teejayuu
Can't see news
  • 2007/1/2 19:36

• teejayuu

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/11/14

Hi
I am new to XOOPS although I do have some experience of WordPress, so please excuse what may appear trivial. I also have tried reading the documentation but the link does not appear to be working.

I have just downloaded XOOPS and the News module as I am wanting to try and create a extended blog. I have got the list of topics sorted and started putting a few news items in. My problem is that when logged out I can only see 'Home' under the 'Main Menu' and when I click it nothing appears in the central area. If I log in there is 'Home' and 'News' under 'Main Menu'. I would like to see the News module when I am logged out, is there any way that I can do this? Also what goes under 'Home' as it doesn't seem to have a purpose.

Thanks
TeeJay

Tomorrows just something to do

Mercury
Re: Can't see news
  • 2007/1/2 19:39

• Mercury

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/29

Have you thought about using the Wordpress for XOOPS module. I recently set it up and its working well.

Good Luck!

teejayuu
  • 2007/1/2 19:44

• teejayuu

• Just popping in

I have thought about it, but I would like to get to grips with the terminology and structure of XOOPs as well, so I thought I would try without. Thanks for the advice I will keep it in mind for future.

BTW does the WordPress for XOOPS import a current Blog or does it modify WP tables?

Mercury
  • 2007/1/2 19:49

• Mercury

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/29

Afraid I don't know it well enough to answer that question. Hopefully, someone else will be able to answer that.

Good Luck!

jensclas

Looking into the documentation - sorry about that.

Now here is what you need to do to get the hng of xoops.

1. go to site preferences and set news and the module for your start page -= that solves the home problem.
2. to get material on the front page how you want it go to site admin - blocks - and set the blocks you want on the front page to be visible, their position and the order. o and 1 at the top bigger numbers will appear lower down.
3. To set access for registered and anonymous users go to site admin groups and tick the appropriate boxes.

Hope this helps

teejayuu
  • 2007/1/2 20:44

• teejayuu

• Just popping in

Thanks jensclas
Quote:

1. go to site preferences and set news and the module for your start page -= that solves the home problem.

Sorry do you mean 'Preferences' under 'System Admin' as I can't seem to find it
Quote:

2. to get material on the front page how you want it go to site admin - blocks - and set the blocks you want on the front page to be visible, their position and the order. o and 1 at the top bigger numbers will appear lower down.

Not a prblem with this
Quote:

3. To set access for registered and anonymous users go to site admin groups and tick the appropriate boxes.

Think I've got the hang of access

jensclas

Quote:
Sorry do you mean 'Preferences' under 'System Admin' as I can't seem to find it

hmmm...in 2.0.16 when you click on sys admin there is a table for site management and one is preferences... click that then go to general settings. Module for your start page is the 5th one down. When you are ready to go with wordpress you can set that as your start module if you wish - but get the hang of things first

wodnick
  • 2007/1/2 21:22

• wodnick

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/12/30

Hi there!

Quote:

teejayuu wrote:
I would like to see the News module when I am logged out, is there any way that I can do this? Also what goes under 'Home' as it doesn't seem to have a purpose.

All (almost) installed modules have access for anonymous users set to "deny / don't display (also in menu)" as default.

So what You have to do, is go to do admin panel and then:
System module -> Groups -> Anonymous [edit] -> set (tick) appropriate option for modules and blocks (I assume U know the basic concepts of Xoops).

This should solve Yours problems.

regards.
wodnick

ps. Setting desired content to home page (regardless for anonymous or registered user) can be made by enabling display some blocks (often special blocks for homepages with short content) only to them.
Blocks -> Choosed block(s) edit -> Show on home page.

ps. 2 Sorry for my english...
========
Pozycjonowanie

teejayuu
  • 2007/1/3 9:13

• teejayuu

• Just popping in

Thanks jensclas

Login

Who's Online

460 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 460

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits