MadFish
Re: The Wave of Change IS Upon Us!
  • 2007/4/19 15:20

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Actually there's quite a few people trying to improve things. Problem is we don't have the authority or access to make changes ourselves. This thread is about trying to set up some mechanism that will allow community members to influence what is going on. I don't think that is 'painting over cracks'.

rustyg
  • 2007/4/19 15:23

• rustyg

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/4/19

Quote:

Catzwolf wrote:

And Rustyg, I don't know who you are but you are way off the mark and its those kind of remarks that just add fuel to a fire. Classing people like Hervet a troll was the last straw for me with Xoops. I now will no longer support XOOPS in any manner or form now.

I didn't call Hervet a troll. If you didn't notice, trolls have a troll rank.

Just voicin' my opinion as visitor.

Rusty

MadFish
  • 2007/4/19 15:33

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Let's not get distracted: So how about this idea of setting up a registered-members-only (eg. you) forum for debating the direction of the XOOPS project, management issues, security issues and so on?

What do you think?

Bender
  • 2007/4/19 15:49

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

rustyg ... please fix the wording on your (first) posting in this thread. Moderation will continue as it was previously. So bad word days are over.

Thanks in advance!

see also: here
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

gtop00
  • 2007/4/19 15:53

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/13

I am surprised learning that there is not a private forum at xoops.org
In our case (xoopsgreece.gr) it was made this way from the very first day!

What we have (different Groups):
Public forum: open to everybody – no need to register in order to read (and informed), must register to post.
Private forum for the administration team.
Private forum for the moderator’s team.

Simple as that!

There is not any reason to have “internal” discussions (related to the internal organization) opened to everybody. If something has to be discussed or published, then there is the public forum and news, where they can be posted.

My only concern is that I cannot see at a glance witch post belongs to the mentioned forums (may be colored differed?)

wtravel

Quote:
We treat each other with respect.
There are those that don't!

That is WHY the MEMBERS ONLY AREA would be a very good idea.
IT would be ONE category

To post messages you need to be a member. The people who do not know how to behave are also members and they will probably log in as well to follow the discussions.

Quote:

MadFish wrote:
And to be blunt: For business use, I can't recommend XOOPS in a proposal when I know the first thing the client (or in my case, donor) is going to see on xoops.org is a battlefield.

If they log on and see it, fine, but then at least it would be in a forum marked 'management issues' or something like that.

This sounds like a valid resaon to me. I think it may help at least to some extend.

wtravel

Quote:

gtop00 wrote:
I am surprised learning that there is not a private forum at xoops.org
In our case (xoopsgreece.gr) it was made this way from the very first day!

What we have (different Groups):
Public forum: open to everybody – no need to register in order to read (and informed), must register to post.
Private forum for the administration team.
Private forum for the moderator’s team.

There are several private forums for administrators and moderators on xoops.org, just not for all registered users (AFAIK).

carnuke
  • 2007/4/19 16:17

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Quote:

Catzwolf wrote:
I cannot believe what I am reading here. The sad fact is that after this weekend no one is addressing the real issues and problems that are here at Xoops.

You are just all trying to paint over the cracks and hope they go away and until someone has the strenght to do something about it, you are going to keep losing more and more developers and good people here at xoops.

ATB

Catz

Catz, you may have noticed that there have been numerous creative ideas posted on these forums as an attempt to make positive changes here. Many of those ideas get quashed, diverted or over-heated. This is a vibrant energetic community where many lively individuals have opinions. Hey, there is life here!

The idea of a 'members only forum' is that these discussions should continue NOT like a public boxing match, but in an honest fashion where answers and solutions can be found.

We are trying to address the real issues, but to be honest, they should not be addressed in a public forum like a brawl in the street.

It's not about having strength to do something, either. Right now it's actually about creating good leadership and management structure so that proper decisions can be made. Again, I don't believe this should be a public issue for all to see.
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

eric235u
  • 2007/4/19 16:19

• eric235u

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/12/19

Quote:
I am no longer a "privileged" user, but there is information in my head, shared by Skalpa himself, that is only known to a small number of people.

this is from the original post that started this thread.

Quote:
There are several private forums for administrators and moderators on xoops.org, just not for all registered users (AFAIK).

this is from the last post on this thread.

we are going in the exact opposite direction needed for a FREE software community to succeed. limiting information for certain groups is not the free software way. free software = free speech. if those of you who are trying to make money want a site that 'sells' XOOPS we can have a xoops.com. but i am not intersted in selling xoops. i am interested in building an environment most conducive to producing top quality free software.

the reason people are talking about limiting information is because they don't like what they see. i want to see security alerts in big read letters on the front page! and then i want to see the patch right under it. i want to be able to go to our sourceforge site and go over the core developers discussion of the situation. that gives free software it's strength. that gives it's community confidence. hiding and limiting information does the exact opposite.

gtop00
  • 2007/4/19 16:23

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/13

Well, then what about a "premium members only" forum where experienced and old members can discuss various organization issues?
Normal public forum should remain as is in order to facilitate the automatic registration to anybody need help and support.

Login

Who's Online

211 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 211

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits