JMorris
Re: My host is toast
  • 2007/3/7 13:24

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

I use to have a hosting package with Hosting Zoom. I strongly recommend against hosting with them for 2 reasons.

1. My personal information like my address and Social Security Number got leaked on the 'Net because of a lack of simple security measures on their part.

2. Their support is better than some, but not nearly as good as Futurehosting.biz.

RE: VPS packages for XOOPS...

I'm using the cPanel - Elite package, which is equivalent to a low-end dedicated server. I'm planning on running 25 sites on that package, most of them XOOPS powered. The highest traffic site is MyWebResource, which has seen up to 500,000 page views per month. Normally, I would not recommend such a load on a VPS, but this is a short-term measure for me until my other sites start reaching the same level as MWR.

Generally speaking, a VPS is good for several smaller sites that won't see that level of traffic or one big site that can exceed that level of traffic. However, when your site starts reaching 1/2 the traffic xoops.org gets, you'll crush a VPS.

All that being conditional on whether you are using a CMS or static code. CMSs have a much heavier load on a server than traditional static websites.

With all that said, the level of VPS you need is directly related to how much traffic you are getting now, how much traffic you are planning to have in the future, and how much static code you plan to use vs. dynamic content. My example from above should give you a good starting point to scale up or down from.

HTH.

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

MadFish
  • 2007/3/28 2:23

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Just ordered a Platinum managed VPS plan from futurehosting.biz 10 minutes ago. Will post my experiences with it in a couple of weeks after everything has been moved across and consolidated there :)

jimcpweb
  • 2007/4/17 3:14

• jimcpweb

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/3/12

hi,
If u r really looking for a reliable and affordable host then check cpwebhosting services. they provide cheap, reliable and 24/7 support web Hosting services.

they have a strong technical support team to solve all problems.u can check our services at any time,their u found live support for any problem.

for more info. click on www.cpwebhosting.net

and if u have any problem then contact at jimcpweb@cpwebhosting.net

Regards
Cheap Web Hosting
http://www.cpwebhosting.com

MadFish
  • 2007/4/17 3:40

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Just a bit of feedback on my VPS at Futurehosting.biz - so far (2 weeks) it has been fantastic.

My work site is running faster than it ever has before, and its availability is vastly improved (the data center seems particularly well connected). It loads well even over a horribly slow GPRS connection. I think having its own dedicated resources makes all the difference.

There's a bit of a learning curve in managing the server, but so far the help desk has been very supportive and fast to respond. The server backup facility is a nice safety net for people like me that learn by breaking things.

It is well worth the extra expense IMHO and there is no way I will ever go back to shared hosting. Thanks James for steering me in this direction (saved me a lot of grief at work).

JMorris
  • 2007/4/17 3:52

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

@MadFish,

I'm glad you are happy with www.futurehosting.biz. I know they have been excellent for me as well.

These days, it is hard to find a good host who understands that customer support is #1. When I found www.futurehosting.biz, I couldn't believe that a host could provide such great support for such an affordable price! But there they are, giving a lot of great service for a little amount of money.

Notice, I'm not using an affiliate link! These people are so good that I don't care about BS like affiliate commission. They have been very good to me, so the least I can do is return the favor and promote them!
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

hippypink
  • 2011/12/15 23:44

• hippypink

• Just popping in

• Since: 2011/12/15

I went looking for a new host today that has a decent understanding of Xoops, but that appears to be few and far between. Some of the bigger ones aren't bad, but their tech guys seem to be uninformed on some of the nuances. I did find this useful list of specialized Xoops hosts. http://www.cheapwebhosting.net/xoops

wingrider101

Link is dead.

kevinpetit
  • 2016/6/27 7:46

• kevinpetit

• Just popping in

• Since: 2016/6/27

Please don't necro threads that are originally 9 years old with a last post from 2011.
Make a new thread, makes it easier for people to find the information.

Login

Who's Online

239 user(s) are online (168 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 239

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits