpful here.

rpilney
  • 2008/5/20 22:48

• rpilney

• Just popping in

I ran the debugging and got quite a bit in PHP debug mode.

Warning [PHP]: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in file header.php line 93
Warning [PHP]: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in file header.php line 109
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: link in file header.php line 129
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: link in file header.php line 130
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: link in file header.php line 131
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: link in file header.php line 132
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: link in file header.php line 133
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: link in file header.php line 134
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: link in file header.php line 135
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: link in file header.php line 136
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: link in file header.php line 137
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: link in file header.php line 138
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: player_names in file class/xoopsblock.php(146) : eval()'d code line 1
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: player_names in file class/xoopsblock.php(146) : eval()'d code line 1
Notice [PHP]: Use of undefined constant _MI_FUNGAMES_NAME - assumed '_MI_FUNGAMES_NAME' in file modules/fungames/xoops_version.php line 28
Notice [PHP]: Use of undefined constant _MI_FUNGAMES_DESC - assumed '_MI_FUNGAMES_DESC' in file modules/fungames/xoops_version.php line 30
Notice [PHP]: Use of undefined constant _MI_FUNPICTURES_NAME - assumed '_MI_FUNPICTURES_NAME' in file modules/funpictures/xoops_version.php line 28
Notice [PHP]: Use of undefined constant _MI_FUNPICTURES_DESC - assumed '_MI_FUNPICTURES_DESC' in file modules/funpictures/xoops_version.php line 30
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: rowRecordset2 in file modules/donations/blocks/Donat_o_Meter.php line 121
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: numrows in file modules/xoopspartners/blocks/partners.php line 86

Login

Who's Online

191 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 191

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits