__Morgan__
Slow site because of specific theme
  • 2006/11/8 9:07

• __Morgan__

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/11/8

Hi everyone!
First of all, I really don't know if this is the right section, but my problem is really strange, maybe linked to my XOOPS' theme, maybe not.

I'm using XOOPS by about one year. Recently I have updated to version 2.0.15 and downloaded a new theme from XOOPSdesign.com (city reflection theme).

With this specific theme my site became very slow, while without it there is no problem. The strange thing is that while the html code is already loaded (if i type CTRL-U in Firefox i can see the code many seconds before the page is fully loaded), the page rendering takes somewhat like 40 seconds to finish.

The obvious solution is to swith to another theme but this theme is so nice :P. I can suppose that my theme's html is to much complicated but I already checked it and it seems to me that it's not my situation.

The situation seems very strange to me: anyone can help suggesting some trick/solution?

Some info
-------------------------------------
Website URL:
http://www.oxyhouse.org

XOOPS Version:
XOOPS 2.0.15

XOOPS Theme:
city

XOOPS Template Set:

PHP Version:

MySQL Version:

Server Software:
Apache/2.0.53 (Fedora)

wizanda
Re: Slow site because of specific theme
  • 2006/11/8 12:02

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Have you tried Caching blocks also?

davidl2
  • 2006/11/8 12:08

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Careful caching can fix so many issues

Quest
  • 2006/11/8 12:29

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

Interesting you should mention this, because since I upgraded from 2.0.14 to 2.0.15 I have noticed a degradation in the loading speed of my sites as well. I have applied cache to blocks/modules-which I hadn't had to do until 2.0.15 and it really didn't improve it much. I changed default themes and it really didn't help either. I have just sort of been watching it and thought maybe my host was doing one of their upgrades or tweaking maintenance jobs. Not so sure now. Now I am wondering if something has changed in the core files related to rendering of pages. I don't understand that kind of stuff though.

Thanks
Quest

davidl2
  • 2006/11/8 12:41

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

I'm very sure that nothing relating to caching has been changed between 14 and 15.

Wonder if settings change during updates? Can't see why this would happen?

__Morgan__
  • 2006/11/8 13:04

• __Morgan__

• Just popping in

Thanks for your replies!

I'm not sure if "careful caching" :) can help, but I'm trying right now: I'll report as soon as I have some feedback about this, but at first look it seems to me that there are no performance improvement.

I need to stress two facts: the first is that the problem seems to be connected to a single theme: if I use the default theme I have "normal" speed. The second fact is that the html code seems to be present after about 10 seconds but the page doesn't render until 30-40 seconds.

Will_H
  • 2006/11/8 13:08

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

I found that the cause of this drastic slowdown, was blocks that required sql queries to function. Try eliminating a block, then refreshing the pahe. Figure out which blocks take longer to load, and pair them up, or like in my case disable them, accordingly.

I dont think its your theme....

The fact that you didnt have this problem until 2.0.15 leads me to believe that some of your sql quesies are getting lost and hanging the process up.

__Morgan__
  • 2006/11/8 13:16

• __Morgan__

• Just popping in

Quote:

I dont think its your theme....

The fact that you didnt have this problem until 2.0.15 leads me to believe that some of your sql quesies are getting lost and hanging the process up.

This is quite an hint... I notice that there is some "regularity" in its slowness... maybe a timeout or something like that occurs somewhere causing my letargic-site-problem... I'll figure out what I can discover, thanks.

__Morgan__
  • 2006/11/8 13:26

• __Morgan__

• Just popping in

Not so sure that it's not a problem of my theme... I enabled debug mode and I took a look to timers: here's what i find out

XOOPS took 6.010 seconds to load.
XOOPS Boot took 0.330 seconds to load.
Module init took 0.054 seconds to load.
XOOPS output init took 5.562 seconds to load.
Module display took 0.010 seconds to load.
Page rendering took 0.043 seconds to load.

It seems so strange that the page isn't loaded until 40 seconds...

m0nty
  • 2006/11/8 13:52

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

have you fixed it? cos i just tried and it loaded the full page in 6 seconds

Login

Who's Online

225 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 225

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits