• Basco

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/4/11

Hi everybody,
I just found the following article about Google and dyn. created websites:

Quote:
What did Google change?
Until November, Google had the following statement in its webmaster guidelines:
"Don't use "&id=" as a parameter in your URLs, as we don't include these pages in our index."
This entry has been removed from Google's guidelines. Here's the official statement from Google's blog:

"Google now indexes URLs that contain that parameter. So if your site uses a dynamic structure that generates it, don't worry about rewriting it -- we'll accept it just fine as is.
Keep in mind, however, that dynamic URLs with a large number of parameters may be problematic for search engine crawlers in general, so rewriting dynamic URLs into user-friendly versions is always a good practice when that option is available to you.
If you can, keeping the number of URL parameters to one or two may make it more likely that search engines will crawl your dynamic urls."

What does this mean to your web site?

If you have a dynamically created web site that uses only one or two parameters to create web pages then it's likely that Google can index your web pages without problems.
If you use more parameters then you should rewrite your URLs. Rewriting your URLs makes sure that most search engines will be able to index your site.
If you cannot rewrite your URLs then it helps if at least one stable link points to a dynamically created page. If a web page can be found through a direct link then it is more likely that search engines index that page.

Can anybody confirm that, and does it affect XOOPS-Installations ?
If I understand it correctly, there will be no need to use Short-URLs anymore.

banned
Re: Xoops SEO, new statement from Google ?
  • 2006/11/19 12:32

• banned

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/16

Link, please.

banned,

Basco
  • 2006/11/19 12:37

• Basco

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/4/11

Here it is :

Free SEO News

Basco

JMorris
  • 2006/11/19 14:34

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

I think the key here is one or two parameters. If you look at the parameter string for this thread's URL

viewtopic.php?topic_id=55117&forum=20&post_id=243461#forumpost243461

Well, you get my point. We still need SEF URLS for XOOPS. My main site is highly indexed by Google even though I have a lot of dynamic URLS. However, when I compare the modules with dynamic URLS vs the modules with SEF URLS [Ex: MyDownloads vs Wordpress], the modules with SEF URLS have consistently outperformed the modules with dynamic URLS even though the modules with dynamic URLS are updated more frequently.

Just my 2 cents.

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

WarDick
  • 2006/11/19 14:57

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

Modx, Joomla and Drupal all have rewriting and aliases as a default feature. No need to be a mod_write guru when using any of these frameworks.

Does anyone know how to do this without hacking the core of xoops?
Urging XOOPS to be the Best It Can Be.
Richard......

davidl2
  • 2006/11/19 16:25

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Apparently this is going to be a feature of 2.3 onwards... so it's at least being looked at seriously.

In the meantime, re-writing urls is probably the best method.

Dona_Brasil

Quote:

JMorris wrote:
Well, you get my point. We still need SEF URLS for XOOPS. My main site is highly indexed by Google even though I have a lot of dynamic URLS. However, when I compare the modules with dynamic URLS vs the modules with SEF URLS [Ex: MyDownloads vs Wordpress], the modules with SEF URLS have consistently outperformed the modules with dynamic URLS even though the modules with dynamic URLS are updated more frequently.

There are three relevant questions on rewriting URL's for SEO:

1) Are dynamic URL's indexed as well as static URL's? In other words: are dynamic URL's included in the index of Search Engines as well as static URL's?
2) Do rewritten URL's increase the amount of traffic through search engines? In other words: are these rewritten URL's ranked higher in Search Engines?
3) Do rewritten URL's increase the quality of the trafic compared to dynamic URL's.

I've noticed that some people say that rewriting URL's is not important. I think these people only answer the first question.

It would be very nice if a next version of XOOPS includes SEF URL's!

I described my temporary solution here.

Login

Who's Online

144 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 144

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits