Bebertq
I don't understand how to fill-up the "Home" menu
  • 2006/10/21 16:34

• Bebertq

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/10/21

Hi everyone!

I'm testing XOOPS out on a local system using WAMP5.

It's working nicely. I have setup forums, a download area and a news area using modules.

One problem though... How can I fill up the "Home" menu? Whenever I click on it, I end up with an empty page.

I can move blocks around and understand the concept, however i'm not sure how I can play with the "Home" menu (or page).

Thanks for your help!

Bee

msdana
Re: I don't understand how to fill-up the "Home" menu
  • 2006/10/21 16:40

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

Welcome to Xoops!

You can add blocks to your home page or select a module as your start page. I strongly suggest you visit the Xoops FAQ and also head over to the Xoops Documentation website for additional help. This question has been asked many times before and is covered in great detail

HTH
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

flexlearn
  • 2006/10/26 11:56

• flexlearn

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/10/25

Hi msdana
Maybe your answer of the question would be enough for you..but for a newcomer your answer is fare from good enough.
I have the same question and did what you sayed, but I'm still confused, so the question ones again:

How can I fill up my Home-menu? Is there a certain modul that I should use like the content-modul, the news-modul, the new2-modul etc?

A better answer next time...for a newcomer too
best regards kim

jensclas

MS dana was sending you in the right direction - there is no one aswer to this depending on what it is you want to do with the site -

Quote:
How can I fill up my Home-menu?

If you mean your site menu which is on the left hand side everytime you install a module that is activated for users you will find it appears in your site menu. This will depend on the groups and who has access. As webmaster you will set yourself to have access to everything. But you can restrict who sees what through the groups admin of your site.

If you are talking about the content of your main page this depends on which modules or blocks you wish to have appear there. There are two approaches - the most common is to set either news or another article module as the start page. This is doen through the admin site preferences. once you have doen this you then need to go to your 'blocks' setup and turn on and position the blocks that you wish to have visible on this page.

The second approach is to go directly to the blocks page and create custom blocks. I would not recomend this for you yet until you are more familiar with how XOOPS works.

Now if you still don;t understand plase take the time to do a little background research. Get the visual introduction to XOOPS and XOOPS administration manual from the XOOPS documentation website for starters.

New users should always checkout the following:
1. Documentation - linked on the left. Specifically the administration manual
2. The FAQ section - linked on the left - specifically the sections on gloassry, beginners first steps, modules, blocks and themes. There are links to visual tutorials here.
3. The search function on the top right.
Please check also the read B4U post link below if you have problems.

For Visual tutorials please go here

flexlearn
  • 2006/10/26 21:01

• flexlearn

• Just popping in

Hi jensclas
No dout about he's sending me in the right direction, but insteed of using MORE hours then I've already done, I posted the question again hoping that an angel would help me..like you...you have given me an answer that I can understand.

Somehow I think it's not very flattering for a forum like XOOPS to welcome newcomers like msdana (or someone else for that matter).

As a newcomer into XOOPS I dont expect overdriven kindness but a standard comment like msdana, dosn't give me a feeling of beeing welcomen.

msdana pleace don't be mad at me because I'm using your name and answer as an example...it could be anyone else.

best regards

kim

msdana
  • 2006/10/26 21:24

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

Quote:
No doubt about he's sending me in the right direction

He is actually a she and I'm glad an angel has taken the time to provide you with detailed information. Like many users at Xoops, my free time is limited and I was trying to point you in the right direction, not with a "standard comment", but with useful links on learning XOOPS and its features. I'm sorry if my reply did not suit your needs. I'm not here to flatter, I'm here to help.
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

McNaz
  • 2006/10/26 21:57

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Quote:
As a newcomer into XOOPS I dont expect overdriven kindness but a standard comment like msdana, dosn't give me a feeling of beeing welcomen...

Way to go buddy. Your third post and you are already antagonising one of our valued helpers and contributors to Xoops. Please note that Msdana and many others here help in their spare time.

We'd love to give every new user a full tutorial and how to do everything but when the question is asked dozens of times a day it becomes abit difficult The best advice was as she pointed, to look at the FAQ section where probably most of your questions have been asked and hopefully answered.

Failing that, these forums are a treasure trove of information that is very accessible using the help feature on the top right of the screen. If that is not getting you any results then you can use Google to search this site by specifying "site:xoops.org" when searching for keywords in Xoops.

Like msdana said, welcome to XOOPS and please remember that we are all contributors here.

Cheers.

flexlearn
  • 2006/10/27 5:02

• flexlearn

• Just popping in

Hi msdana and McNaz
msdana: sorry I didn't know that you are a girl and as written before it wasn't meant to you personally - my last reply..so pleace don't be too mad at me..
McNaz: I do know that WE all are using our free time on Xoops. And if you "need" to se my last replay as antagonising towards msdana, feel free..I can't change your opinion..and I do not have the right to change it..I know in my heart what was meant. I'm sorry that it seems to be antagonising..it isn't meant that way.
My isue is still, if you have been surfing the FAQ for hours without results, there is a big chance of getting frustrated...then you as a newcomer NEED a reel and good structive answer..can you see my point, McNaz?

Best regards and best hope for a reel god future dialog between us.

Kim

Login

Who's Online

184 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 184

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits