BDW
Re: Editing of Theme.html results in white page
  • 2007/1/2 13:02

• BDW

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/28

the missing / to close the img tag shouldnt be the problem. i tested it out on one of my themes.

Heres something to test out. Using your FTP prog or Notepad.

1. add the / to close the img tag.
2. save upload and check.

Still white page?

3. delete text within Alt tag to change that to the way it was before
4. save upload and check

Still White page?

Then all I can say is I'm stumped as to why your getting a white page.

If you have followed the above steps and your website is back then try adding this code in your alt tag instead of your own text

<{$xoops_sitename}>

Your logo should really only have an alt which says the name of your site anyway for people with visual impairment as the alt tag is all they would see if they have disabled the image.

If that gives you a white page again then I dont know whats going on. Maybe you should contact the developer to see if they can solve the problem.

Let us know what happens

martyboy
  • 2007/1/2 14:26

• martyboy

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/25

Hmm, thats a strange one. From what i understand a blank page is usually caused by an error in a script causing it to terminate early, is there any php code in the theme you may be inadvertantly changing while your editing the theme.html?

I have also had blank pages before resulting from miss-edited smarty code in the theme, by the looks of it though you arent trying to edit any smarty code.

The only thing I can suggest is to try a different editor, I use dreamweaver but there are otehr alternatives out there just google for free html editor or something once youve found a good editor try editing a fresh copy of the blue shine theme.html re-upload it, clear templates_c and see what happens.

Good luck.
Michael Jackson = King Of Pop

Xoops = King Of CMS

snow77
  • 2007/1/2 20:07

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

that's very strange, I haven't experienced problems like this before, unless maybe you are using an old XOOPS version that doesn't read the new XO attributes could be one reason why it may not work.

could you please post here or at xoopsdesign.com in the free themes forum inside the code tags:

1- the full html code of the the theme.html of the theme you have active in your site

and

2- the full html code of the new theme.html with the changes you have done to it that are causing you the blank page
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

tedsmith
  • 2007/1/4 1:06

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Thanks for all the suggestions here guys. I had tried all of them already though . I've built a few XOOPS sites now and experienced (or suffered) the white page issue a few times, and knew many of the troubleshooting suggestions. This is why I was so very stumped.

However, having said all of that, I don't think it was anything to do with the theme itself because I tried with another theme and I had the same problem.

In the end, I logged into my server via ActiveX controls and edited the theme.html file physically on the server rather than uploading it. That generally seemed to work, although, bizarrly, on one or two occasions it happened again but I think that was me getting code wrong!

In addition, some hours later, I started to get problems uploading a gif. The file was there, but when viewed (even via the ActivX log in session) the file was empty. Very odd. I fixed that by logging off the server, rebooting my own laptop! Then it was fine.

Basically I think the problem is related to the FTP connection somewhere. I have a WPA encrypted wireless connection going to a router that is then encrypted with sFTP to the server. I suspect that somehwhere along the line something is getting corrupted. Brashquido and I (who share the VPS itself) may need to get our heads together when he gets back from his globe trotting adventures!

In summary, I don't think it has anything to do with the fine theme developed by Snow and his merry men. Apologies if it came across that way, but at first, that is how it seemed to me before I was aware of the other potential problem with the FTP.

Thanks again folks

Regards

Ted

Login

Who's Online

212 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 212

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits