jaske
Embedding Xoops content into existing (static) web sites
  • 2006/12/13 13:01

• jaske

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/12/2

Greetings,

I've spent the last day or so reading the operation guide, miscellaneous faq's and numerous posts and can not find the info I'm looking for. I say this in case the answer is already available somewhere I'd appreciated just being pointed to it.

We have hundreds of independent static HTML sites that we would like to add dynamic content to. I do not want to have staff redesign each site within a content management system (nor will the customers pay for this kind of work). My hope is to setup XOOPS to be the content management system to do this using a simpler method.

I'm trying to find out if there is a way to embed tags into the static pages (understanding they may need to be changed from .htm or .html to the .php extension) so that the existing pages can pull dynamic content in specifically defined sections only (again without having to setup the whole page/site to be part of a content management system).

This way site owners can update their pages with content that is maintained in the cms database, without having to worry about editing code and even worrying about html formatting.

It seems that many many sites could benefit by utilizing dynamic content this way without having to have a complete rebuild of their sites, and this is what I'm trying to accomplish...to bring content manament to those who would not otherwise consider using it.

If anyone can provide me with info on how to do this with XOOPS (modules to use, faq or documentation on setting up), I would much appreciate experiencing the friendly "community" of users that I've been reading about all over the XOOPS site.

Thanks,

Alexi

jensclas
Re: Embedding Xoops content into existing (static) web sites

Quote:
Embedding XOOPS content into existing (static) web sites

I suspect you may need to do this the other way around. You will need XOOPS to wrap your existing static pages. try searching for 'wrap html' and you will see how XOOPS can do this. (I could be wrong but this is the way i see most people doing it).

irmtfan
  • 2006/12/13 20:40

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

as jensclas said i think a wrap module can help you.
just give it a try:

wraps 1.11 from Gijoe

Peekay
  • 2006/12/14 1:08

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

It would be no problem to set up a XOOPS site as a central point for your clients to add content. You could then add a page to each static website with an iFrame that displayed content from the remote XOOPS site. The problem would be how to only display content pertinent to that particular site.

The XOOPS permissions system allows custom groups to be set up which can restrict the display of content to members of that group, but only if they are logged in. I have no idea how (or if ) you could just pull articles belonging to 'acme inc' into their static site. Some permission-controlled RSS maybe?

It's a good question. Will be interested to find out if someone cleverer than me knows how it can be done...
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

jaske
  • 2006/12/16 13:01

• jaske

• Just popping in

I have considered your option of a single XOOPS site that feeds all these separate static sites, but I would prefer to setup each domain/site with its own XOOPS site, so that I can empower each domain owner/company to have the ability to log in and make updates to their own site without having to worry about the issues you've mentioned.

I think your response is the closest (from what I understand of the others so far) to understand what it is I'm asking to do.

To reiterate the process I'm looking to do - Set up each domain with a XOOPS install in the domain.com/cms directory, then refer to the content in the existing static site/pages to pull the information from the database.

While I appreciate the info, it seems using inline frames would add an unnecessary step as one is having content rendered to a separate page then pulling it into the static pages instead of just calling from the database directly.

Thanks,

Alexi

jaske
  • 2006/12/16 13:05

• jaske

• Just popping in

Thanks for the info. I'm checking this out and it appears it may be one of the only options (at least presented thus far).

Alexi

gestroud
  • 2006/12/16 15:12

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

If any of the XOOPS-based information comes from modules that provide RSS feeds, you might consider implementing the RSS into your static HTML pages. There are a couple of ways to handle that - RSS to javascript, online aggregators...

Login

Who's Online

227 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 227

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits