javadiva
Xoops and Yahoo Web Hosting
  • 2006/2/14 17:07

• javadiva

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/2/2 9

I've search the forum and cannot find a definative answer. Will XOOPS work with yahoo web hosting and if it does how do you install it to work?

I did a search and I have not found the answer to this question. I would very much like to build a website with my current yahoo plus package, but if this is not possible I would like to know before I waste a lot of time and effort.

Can someone point me to a support forum tha deals with this topic and if there is not one, could an XOOPS expert start one?

bluenova
Re: Xoops and Yahoo Web Hosting

There has been much communication about Yahoo on the forums here, and I think the simple answer is no it's not going to work, due to Yahoo not using a normal UNIX file path.

Feneex
  • 2006/2/14 17:57

• Feneex

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/25

my suggestion would be to avoid any branded names, and get hosting from a smaller but respectable hosting company with Plesk, Ensim, Cpanel, Hsphere, Helm control panel.

they value more their customers and youl get more personalized service.

javadiva
  • 2006/2/14 18:17

• javadiva

• Just popping in

Okay. This is what I did. I uploaded the XOOPS into a directory called XOOPS. I follow the path name to the admin.php and was able to get the installation menu. I walked through everything set up MySQL data base and XOOPS installed fine. When I went to the path admin.php to customize, I received two error messages. One to delete the installation directory and the other to change the permission of my mainfile.php. Both were easily done.

Currently I am making my modifications and I am about to install a new theme. I already have a website in my root directory. Once everything I am going to remove my old website from my root directory and change the path of my mainfile.php to my current domain path.

I don't know if anyone has gotten this far, but so far everything has worked perfectly. I'll know more when I start trying to upload and install some more modules.

zeroram
  • 2006/2/14 21:10

• zeroram

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/6/30

Even if you do are able to installed.. you will get wierd problems with hosting company that does not use the XOOPS minimium requieremnts.

for example i installed a XOOPS for a client on a dot5 web hosting company and seem they use FreeBSD as a server.. installation went ok, but when i go to install modules.. some modules wont work or even will not show in admin section.

plus many more problems Apache for example does not give you.

alitan
  • 2006/2/14 21:34

• alitan

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/3/14

I got the same problem here.
I cannot define a true physical path. Now I can install XOOPS on a subfolder, but not on the root path.
Has anybody got any idea about how to make this thing work? My idea is that I copy and pase the index.php file in the root folder and change the file addressing in to to the subfolder I have my XOOPS in. But that gives an error that a script outside Xoops_Root_PAth is been created. Now what I can probably do is that I may be able to change the If statement to accept my path as a XOOPS root path (by adding an "and" statement .
Has anybody got any ideas on this? feel free to inform me !
My Persian Xoops Project:
http://www.MPXP.org

javadiva
  • 2006/2/15 18:02

• javadiva

• Just popping in

Well, after I installed the modules I saw what the other poster was referring to. The modules installed just fine, but they are not appearing on my homepage. I assume it has something to do with the path.

However, in answer to your question, if you can get everything to work for you in the subfolder you can change the path of the mainfile.php to your domain and just keep adding your changes in the subfolder. I did this, not with yahoo, but another host. I don't know if will work with yahoo because it's freaky, but it worked with the other host.

jjhavokk
  • 2007/4/10 1:26

• jjhavokk

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/4/10

I know this topic is a bit dated. i just wanted to chime in with my 2 cents. I have used yahoo web-hosting, and really, its pretty poor. It is possible to set up XOOPS, although they do not make it easy. The best way to set it up is to install XOOPS to a sub-directory and redirect.

Yahoo is really for those who don't know too much and want to have a few static pages and an easily navigable GUI. Don't bother looking for any advanced features from them, you won't find them.

Login

Who's Online

165 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 165

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits