technobia
XPress Email Post Function Needed
  • 2007/2/27 21:51

• technobia

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/4/17

Xoops 2.014 / WP for XOOPS (Xpress) 2.04
PHP 5.1.6 / IIS 6.0 /MySQL 4.1

First let me say I am NOT a programmer. However I can do some minor code modifications if I have clear instructions. With that said….

I need to add the same kind of email article option that is like what is on the News module for all the permanent link posts in Xpress: URL Example: ( ../modules/wordpress/?=### ). I am assuming that this URL is generated from the wordpress/templates/wordpress/single.php file.

We did try the email plug-in for WP but it is not working and I have no idea how to troubleshoot it. The person who installed it for me suggested that it was perhaps because the plug-in was for a standalone version for WP, and not specifically for “XPress”..

I would appreciate some help on this. I think this would be a great addition to Xpress and would help my users exchange information and in turn boost traffic.

This is my very first XOOPS site and I have learned a lot since this installation. I have a number of things that need fixing that we are currently working on. Please keep in mind that when and if we upgrade the XOOPS core and modules that I would hope this function would not break.
Thanks, Technobia
www.PrideDEPOT.com
Everybody Has A Right!

Stewdio
Re: XPress Email Post Function Needed
  • 2007/2/27 21:57

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

The email to blog feature should work fine OOTB with the addition of filling out the options on the modules/wordpress/wp-admin/options-writing.php page

All you have to make sure is that you have an email address set up for it. Any email that account recieves will be treated as a post by email.

You can not do this for all users, you can only do this for the main admin account with this version. AFIK.

I'm working on an XPress installation for a site I"m working on. If I run into troubles I'll let you know.

I've already found a couple bugs. I need a link to properly submit them to phppp.

Cheers
XOOPS Community Support

technobia
Re: XPress Email A Post Function Needed
  • 2007/2/27 22:09

• technobia

• Not too shy to talk

I think my post title is a bit misleading. I do not want to post to the blog using email.

I want users to be able email a specific post out from the blog to a friend from the site, much like you can in the News Module.
Thanks, Technobia
www.PrideDEPOT.com
Everybody Has A Right!

Stewdio
  • 2007/2/27 22:14

• Stewdio

Ooooooh, I get it, sort like an email to friend thing.

Got ya. Go tohttp://codex.wordpress.org and grab a plug-in, I'm sure it will work.

Dump the plug=in in the wp-plugins folder, log in as admin, and activate the plug-in.
XOOPS Community Support

technobia
  • 2007/2/27 22:21

• technobia

• Not too shy to talk

We already tried that plug-in and it does not work.
Thanks, Technobia
www.PrideDEPOT.com
Everybody Has A Right!

Stewdio
  • 2007/2/27 22:32

• Stewdio

Hmm, don't know what to say.

One thing to look out for when adding plug-ins, is make sure they are compatible with WP 2.04 and above. XPress comes bundled with an older release.

The current WP release (at the time of this posting) is 2.1

Other then that, in terms of your original post, I don't think there is much that can be done.

I can't see phppp writing a new feature for XPress that isn't native to Wordpress, with the odd exception to functionality within XOOPS itself, like the selectable Single user/multi user option, which is really a configuration automation from within Wordpress itself.
XOOPS Community Support

technobia
  • 2007/2/27 22:35

• technobia

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks - because it is XPress, we were not sure if it was compatible. The version of XPress is 2.04 but we do not know if that is the core version of the WordPress that was used to make XPress or not. Would you know?

What about adapting the code in the News module to work in XPress? Any ideas on that one?
Thanks, Technobia
www.PrideDEPOT.com
Everybody Has A Right!

Stewdio
  • 2007/2/27 22:46

• Stewdio

Yes, the files used are core files from the 2.0.4 version for WPMu, and 2.0.5 version of WP.

No, because XPress is using the same table structure as WP. Esentially, it's wrapped within XOOPS with as little cod change as possible.

Go here for an email to friend plug-in that might work.

Choose the 2.0.x version for oyour version of XPress.

http://www.lesterchan.net/wordpress/readme/wp-email.html
XOOPS Community Support

technobia
  • 2007/2/27 22:51

• technobia

• Not too shy to talk

Isn't that the same plug-in you pointed me to earlier that I already tried? Or is this one modified for XPress
Thanks, Technobia
www.PrideDEPOT.com
Everybody Has A Right!

Stewdio
  • 2007/2/27 22:59

• Stewdio

I didn't point you to a plug-in earlier, I pointed you to the repository of every plug-in made (well, thats an exageration, but still)

The codex is a repository, you have to look through. The idea was that you would find other useful stuff there as well.

The second link is a link to an actual plug-in since there was no way you could have responded that fast and determined it didn't work

No plug-ins should have to be modified for XPress. XPress is nothing but a shell, the meat is Wordpress. If it works in Wordpress, it works in XPress, period.

I know it seems foregn to you, but treat wordpress as it's own script, literaly. Your blog can be removed from the XOOPS files and moved to an entire new domain and it will still work, well, almost.

The point it that it is a fully working version of Wordpress, not a hack to make it work in xoops.

In fact, I couldn't be more impressed with it's simplicity as a module.
XOOPS Community Support

Login

Who's Online

223 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 223

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits