preachur
Multi-Site Registration
  • 2006/12/1 8:37

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2006/2/4 4

I am no coder. I can usually figure basic stuff out. I have been looking for a way to make several sites work off of one user database. None of the hacks have worked right so far. Now I have an idea.

I have been searching around and many XOOPS admins want users to be able to only have to register once and then be able to log in to multiple XOOPS sites.

My idea is this: Why use one user database? Why not create a simple module / hack that would register them to all of the user databases at once? Sure, it would have to be installed and configured on all of the sites. Sure, they might have to turn off the email confirmation on all of the sites but one...

Am I crazy?

I know I can probably write an .html form that can use the XOOPS register.php to register someone to an XOOPS site from another domain. Would it be possible to make a module that registers people to several sites from any site they sign up on? You could even then inform them of all the sites they now have access to in the one confirmation email.

If I knew more about .php I would try it. Can someone help by making this? I, and many other people here could use it.

Please?
Magick can never be restrained, but when freely given is thrice regained!

Will_H
Re: Multi-Site Registration
  • 2006/12/1 14:01

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

Yeah, I have always just used one database, so I definitely like this.

Has anyone played with E107 lately. They have a nifty little quickregistration tool (XUP), that allows you to save a file and use it over and over again on any E107 powered domain. Automatically filling in all of your stored userdata. Format is xml-like.

ITS A BRILLIANT IDEA!

I know XOOPS is XOOPS and all, but wow, thats very cool.

check it outhttp://leaguewar.com/signup.php?stage1

chippyash
  • 2006/12/1 16:05

• chippyash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/1/29

An even better idea (perhaps) wuld be to adopt the openID system. See http://openid.net/

I think I saw another Xoopster somewhere trying to use this but can't remeber where at the minute.

It could be implemented as an authentication method rather like LDAP (i.e choose to use it or not).

Please take a look. If it generates sufficient interest I'll pass it on to the dev team for consideration as I know they are currently looking at authentication.

preachur
  • 2006/12/1 16:35

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

That looks good, but it seems to be a little more than what I need right now. But what I need and what the community needs might be different, right? If it works, it works. If that's a permanent multi-site solution for XOOPS I say go for it! How would it work on xoops? I like the idea.... Then when anyone registers they would just register with the one site running the openID mod, and then the other sites would authenticate logins from that site, right? That sounds good. It would take a registration and login hack on all the sites involved I think, but when it comes to something like this, don't they all?

I would still like to hear if anyone thinks my idea from last night would work. A single registration writing to several user tables on several sites at once.

preachur
  • 2006/12/1 16:43

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

That (openID) would also open up the possibilites of groups of XOOPS Admins banding together and securely sharing users and traffic, huh? Not a bad idea.

Will_H
  • 2006/12/1 16:44

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

The only concern I have about OpenID is the redirect on login.

One of the features that I never liked about MD-Pro is that it made users feel insecure about utilizing your services, because of the login redirect.

Granted it is a fantastic concept, and I am sure with a little intuitive thought, we could cleverly integrate this service, as an option atleast, into the core.

Great suggestion!

------

About the user_table hack. I would imagine it would be quite the same process as the installer. I would also imagine that it would be limited to only databases on a single server.

I would also imagine, that a embedded function such as that would impose huge security risks.

preachur
  • 2006/12/1 16:49

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

I still think that several sites could all have registration pages that write to all of the user databases at once... Am I wrong?

One or all of the sites could have a module admin to add in the links to the other pages' registration module page and it would just hit up all the databases whenever someone registered on any of them.

chippyash
  • 2006/12/1 16:53

• chippyash

• Friend of XOOPS

Preachur

You are right. It would take a hack. My suggestion is perhaps more for the long term althugh there is no reason why a module could not be written for it with a single block that can be positioned under the standard logon block.

To acheive what you want is reletively straightforward. You'd intercept the registration process (I've already done this with my email validation hack posted elsewhere on this site - see the news section) and send an encrypted message to one or more slave sites using the PHP Curl library or some other mechanism (you'd have to setup each site to share some secret to do this.) On the receiving site a routine would run that adds the validated user details to that site and returns a status code to the originator. To round it all off, you could then give the user a message to say that they have also been registered on all your slave sites.

The OpenId thing is better long term because it requires less administration once set up. Your suggestion will reuire the admin to make changes on each affected site to set them up (each site will have to act as an originator and slave, if you catch my drift.)

Regards
A

nekro
  • 2006/12/1 18:31

• nekro

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/11/9

The thing needed here is easily done sharing tables between sites with a MySQL script for MySQL5 which shares tables ... and every modification in one is replicated in the other... is a little dificult at the installation but later works very fine... there is a QA written by me here

About OpenId i am really agree... it should another auth method

chippyash
  • 2006/12/3 6:01

• chippyash

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

nekro wrote:
The thing needed here is easily done sharing tables between sites with a MySQL script for MySQL5 which shares tables

Unfortunately however, most sites/hosters are still on MySQL V4 but thanks for the info.

Login

Who's Online

188 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 188

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits