mjz55
I want to run sort of a dual web site, is it possible?
  • 2007/4/2 1:57

• mjz55

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2007/1/18

I'm running XOOPS 2.0.16. I want to have two seperate towns to advertise with ads, stories, and pictures (lots). How could if possible could I set up XOOPS to have say, town "a" with ads, pictures, classifieds, stories, etc. and have town "b" on the same url but somehow seperately? I have no problem figuring out with a static html web site, but that is amature.

JMorris
Re: I want to run sort of a dual web site, is it possible?
  • 2007/4/2 3:01

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

The question is, how different do you want the "towns" to look.

Looking over your post, it isn't really clear how much segregation you want between the two "towns". If you're wanting a completely separate look (theme) and adverts for each town, just run 2 installs of XOOPS. If you're wanting to share information between the sites, then it gets complicated.

If you want to share information between the 2 "towns", there are 2 "stable" ways to do this that I know of.

1. Use MySQL 5 and share the tables you want to share between 2 installations of XOOPS

2. Install modules that have categories ("towns") and separate the content of each town into the the categories ("towns").

Quite honestly, it would help if you provided a little more detail about what you are trying to accomplish.

HTH.

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

mjz55
  • 2007/4/2 10:12

• mjz55

• Quite a regular

Sorry JMorris, I guess I don't know how to explain it correctly. I'm not 100% used to modules and Xoops.

If I was setting up a straight html site, I possibly would have a page that would open when you type in the url and from there you could select either of my two towns.

Humm, maybe two seperate XOOPS would work. How would I use the same url?

mjz55
  • 2007/4/2 12:46

• mjz55

• Quite a regular

Would I just set up a simple html index page with the links to either Xoops?

goatboy
  • 2007/4/2 15:49

• goatboy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/25

I run multiple individual web sites (with separate XOOPS installs) on my server. I think the easy way would be to create a static HTML page at your base URL that contains links to town A and town B. Then just create 2 folders under the root for each town...ie. yourURL/town A and yourURL/town B. You could then do separate installs of XOOPS into each folder. Both sites would be completely separate, but each one accessible from your URL.

That is a pretty simplistic way of accomplishing what you asked. Another alternative would be to do a single install of XOOPS at your URL, and then have any common content between sites available off the root, and then use duplicatable modules such as MyAlbumP to have individual content for each town.

GB

carnuke
  • 2007/4/2 18:29

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Maybe this is too simplistic, but I would SIMPLY use a module like smartsection and clone it (make 2 identical versions)

town -1 (version one of the module) put all the content, details etc in your pages and make your custom block ads to be 'visible in this module. Show this as #town-1 in your menu

town-2 (version two of the module) repeat as above with town two details ans make custom ads blocks to show 'visible in this module.

You have one site with discreet details of 2 towns each with separate content and focussed ads.

No messing with dual sites. If your inclined you can even change the theme automatically by choosing the menu for town-2 or town -1

Maybe this is the best advise: learn more about XOOPS modules and permission systems... you will be amazed how flexible and extendable they are.

Smartsections
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

mjz55
  • 2007/4/3 1:51

• mjz55

• Quite a regular

Thanks carnuke for that idea too. I think I know less than you guys aready forgot. How can I learn more? Should I purchase that XOOPS book? It's a little harder at my age because it seems easier to learn by doing (and screwing up), than reading a book; but it may help. I also know nothing about php. I was trying to do something different with a module and did a change in php and crashed the module. So, I posted a question in module usage without an answer as of yet. I guess the bottom line is, how can and where can I learn more?

MadFish
  • 2007/4/3 4:56

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

You can get free documentation. If you want to buy the book (which is ok), there is a cheaper PDF version, if you can make do with an electronic copy.

jfmoore
  • 2007/10/29 15:34

• jfmoore

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/6/6 5

@mjz55

How are you coming with your town site(s)? What did you decide?

Jere

Login

Who's Online

157 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 157

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits