darkkael
Internet Explorer versus Firefox using Xoops
  • 2006/12/18 21:21

• darkkael

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/8 1

Hello,

I'm trying to get my website to look the same to a viewer approaching using Firefox and Internet explorer.

I have version 2.0.16 installed on my server and the site is running well. i've had a theme created by a third party which seems subject to the same problems as other themes whereby IE7 enlarges all the fonts. Can someone tell me how i prevent IE7 from doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Simon

irmtfan
Re: Internet Explorer versus Firefox using Xoops
  • 2006/12/18 21:39

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

first: i delete your other topic. please do not persist on "submit" button.

second: by searching forums for "IE7" and "FONT" you can find some related topics for your problem.

darkkael
  • 2006/12/18 22:10

• darkkael

• Just popping in

well "IE7" is ignored by the search engine because it is 3 letters long but i'm sure you know this and i only get 5 results two of which are part of this thread and the show more results button doesn't show anymore results.

i did manage to type "internet explorer font too large" in the search engine before i posted my question and as a result of the search efficiency i chose to ask a question.

thanks for your terse totally unhelpful reply i feel all warm and fuzzy.

Simon

McDonald
  • 2006/12/18 22:20

• McDonald

• Home away from home

• Since: 2005/8/15

Maybe it's a stupid thought of me, but did you check the following in IE7?

In the menu: View -> Text Size (set to Medium or Smaller)

darkkael
  • 2006/12/19 2:11

• darkkael

• Just popping in

yes i understand that this is certainly an option for the single viewer, but my main problem is that the default look that appears in firefox is a font size that looks like 10pt and the default in IE7 is more like 16pt which leads to the look and feel being completely different. i don't want to mask the problem by fixing my machine i want the web site to broadcast the page so it doesn't matter what you view it with.

i was kind of hoping XOOPS was by now producing a standardized format i think its called w3c or something.

any more ideas appreciated.

Simon

Bassman
  • 2006/12/19 4:23

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

Being W3C compliant won't make the fonts a regulation size. That is something you will have to take up with the "third party" who made your theme. Font size can be set in a number of different ways: seehttp://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=FontSize
It's up to the theme designer to specify the font size. It's not an issue with XOOPS per se.
Also IE7 seems to interpret CSS differently to IE6. So it's probably not the theme designer's fault either. Blame Microsoft!

*edit* You should also check out your site in Mozilla. Something appears to be broken with the left column.

darkkael
  • 2006/12/19 14:30

• darkkael

• Just popping in

I've got an email into the font creator hopefully they have the answer. Perhaps flash is the better way to go in the future for web sites if thats the only way to guarantee what the visitor sees. I bet there isn't a CMS for a flash based site though.

thanks for the info.

Simon

rpilney
  • 2007/1/4 17:37

• rpilney

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/25

Before I get flamed or anything I want to preface my post by saying I am learning XOOPS fast as I can and doing my best to follow protocol in posting.

on the topic of IE7 and firefox. Well I found some ways to work around firefox not showing my forums correctly but IE7 just really messes with my site. People can view quite a bit but not reply to any posts.

Here is a common post by our members of our site:

I just bought a new PC - with XP media Center OS - when I upgraded to IE 7 -- I could log into the site just fine - read posts just fine - see most of everything - BUT....

Couldn't Post
Couldn't Start a New Topic
Couldn't edit my Profile
Couldn't do much of anything but look......

So my question is how to work around this? RE:

Couldn't Post
Couldn't Start a New Topic
Couldn't edit my Profile
Couldn't do much of anything but look......

one thing that helped for firefox viewing on my site was:

Get in the Firefox menu -> preferences -> web features and uncheck the option "for the originating web site only".

Thanks
Roger
Rpilney@austin.rr.com

BDW
  • 2007/1/10 12:21

• BDW

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/28

Try getting your theme designer to use a standard font (if it isnt using one). Within the CSS file it should have something similar to the one below:

table td {padding0border-width0vertical-aligntopfont-familyVerdanaArialHelveticasans-serif;}

Also, try getting him/her to apply the text resizing in all browsers by using PX in the body tag (within the css file) and % when setting the size in the other areas(Also within the css file).

I've written an article on my site to do with text resizing.

Login

Who's Online

117 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 117

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits