rlankford
Opinion War -- Battle of the Editors
  • 2006/12/5 13:04

• rlankford

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/8/27

We've recently seen a flurry of news surrounding newly released revisions of various editors for the XOOPS environment (Xoops Editor Package - V1.01 and Tinyeditor - V1.0 RC1). Personally, I've used the Koivi editor on my sites. What I would like, however, is a discussion amongst the XOOPS community here comparing these various editors.

Which one(s) do you like best? What do you like about them? What don't you like about them?

Peekay
Re: Opinion War -- Battle of the Editors
  • 2006/12/5 15:02

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

For HTML I too would choose Koivi - because AFAIK it's the only one that lets users add images from the XOOPS image manager. On the down side (unless this is now fixed) it cleans up your raw code. This would be fine if admin could turn the feature off, but on the version I tried I had problems pasting a JavaScript into the text editor, even in code view.

One thing I found frustrating with all of the editors I tried was that none of them followed typographic conventions - i.e. created a para break (P) on 'Enter' and a line break (BR) on 'Shift+Enter'.

With double BR tags everywhere it makes it hard to do anything stylish with text using CSS. The editor that ships with WordPress is the only one I know of that does it properly.

On my wish list - 'proper' typography and pre-defined CSS classes in a drop-down menu.

... and a DHTML editor like the one in DokuWiki.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

frankblack
  • 2006/12/5 16:30

• frankblack

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/6/13

Quote:
because AFAIK it's the only one that lets users add images from the XOOPS image manager

No, I wrote a plugin for tinyeditor.

P on Enter? tiny will do
BR on Shift-Enter? tiny will do

CSS classes in a drop-down? tiny will do

So the battle for me has ended!

Peekay
  • 2006/12/5 18:16

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Thx for that frankblack. Now I'm getting a 'tiny' bit excited (typographically speaking).

Is the image manager plugin included with the download?
Does it work in Firefox and IE?
Does it work on a Mac?
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

frankblack
  • 2006/12/5 18:47

• frankblack

• Just can't stay away

Yes the XOOPS image manager is included in the basic package. And if your browsers are able to understand html and do not block popups - then and only then - it is working.

irmtfan
  • 2006/12/5 20:38

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

its a long time that we expect for a totally BBCODE editor that just have WYSIWYG view.

To do it, it needs 2 converters.

(1) BBCode -> HTML in editing page
(2) HTML -> BBCode in viewing page

IMHO this wysiwyg editor wins the battle

Herko
  • 2006/12/5 20:47

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Tiny wins for me too. I just love its versatility. Easy to set up too.

Quote:

irmtfan wrote:
its a long time that we expect for a totally BBCODE editor that just have WYSIWYG view.

To do it, it needs 2 converters.

(1) BBCode -> HTML in editing page
(2) HTML -> BBCode in viewing page

IMHO this wysiwyg editor wins the battle

This I don't get. You would have the content put into HTML, converted into BBcode, which is converted into HTML by the textsanitser all over again? Now that's adding more useless work to the rendering engine for sure...

No, IMHO Tiny should have a limited default editor (like Wordpress has, uses TinyMCE too), thus prevening misuse. The content is stored as semantic xhtml in the db, and the system doesnt need to revert it back to html from bbcode, slowing it down.

Herko

frankblack
  • 2006/12/5 21:26

• frankblack

• Just can't stay away

Quote:
No, IMHO Tiny should have a limited default editor

tiny forsees such a possibility right now! I guess it is a feature that I forgot to announce or explain more clearly.

I found a way to mimic the standard dhtml-editor. Maybe you can test yourself if you implement this at a place where no further WYSIWYG is needed. Just one parameter has to be set to reduce tinyeditor to this mimic-mode.

Here is the example taken from news 1.44:
$editor = new XoopsFormTinyeditorTextArea(array('caption'=>$caption'name'=>$name'value'=>$value'width'=>'100%''height'=>'400px''xEditor'=>'1'));

Important is the xEditor-array. 1 or missing parameter means tinyeditor uses the full functionality, whereas 'xEditor'=>'0' means that tinyeditor takes the reduced instruction set for the mimic-mode.

I see, writing more clear and easy docs are needed... sigh!

P.S.: The above code is just a snippet. It needs more to be working...

irmtfan
  • 2006/12/6 4:53

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

Herko it seems you misunderstood me

I talk about a totally BBcode WYSIWYG editor that don't need "HTML enable" to work.
because its not safe to use html editors in many websites like xoops.org

there's an editor samuel works a long time ago:
https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2917

and i think phppp works on a same thing.

Herko
  • 2006/12/6 6:38

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

irmtfan wrote:
Herko it seems you misunderstood me

I talk about a totally BBcode WYSIWYG editor that don't need "HTML enable" to work.
because its not safe to use html editors in many websites like xoops.org

there's an editor samuel works a long time ago:
https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2917

and i think phppp works on a same thing.

No, I didn't misunderstand you at all.

You want this:
WYSIWYG editor that writes pure BB-code. So the content is stored in the DB as BB-coded content.

What BB-code does however is change the content back to publishable HTML when the content needs to be displayed.

So: you propose wysiwyg -> bb code -> html
I propose: wysiwyg -> html

BB code was meant to *replace* (or preceed is more accurate) the complex and expensive WYSIWYG editors at the time (there are no good open source wysiwyg editors back then). You could make it easy to manage what is used and what isn't, and still allow people to add some special markup to their content.
Now, however, there are plenty of mature and manageable open source wysiwyg editors. Now you can do what you with them what you did with bbcode, but now you can do it even better.

SO, why add it on top of bbcode? You can santize the output even better then you can with bbcode (less coding necessary for that), you can manage rights, you can extend it easier.. Youhave the security of bb code, but you have so many advantages over bb code.

bb code isn't an end unto itself, it is a means to acieve something alse. If you focus on what you want to achieve, it's a logical step to *replace* bb code with a good editor like tinyeditor.

@frankblack: I know that I can confige tinyeditor to use a limited editor as default one. I love it

Herko

Login

Who's Online

181 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 181

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits