ahroland
Extending news submission titles, comment subjects, et al
  • 2006/11/5 17:52

• ahroland

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/11/5

I am using the XLanguage module in a website with 3 languages.

Character limits keep tripping me up... and in a *very* bad way.

The smaller problem is when due the limit makes it impossible to have there be a title in each language.

The bigger problem is when the titles fit, but subsequent comments cut one of the [en] "tags" in half, and **break the entire resulting comment page**.

How do I increase the size of the:

1) News Titles
2) Comment Subjects
3) any other fields that give similar problems

Thanks in advance!

hervet
Re: Extending news submission titles, comment subjects, et al
  • 2006/11/22 12:55

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

For the News module, modify the xoops_story structure via, for example, phpmyadmin and modify the file called /xoops/modules/news/include/storyform.php

msxgamesbox

Hello,
I am having the same problem, when posting a comment to an article published through the News module, the comment title is cut of at 60 characters.

I have been trying to figure out how to increase the length to a higher number of characters but can find the correct parameters neither in xoops_stories (phpMyAdmin), not in storyform.php

This is critical for the integration of Xlanguage in my site as the cut comment title has two negative effects:
1) No language specific texts can be displayed in the comments titles
2) and very badly, when commenting with a subject that has been cut, my homepage containing the news block (with spotlight) becomes unacessible!

Please help me! I desperately need to fix this problem. The rest of Xlanguage is fantastic!

msxgamesbox

I'm replying to myself to the first part of the problem to share with everyone... but if somebody can help on the second part I would very much appreciate:

On increasing title length in comment_form
On line 53 of /include/comment_new.php, the function takes the first only 56 characters of the title. To fix the problem of truncated titles in comment forms, just increase that value to an higher value.

Not solved:
With Xlanguage 3.01 and News 1.50 the full title message is displayed in multiple languages with all language tags in the Post Comments Title text field.
Can this be solved so it only displays the chosen language title without the tags?

Not solved 2:
If the first question cannot be solved, is there a way to block a user from being able to edit the Post Comments Title text field?
I have been trying to edit include/comment_form.php

to modify
$cform->addElement(new XoopsFormText(_CM_TITLE, 'com_title', 50, 255, $com_title), true);
into
$cform->addElement(new XoopsFormLabel(_CM_TITLE, $com_title), true);

Result:
The non editable title appears in the form, but as soon as you post your comment, the title is no longer appearing!

I've also tried through XoopsFormHidden, without result.

If somebody could help me, detailing the actions to take to solve this problem, I would very much appreciate.
I am surprised that nobody posted about this before as I think one of the great assets of XOOPS is the ability to post comments... and it would be sad not having this feature working properly when using XLanguage.

msxgamesbox

Nobody can help me?

msxgamesbox

Really nabody can help me?

davidl2
  • 2007/1/24 11:45

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

I would suggest you ask this at:http://www.instant-zero.com - who produce the News module.

Login

Who's Online

147 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 147

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits