MS Internet Explorer 7 & FireFox 2
  • 2006/10/27 10:32

• McDonald

• Home away from home

• Since: 2005/8/15

Recently new versions of two popular browsers have been released:
- MS Internet Explorer 7
- FireFox 2

I'm wondering what experiences Xoopsers have with these 2 new browser versions.

- Did you need to make changes to your theme (html or css)?

- Are some functions cq. modules not working, working differently or are they suddenly working?

- Etc. etc.

I experienced some problems with MSIE7 as you can read here and decided to uninstall MSIE7 again.

So, if you have any comments, remarks or what so ever related to the use of these 2 new browser version then reply and please don't forget to mention the XOOPS version you're using.

Mithrandir
Re: MS Internet Explorer 7 & FireFox 2

So far FF 2.0 seems to work pretty well.
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

m0nty
  • 2006/10/27 13:17

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

IE7 works very well, in fact it's more compliant with standards than it's predecessors..

it is CSS2 compliant also..

the problems u had with it were not worth uninstalling it over, you should have found the issue.. most likely being that it's more compliant so simple editing of your admin themes CSS file would no doubt have fixed your problem.

overall i find IE7 faster, more compliant.. tabbed windows is a big improvement and the general feel of IE7 is much better than any other version of IE.

is it better than Firefox?? that's yet to be seen, but at the moment i would have to say No.

wizanda
  • 2006/10/27 13:40

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Agreed in fact IE7 loads faster then Firefox2 on my PC, (maybe the plugins, I use in firefox, don't help)...yet might also be the pre-fetch, it uses is windows based....

Unsure which to use now, so got both as it is pain...when a program request's IE for some of its uses.....

Still don't like noseeEey software, as I know before hand anything labeled "Microsoft" normally is!

Mithrandir

I generally like FF 2.0 better than IE 7

IE 7 is a weird sitting-between-two-chairs because some sites that worked fine with FF AND IE 6 don't work completely with IE 7 (by "working" I mean "renders as intended")

The features in IE 7 approach FF - but with the easy plugins for FF, there is almost no limit to the functionality you can put in there.

- Tabbed browsing: Been in FF for years
- Phishing filter: Easy with plugins in FF and can be expanded with McAfee's SiteAdvisor plugin for annoying websites that are not phishing
- RSS feeds: FF 2.0 goes a step further from IE 7 with easy subscriptions (in external programs) directly from the RSS feed url
- Rendering: IE 7 may be CSS 2 compliant and better supporting standards than IE 6 (and maybe even more correctly than FF) but some annoying differences are still present; mainly in the areas of padding, margin and calculating sizes of block elements

Generally, I'll stick with FF 2.0 and IE 6 (only used for a homebank that refuses to work with FF) until the day that I cannot avoid IE 7.
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

m0nty
  • 2006/10/27 13:57

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

yeah IE padding & margins are still a pain in the ass.. IE still subtracts the padding from the element.

i wish they all would agree on a set rule for applying padding and margins to elements, so they all work the same. it would make designers lives a lot less stressfull.

I doubt microsoft will change their methods tho to suit.. but maybe hopefully it would be nice if the other browser players could change the way they render padding & margins to suit.. not because they are wrong, but for the sake of less stressful designers..

Mithrandir

And don't even get me started on the differences in float modelling. Grrrrrrr.

Well, back on topic. Hrhm.

Microsoft can try all they want. I doubt they can make a better browser than Mozilla and all the others churning out new versions by the quarter and not by the decade.

MS can perhaps "cheat" with security features supported by the operating system, but for the user experience, I vote Moz.

Cusix Software

m0nty
  • 2006/10/27 14:09

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

agreed :)

DobePhat
  • 2006/10/27 16:37

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

Havent switched to IE7 yet.
Most people I know are still using 6 but Im sure its a matter of time.

If you do valid css...it will work in Firefox and in Most cases IE. That will be even easier now with IE7.

The major differences will ocur when you have IE specific css hacks...(which is a no no now, you should't be doing them).

There are some fixes that dont act like hacks but are specific to the browser.
Such as the display:inline property.
(try throwing it in when you get a whacky spacing issue in a floated element in IE. for instance.)

Anyways Im super happy that IE is progressing.
The worst was IE 5....and occassionaly I get stuck in IE 6..but its usually ultimately a result of invalid systax somewhere....
NOW....
When we are up to CSS 3...the fun stuff is really going to happen!

We are Working on a css theme for XOOPS at the moment..

McDonald
  • 2006/10/27 18:38

• McDonald

• Home away from home

• Since: 2005/8/15

Quote:

m0nty wrote:

the problems u had with it were not worth uninstalling it over, you should have found the issue.. most likely being that it's more compliant so simple editing of your admin themes CSS file would no doubt have fixed your problem.

The problems I experienced with IE7 even happened on a fresh install of XOOPS using the default theme and no modules added to it.

I think the menu issue is not related to css but to the way the menu is created.

Edit:
Got the menu issue fixed by removing
<hr />
(appr. line 35) from the file /themes/default/navigation/theme_adminnav.html

I think the calendar issue is a little bit more difficult to solve...

Login

Who's Online

173 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 173

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits