Mithrandir
Re: Open Source and Industry Standard

Right. People shouldn't get XOOPS because it is XOOPS. They should get it because it fulfils their needs.

License fees is one thing to consider, when looking at solutions, but there are so many other things to consider:

- Vendor lock-in
- Support
- Development and customisations
- Compatibility with current work processes

And although it is brightening on the support front, there are still too few consultancy companies with XOOPS expertise who can build modules and themes for them.

I firmly believe that XOOPS can be a good solution for most companies, but it depends on what they need. If they want a turnkey solution that just has to be plugged in and can then be configured to do whatever they want, XOOPS may not be the answer for them.

But if they want a flexible solution that they can either educate current IT staff or hire consultants to develop customised modules and theme for, XOOPS is one of the best and easiest systems to use.
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

hervet
  • 2006/10/28 21:28

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Quote:
Herko Coomans wrote :
herve ?

herko ?

Herko
  • 2006/10/29 7:47

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

hervet wrote:
Quote:
Herko Coomans wrote :
herve ?

herko ?

Ah, yes My first post in this thread was attributed to you, that has been edited. That was all

Herko

Alan-A
  • 2006/10/29 9:48

• Alan-A

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/17

Hallo,

although the technical features mentioned already are important, I think that the people behind the systems are just as important in such a situation. When I say to someone whose job it has been to create something (in this case a web site) that there's a better way to do this, then the chances are that this person feels a bit criticised - regardless of whether that's rational or not - because his solution isn't good enough any more. We people just tend to be that way.

I don't know if your current decision maker was responsible for either making the site or the decision to make it the way it is, but I think the problem here is, "How do I bring the decision maker to see that it could be in HIS interest to review the web site?" This probably means that you will have to try to 'arrange' the situation so that it looks that he - and not you - gets the cudos for any change. Become (in his eyes) his ally - not his critic. Once you've become his 'trusted assistant' then you can maybe get mor freedom later.

Sounds manipulative? - Maybe.

And yes, its a long and tiresome way but so is waiting for your next promotion....

Or you could start to go freelance in your spare time.

Good luck, the world would be a better place if all employees were as motivated as you are.

Alan

Login

Who's Online

121 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 121

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits