LauraAmerica
Mobile XOOPS

Hi.

I'm looking for a module that somehow would let me have a mobile version of my XOOPS site so my users could access it wirelessly from their phones or PDAs.

Nuke has its "AvantGo" module since years and it does the job but I like XOOPS much more than Nuke and even when I've waited for this for years I still can't find anything that lets me do that simple thing.

I hope some one comes up with a solution

Thanks & regards!

jmorris2
Re: Mobile XOOPS
  • 2007/4/18 17:52

• jmorris2

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/4/17

Do you mean like thishttps://xoops.org/pda.php
The lights are on... nobody's home

LauraAmerica

Yeap, something like that.

But I'd also need a log-in form in order for my users to get access to some particular information.

If it is there then it must exist (somewhere). I'll look for it.

Thanks!

LauraAmerica

Ok I found something here:

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=37661&forum=4&post_id=165814#forumpost165814

I'll try it out later ;)

chippyash
  • 2007/4/19 6:00

• chippyash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/1/29

Hey, I didn't know we had a PDA page. I took a look at the source code and it appears to do something very straight forward like grab some info from the news module.

What is actually required (I think) is a 2 things:

1 - A theme set that is suitable for PDAs
2 - A mechanism within XOOPS initialisation that recognises the browser type and uses the PDA theme if appropriate

That way you can present the same info but in different formats, have your logon capability etc.

A refinement for this would be for modules to recognise that they are running in a PDA browser somehow and limit their output accordingly but I think the XOOPS core would need some modifications to provide the 'PDA Aware' capability that all mod devs could use to make this realistic.

A

skenow
  • 2007/4/19 12:38

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

<link rel="stylesheet" href="css/mainstylesheet.css" media="handheld" />

LauraAmerica

I think we can (by now) override the "PDA iD" for a little by using something as simple and lazy as a subdomain redirection. But obviously would be nice to have such feature and be able to give away the same URL to any one without worries of the browsing methods/devices.

But I'm still thinking about adapting a theme to have it plain and simple enough to work with a PDA browser. And probably it would be easier to get that theme (build it) and code a module that switched to that theme in case we accessed by an specific URL or from an specific browser (PDA iD).

MadFish
  • 2007/4/20 0:13

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

I'd love to have a simple PDA theme available.

Not just for PDAs, but also for fast low-bandwidth browsing. Here in Thailand, internet speeds are going *down*. Bandwidth is a real problem.

irmtfan
  • 2007/4/20 1:30

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

"a simple PDA theme" My vote+

chippyash
  • 2007/4/20 5:58

• chippyash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/1/29

Quote:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="css/mainstylesheet.css" media="handheld" />

That means hardcoding into the theme.html file. Actually what is in there is

Quote:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="<{$xoops_themecss}>" />

The XOOPS theme mechanism picks up what theme is applicable from the database which is then displayed, dragging in all the style sheets it requires. The problem is that the theme.html defines the basic layout of the page. For PDA display, multi columns generally don't work so you need a different theme.html file for them. Therefore (unless someone can write something really clever using style sheets), just applying a different style sheet is unlikely to work, (my understanding is that style sheets deal primarily with page *decoration* not layout.)

Login

Who's Online

182 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 182

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits