danand725
Re: Criticism of my Xoops site by a web designer
  • 2007/4/18 21:34

• danand725

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/3

Quote:

AndyM wrote:
Aimlessly repeating a phrase such as "Essex Brass Band" over and over will actually harm your ranking, and not improve it.

... A point not lost on me. The worrying thing is, this has been his only suggestion. I countered with issues like, "time and meat" (an earlier post) - something at XOOPS is excellent at. He started on more advanced topics, like using HTML rather than PHP. I stopped talking to him after that.

BlueStocking

That one is easy when you are already first!!!

Essex Brass Bands
We will handle that right now...

If the "Essex Brass Bands" band wants to play to a bigger audience, XOOPS is the better choice, without a question.

http://www.eppingforestband.co.uk/modules/history/
That was a most interesting page.
Please keep us abreast of what happens with this band.

Good luck
BlueStocking

shamelessly promoting
"Essex Brass Bands" as number one
currently located athttp://eppingforestband.co.uk using XOOPS format.
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

Bassman
  • 2007/4/18 22:16

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

I'll just reiterate what has been said already: A change of theme, a bit of a reorganisation of your page layout and you'll be sweet. Nothing wrong with the theme you have, but when you've seen a lot of sites with variations of that theme, it does get a bit tired. That could be another way of persuading your committe, if you need to - ask the other guy to completely change the "look" of the site, and change it back again in a few minutes. Bet he can't do it. (of course, you would have another theme prepared to show them how easy it is with Xoops)

Also, you said he mentioned using HTML instead of PHP. That site he did has all file extensions of .php?

wizanda
  • 2007/4/18 22:24

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Why not stop fighting him?
Xoops themes are html, CSS etc...he is claiming to be an expert in those....so let him make some themes, then he is happy and learns the best way to make a site

Bassman
  • 2007/4/18 22:33

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

very good point, wizanda :)

Quest
  • 2007/4/18 22:38

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

You are very welcome and your thread is a great one with lots of input from experienced web designers and developers from around the world, not just a next door neighbor.

Fear itself is the only thing you really need to fear.

One of the really neat things I have always liked about XOOPS is that it was developed to allow the webmaster/designer to be in control but yet at the same time it allows for site users and members to contribute and the only limit to that is the imagination. Polls are good for getting user feedback and there are so many ways that a member can be given the feel of ownership and belonging.

The only thing I take note of is maybe a bit more in the visual marketing arena would help, like adding a bit more lively/jazzy :} colors to the theme and layout. In real estate they call it Curb Appeal. :)

Quest

tmreg
  • 2007/4/18 23:45

• tmreg

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/7/20

danand725,
If you would like some help with a custom theme, just let me know. I would be happy to help.
-Matt

danand725
  • 2007/4/19 11:50

• danand725

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/3

Quote:

tmreg wrote:
If you would like some help with a custom theme, just let me know. I would be happy to help.

Many thanks, I may take you up on that. I have a meeting on Wednesday evening - 25th April - to discuss changes to the site. I'm going to hold off any major changes until then. I've never been happy with the log-in / register block, it's not right.

UPDATE: The professional web designer has decided not to continue playing for the band. I seem to recall svaha had something to say on that matter:

Quote:

svaha wrote:
In Holland we have a saying on 'seagull managers', they come in, loud yelling, sh*t on everything and everybody, and then, when everything is broke, they leave.

Quest
  • 2007/4/19 12:02

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

Well there ya go then, all works out again and it sounds like a good time for a song.

Xoopity do dah, xoopity aye,
My oh my what a xoopity day!

Quest

agf8623
  • 2007/4/26 1:47

• agf8623

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/15

I think it was a very smart move on your part not to let that guy take over the design. CMS systems like XOOPS are the wave of the future and I think it's funny when designers/developers dismiss them.

The site that the guy made for you could easily have been imported as a XOOPS theme. You can get very creative with themes if you want to. There is no need to keep the standard layout.

Kudos to you for not allowing him to take over your project. Your gut instinct was right to question him.

If you do decide to do a site redesign, this is my advice:
1. Have an artist create the layout for you and send it to you as an image.
2. Find a XOOPS person who knows how to make themes and give the person the picture of the layout. A good theamer will be able to "cut" the picture up and use it to create your theme.

:)

Login

Who's Online

164 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 164

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits