stevez_de
XOOPS 4.0 “Xoosphere”
  • 2005/6/3 20:04

• stevez_de

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/2 2

Hi,
I joined xoops.org after reading this Roadmap. Wow you got many good comments for this, not bad.

My first impression was, uhh a 7 tier architecture, ok why not. But after a closer look it seems to be more a design diagram.

After reading :
> - Developers will have a consistent and expectable platform to build on, with libraries to help them build any type of Web-based application, not just “XOOPS modules”.

Yes ... this version will be more than a simple CMS system ... and maybe fulfill my requirements :).
I like to have a system where you can edit content as simple as in a wiki or manage several group tasks.
Maybe support single sign on (Liberty Alliance), handle digital keys (signed mails is the only real spam protection) and so on.

Here some comments to the layer:

Exxos
I am not sure if i understand everything but I think idea with the configurations is realy good.
Seems for like a kind of IOC () for configuration parameters, isn't it?

XOOPS kernel
Looks like we will get some nice functions which i missed until now.
Maybe the kernel can handle dependencies between modules/application and create the required objects (maybe this is planned).
Many frameworks using IOC to dissolve dependencies between modules or even classes or managing modules on kernel level (e.g. OSGI).
Another key function of many frameworks is the support of transactions is it not required?

XoopsData/XoopsDb
I like this approach to have a interface for data as a core service.
Another idea is to support versioning on system level. I think in the context of CMS this is very important that.

CoreServices
Maybe other core services could be:
* a notification repository/service ( is it not supported yet it the current system?) to be able of creating push services.
* a basic messaging service for the communication between application
* a time service (the time is different on the world - :) )
* an optional support of categories ( i think for almost all content objects categories should be assignable - like labels in gmail :) ) Maybe a category and a group is something similar!?!

System modules
What i did't like in the current version, there are so many "functions" in the system module but not all apps need all those functions.
I would prefer more separation not all kind of application need stuff like "avatars", "user ranks","comments" .....
Even groups or user should be a separate module.

The first think what i did, i got a snapshot from CVS for xoops4. May it is stupid but one of the first thinks to do is to define the
folder structure of the system and document this. In xoops2 the structure is not completely clear for me :).

I hope somebody is interested in my comments.

bye Steve

Mithrandir
Re: XOOPS 4.0 “Xoosphere”

Thank you for your comments.

*reading and digesting*

dreamgear
PHP5 ?
  • 2005/8/9 6:17

• dreamgear

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/7/18

So XooSphere will require PHP5 ?

As another noted, not many hosting companies are deploying PHP5. Anyone know otherwise ?

Also, a conceptual diagram might help us get our minds around the roadmap.

skalpa
Re: PHP5 ?
  • 2005/8/9 6:58

• skalpa

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/4/16

Quote:
As another noted, not many hosting companies are deploying PHP5. Anyone know otherwise ?

No...
But recent changes and arrivals in the development team, and the fact I had absolutely no time to dedicate to XOOPS during the latest months as opposed to what I had planned is going to make us change our plans a little.

Before requiring PHP5 this project started as a major refactoring of the XOOPS 2 core, and some of the work that has been made for it could be released as part of a future XOOPS 2.X version.
So in fact you may not have to wait for the global adoption of PHP5 by hosting companies to enjoy them.

More information will be given during the month, but we first have to prepare a few things before making public announcements: the point is that we're starting to have a real dev team for the first time, with more than just 2-3 people active simultaneously, all motivated and having ideas about different points, so we want to synchronise our minds before rushing into action.

About diagrams and things like this: One of the things that will evolve also is the methodology used to make the core. And documentation, technical diagrams, and explanations of what is being done while it's being done will be part of the game too.
So come back later this month. If you see that things are in the work, but feel unable to understand what or how, your complaints will be welcome.

skalpa.>
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, and more complex. It takes a touch of genius, a lot of courage, to move in the opposite direction.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the 1st one (A.Einstein)

Marco
Re: PHP5 ?
  • 2005/8/9 7:00

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

Quote:

the point is that we're starting to have a real dev team for the first time, with more than just 2-3 people active simultaneously, all motivated and having ideas about different points, so we want to synchronise our minds before rushing into action.

héhé, cooooool !

marco
Do synergy or die.

srmcatee
  • 2005/11/11 21:40

• srmcatee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/22

Hello,

I've read thru the road map for XOOPS 4.0. This sounds like quite a monumental undertaking. Will other parts of Xoops2.0 be operational with XOOPS 4.0?

It would be a shame for all module and enhancement development to come to a halt while 4.0 is continuing development. I know of a few other open source projects that backed up and re-launched themselves in a grand technical theme. Needless to say, they are still developing.

Keep in mind, time is your shortest resource, not technology.
Steve
ChurchLedger.com - A Xoops Module Developer

Sm0ka
  • 2007/4/22 18:43

• Sm0ka

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/25

Quote:
Before requiring PHP5 this project started as a major refactoring of the XOOPS 2 core, and some of the work that has been made for it could be released as part of a future XOOPS 2.X version.
So in fact you may not have to wait for the global adoption of PHP5 by hosting companies to enjoy them.

I read in forums about new release. My host let me choose php4 or php5. What should i choose for the ractored XOOPS 2 core and about official modules?

"Sm0ka" I know not what i know, but i know what i do not know, therefore i am complete.

Marco
  • 2007/4/22 20:26

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

xoops should run with php5 without heavy difficulties.
if you make use of must have modules, all of them are php5 compliant.
about xoopsphere, i think that roadmap was a dream. with some chance we should reach it in 2012.
marco
Do synergy or die.

davidl2
  • 2007/4/22 20:44

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

No - Xoopshere will be the eventual goal after the completion of 2.4 upwards.

Login

Who's Online

211 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 211

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits