beach_defend
Blocks Admin

Hi,
I'm sure this has been covered, but I cant find a reference to my issue.

I'm using 2.0.15 on a site and have been trying to get it setup.

I want some blocks to show on the 'Top Page' depending opn the group one belongs to.

So, I go the Blocks CPanel and set the permissions as follows

Page: Top Page Group: Anonymous User Visible: All

Main Menu => Visible = No
User Menu => Visible = No

Submitting this gives the right result.

So, now I do:

Page: Top Page Group: Registered Users Visible: All

Main Menu => Visible = Yes
User Menu => Visible = No

Submit -

Gives the last result for BOTH Anonymous Users and Registered Users.

If I change the Anon folk back, it changes back for Registered users.

To me this is a bug.

BTW - I have set group access corectly, because on some pages the blockd that are not visible on the top page may in fact be visible.

This is causing me great grief at present, in fact due to time pressures I'm going to try the same on 2.2

Thanks in advance,
Barry

beach_defend
Re: Blocks Admin

Another, simple example is that I want thw Logon block on the top page for anonymous users but not for people who have logged in, because that would be silly.

homergz
  • 2006/10/30 7:24

• homergz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/5/21

Set your MAIN and USER blocks to "Visible" then set your group permissions for anonymous and registered users as you like. The login block will only be visible to anonymous users while the user menu will only be visible to registered users.

beach_defend

But I may want the User Menu available to other users on a different page.

What I still don't understand why when I set visibility on 'top page' for one group, it sets it for all groups.

This seems to be strange, or there is no reason to select the user group at the top, if visibility is set across all user groups.

Am I missing something?

Thanks again for your help.

Dave_L
  • 2006/10/30 12:14

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

The Blocks Administration page settings only let you specify what pages a block will appear on.

The pulldown menus at the top of that page are merely filters that control which blocks are displayed on that admin page. Those menus are misleading, and have been eliminated in XOOPS 2.2.x. Hopefully that behavior will be ported to XOOPS 3.x.

The Groups admin page is where you specify which groups can see a block.

If you want the same block to be visible to different user groups on different pages, I think the only solution is to "clone" the block, and set different permissions for the two instances of the block. That's possible in XOOPS 2.2.x, but not, as far as I know, in XOOPS 2.0.15.

Quest
  • 2006/10/30 12:19

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

You may want to look at the Multimenu Module. It may be fix you are looking for. Or maybe GiJoes BlocksAdmin (I think it's from GiJoe).
The XOOPS core at this time doesn't allow for such a thing in the blocksadmin. Currently, you set the block you want to display to visible and you set the page/pages you want it visible on, then you can go into groups admin (v2.0.15) and implement which groups you want to have permission to view the block(s) or not. If you wish to do anything more dynamic than that you will need to install the module(s) mentioned above.

HTHs
Quest

It would be super human to have the ability to anticipate the desires of everyone

beach_defend

Thanks for clearing it up for me.

I'll get around it another way, I guess.

I might look to see how it works in 2.2 as well.

Again, thanks.

davidl2
  • 2006/10/30 12:27

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

2.2 is not a recommended release.

The block control may change for 2.3 - but not any other versions.

Login

Who's Online

172 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 172

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits