Sedoras
News Module with proper Access Rights?
  • 2006/6/10 19:21

• Sedoras

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/6/10

Hi,

i am looking for a News module with proper access rights. I have several user groups, and i want to restrict access to certain news articles to certain groups.

I tried the News 1.44, News2, Altern8news and AMS, but they do not handle rights properly. I can setup multiple categories and then take away the "View" right from a group.
In AMS, this first looks good: Opening the /articles/ URL will only show news i am allowed to see. But then, when I go to Archive, i see all news, including the prohibites categories. I can not use the Read More-Link, but I can see the title and the normal text. If I use the Spotlight Block to have the latest news included in the homepage, i see all news as well.

So, this is no good. I checked the other Modules in the News-Part of the Modules repository as well, and they all have the same problem.

Does someone know a good news module that allows me to properly prevent people to see certain news articles?

While preventing News-Categories for certain user groups would be enough (if it just properly prevents access everywhere, incl. all search/archive/latest news etc.), the greatest thing to have would be to set Viewing rights per Article - but that is an optional requirement.

jensclas
Re: News Module with proper Access Rights?

Sounds to me like 'smart section' (was wf section) from smart factory would be an idea. You set permissions for each category and can set permissions for each article you write. Check out smart factory and see for yourself if you think this will do the job. I only use news for general site news for everyone...I use the sections for my articles and limtied access to some via the permissions.

preachur
  • 2006/12/6 0:42

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2006/2/4 4

Have you tried the news 1.50 module? I haven't tested it yet, but it might work.http://dev.xoops.org/modules/xfmod/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1008&release_id=683&dl=2925
Magick can never be restrained, but when freely given is thrice regained!

preachur
  • 2006/12/6 0:43

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2006/2/4 4

Also, like jensclas said, check out Smart Factory. I LOVE their modules.
Magick can never be restrained, but when freely given is thrice regained!

jensclas

Quote:
But then, when I go to Archive, i see all news, including the prohibites categories. I can not use the Read More-Link, but I can see the title and the normal text. If I use the Spotlight Block to have the latest news included in the homepage, i see all news as well.

Just read this again and am having some doubts that anything might do what you ask as long as you turn on or make those blocks visible.

I actually don't mind the headers and read more showing and when a user clicks on it they are told they don't have permission to access. It's a bit of a teaser - if they want to read it they need to register - I see that as part of the purpose of the spotlight article too...so now I am beginning to wonder. Permissions will prevent them from seeing the full article but you might need to be more selective about which blocks you turn on for which groups. You can manage this through admin/groups/name of group. So you would need to set blocks individually for each user group. Now if we dive a bit deeper I think in Smart section you can set the permissions for categories and articles according to sepcific groups as well. So you have 2 areas to consider - permisssions on individual categories and articles, and block settings. HTH

Peekay
  • 2006/12/7 1:53

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

This is a known problem with AMS. But in News 1.44, restricted categories are not visible in the archive.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Login

Who's Online

198 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 198

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits