Edwinspie
Site gone blank!
  • 2006/12/21 17:28

• Edwinspie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/8/18

Hi,

My site http://www.stlucia-southafrica.com (on whom I've been working for weeks!) has suddenly gone blank.
So I can not login anymore, can't get in to my admin anymore, in short all I get is a blank screen!

I contacted my host asking them if something was wrong on the server side.
This is the response I got:

---------------------------------------------------------

It appears that many files were uploaded in Binary format. It appears you are running XOOPS site, so when they were uploaded in binary instead of ASCII format, it caused the site to not display.

You should try and upload your .php files again in ASCII format. All non text files such as images should be uploaded in binary.

Before I try anything else, I would like to find if anyone here has got another idea about this.

I would really appreciate some help on this one because I can not imagine seeing so much time and effort going down the drain

Thanks

Edwin

kaotik
Re: Site gone blank!
  • 2006/12/21 17:39

• kaotik

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/2/19

Try erasing everything inside templates_c(except index.html) and cache(except adminmenu.php) directory using ftp. See if you can then access index.php or user.php
I tried admin.php and it's working on your site.

kaotik
  • 2006/12/21 17:41

• kaotik

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/2/19

do you have the news module installed? I tried:
http://www.stlucia-southafrica.com/web/modules/news/
and it also returns a blank page

Edwinspie
  • 2006/12/21 18:04

• Edwinspie

• Just popping in

Not working
and , yes, Ive got the news module installed.

As you say, the /admin.php resolves but, I can not login as the admin.

in the mean time I got the latest response from my host replying to my question if they are sure about the Binairi/ASCII thing:
--------------------------------------------------------

I suspect this is the issue. If there is a file you've recently uploaded, then that may be the one causing the issue. Many times when they are uploaded in binary format, the server will not process them properly. I checked the XOOPS site FAQ and found a similar answer there.

I would start by trying to re-upload something that you most recently changed and see if that helps.

I was adding articles in the smartsection module.
Is there a way to delete the last items that I've created using ftp ?
Or any other suggestions?

Edwin

jensclas

The way into the articles if you created them within smart section is through your phpmyadmin and locating the right article in the right table. If the articles were added via ftp you should be able to remove them fia ftp. My inclination - drop a link to this post in the smart factory support forum and see what they have to say. They do cruise this one, but alerting them to it might help.

The other thing to keep in mind is your host is asking you about your most recently uploaded .php files - these are not articles themeselves but files of code that run your site...(So I have my doubts an article caused this) can you think back a bit further - what was the last module you uploaded?

Finally i assume you have checked and read the FAQ on blank pages? Check the read before you post below.

Edwinspie
  • 2006/12/22 10:20

• Edwinspie

• Just popping in

Hi Jenclas,

Thanks for your reply!

I deleted the articles in smartsection (I was working on when this happened) through phpmyadmin.
No result however.

I didn't uploaded any modules (or scripts or whatsoever) because the framework of my site was finished. For the last two weeks I was just adding articles and images.

I've gone over the FAQ and did what I could do:

-The "include/common.php". error reporting is "ON" but this doesn't produce any errors

-Because Im on a shared hosting and my hoster may have turned off debugging , as far as i can see,i should create a file called ".htaccess" to override the settings locally. But I'm not sure how to do this. I will contact my host on this.

Al the details of my installation I can provide:

Xoops: 2.0.15
Operating system Linux
Kernel version 2.6.9-42.0.3.ELsmp
Apache version 1.3.36 (Unix)
PERL version 5.8.5
PHP version 5.0.4
MySQL version 4.1.21-standard
Windows XP prof
Custom template: (Yes/No)
7-Dana round theme
PHP Debug Messages:-
MySQL Debug Messages:-
Smarty Debug Messages:-
The issue: Site went completely blank while adding articles in smartsection

Thanks for any other tips

Edwin

irmtfan
  • 2006/12/22 11:09

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

you can turn on php debug even when you cant login at your XOOPS site.you must turn it on so someone can help you.

just see the faq no.80 about blank pages:
Quote:
2. If you can't get to the administration page, but have access to mysql, try the query "UPDATE xoops_config SET conf_value=1 WHERE conf_name = 'debug_mode'". Be sure to make sure "xoops_config" matches the name of the config table in your installation. (NOTE: This does not work with XOOPS 2.2, see 2a)

my main guess is a theme issue or language issue.

TopKnot
  • 2006/12/22 12:25

• TopKnot

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/27

I have no solution to your problem! But I just had the same problem you did. It was on a fresh install of XOOPS 2.0.15 -> 2.0.16 I then added the following Modules:
1. SmartBlocks
2. SmartProfile
3. MxDirectory
4. News 1.51
5. Smart Object
6. Smart Section
7. WordPress Blog
8. Smart Object

I then added 3 new Themes called:
1. Flash-Test
2. Flower
3. Scratchy

I added all of the above modules gradually through a 6 hour period, testing each one. The following modules did not work:
1. WordPress...think this was the problem module but cannot confirm. Warnings right after install with database problems is what I remember the problem was.
2. Smart Profile. Cannot remember what the problem was.

I was working on adding a bunch of Categories/Subcategories on MxDirectory when I got the "Blank Screen of Death" just as explain in this thread.

I uninstalled each module...one at a time through my Control Panel. Nothing helped at all. So Uninstalled XOOPS completely.

Just tought I'd throw my experience with my latest XOOPS install. Maybe there is a bug or maybe not.

I just did a fresh install of XOOPS 2.0.16 and have the following modules working: MxDirectory 3.0RC1 with about 50 Categories/Subcategories. I'm not having any problems with this install.

Edwinspie
  • 2006/12/22 12:35

• Edwinspie

• Just popping in

Finally got debug runnning!

This is the error if I call my home page:
Fatal error: Call to a member function getCategoryPath() on a non-object in /home/stlucadm/public_html/web/modules/smartsection/class/item.php on line 446

Looks like it has got something to do with smartsection after all .

Any Suggestions now?

Edwin

wizanda
  • 2006/12/22 12:44

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Me personally when things like that happen, depending what version of XOOPS and what it is being tried, will cross the lines out....see if it helps...yet wouldn't advise it permanently...

In PHP just add // before the line it says is wrong, as if you are on XOOPS 2.2+ and it is for 2.1+ then members functions were changed.....

Then my next question would be to ask the authors if they know...being smartfactory...

Login

Who's Online

472 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 472

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits