AndyM
New Reviews module (AM Reviews) preview
  • 2006/4/26 23:39

• AndyM

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/8/31

Hi all,

Not quite a review, but I thought I'd post this here as it seems the most appropriate forum.

Anyhoo, I have been working on my Review module, AM Reviews, over the last couple of weeks or so, after starting over from scratch. I have uploaded and installed a preview of it on my site, and would appreciate comments on it.

It is a preview only and is not yet available for download, so there are areas that are not yet implemented, like the user reviews, printable version and e-mail to friend pages, etc.

However, it does so far support; Sub categories, image upload, editable publish date, date to start publish and end publish, category view group permissions and more that I can't think of right now. Oh, yeah, I've also been trying to make it easy to clone.

So, I'd appreciate it you could look and let me know what you think - obviously, things like user submittable reviews, various blocks, and so on will be added in due course.

One thing I am unsure about how to do just yet is whether to use XOOPS's built in commments system or not. Using it will save me coding, but I'd have to have the ratings separate. The other option is to do something similar to Amazon's user review setup.

The preview can be seen here.

rabideau
Re: New Reviews module (AM Reviews) preview
  • 2006/4/27 0:09

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

Hi Andy,

Nice idea. It would really be handy were you to blend your module with the old xooperstore module. Then your reviews might sell some books and generate revenue for your site, too!

Just a thought.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

gestroud
  • 2006/4/27 0:13

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

Looks good so far, Andy. How about links for "Visit Web" Site and/or "Buy Now?"

AndyM
  • 2006/4/27 14:50

• AndyM

• Quite a regular

Quote:

gestroud wrote:
Looks good so far, Andy. How about links for "Visit Web" Site and/or "Buy Now?"

Quote:

rabideau wrote:
Nice idea. It would really be handy were you to blend your module with the old xooperstore module. Then your reviews might sell some books and generate revenue for your site, too!

Well, I had been planning to do an affiliate/Amazon type module anyway, but I guess this could also be used for that. I have installed xooperstore and will take a look at it.

I'll probably add "sponsor" links to it as well. But, someone could add custom HTML and such links in the "Item Details" area.

AndyM
  • 2006/4/29 18:32

• AndyM

• Quite a regular

*bump*

Anyone else have any comments?

stefan88
  • 2006/4/29 20:50

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Is there any alpha (pre-alpha) available for download?

TopKnot
  • 2006/4/29 22:45

• TopKnot

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/27

This module looks great. Not sure how I'd use it on my sites BUT...my mind is buzzing with seeds of ideas. Cannot wait till a full version is ready.

Any possibility of making it RSSFit Plug-in compatible?

Keep up the great work!

AndyM
  • 2006/4/30 15:50

• AndyM

• Quite a regular

Quote:

stefan88 wrote:
Is there any alpha (pre-alpha) available for download?

Not yet, but I may make something available in the week.

Quote:

TopKnot wrote:
This module looks great. Not sure how I'd use it on my sites BUT...my mind is buzzing with seeds of ideas. Cannot wait till a full version is ready.

Any possibility of making it RSSFit Plug-in compatible?

RSS is a feature that will be in it - I hadn't heard of RSSFit before, but I shall check it out.

Quote:
Keep up the great work!

Thanks

tgotch
  • 2007/2/25 19:10

• tgotch

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/31

Hi,
This looks like a great module. I have been looking for something like this. One issue. I have been testing this on one of my sites. I am having problems with permissions.

I set up 4 categories of reviews. I allowed anonymous user access permissions to each category. But two of the four, I get a "you do not have permission to view this category." I get this error only when trying to access the categories anonymous. When logged in, obviously, I can access all categories.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Regards,
Tim

AndyM
  • 2007/2/25 21:02

• AndyM

• Quite a regular

As for the permissions problem, I don't really know what could be causing it yet. I've not had any other reports of it, etc.

What version of XOOPS are you using, and do you get error messages with PHP debugging turned on?

Login

Who's Online

170 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 170

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits