souidas
XOOPS on VPS goes very slow!
  • 2006/10/16 9:37

• souidas

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/21

Hello,

can someone tell me why that site goes very slow on VPS hosting???

The server have:
Intel XEON cpu 2.20GHz
memory: 4GB

PHP 4
MySql 3,23
XOOPS 2.2.4

* Totally tableless CSS theme.
* PhpThumb (cached) for the small photos on homepage.
* All the modules they have cache time more than 1min.

The most users at the same time they are 5.

Look the stats at the bottom... 7 Querys ... but 20sec or more... Time execution. Why?

PLEASE HELP

jdseymour
Re: XOOPS on VPS goes very slow!

Remember, the VPS a virtually a new default server. You need to optimize your server to run at its best.

See This Thread on webhostingtalk forums (it helped me greatly).

Also you mention the server stats, not your VPS allocation of resources, remember you do not use the full server resources.

McNaz
  • 2006/10/16 11:04

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Just to add another note: do not confuse a VPS server with a real server as the speeds do not even come close. This is something that web hosts often mis-sell very badly. Other VPS servers on the same machine do affect your vps performance (despite what webhosts say).

If your site is running slow then like JD said, you have to optimise it

I recently had to cancel a VPS with Surpass hosting as it performed very very badly.

Often my very old machine (a 600mhz 64mb machine) performs much betters than my old vps, which was marketed as a quad core 8gb server.

souidas
  • 2006/10/16 12:27

• souidas

• Just popping in

I just find out that I can use ONLY 5-10% of these cpu resources and I have only 192MB of memory and 30% of cpu!!!

Every httpd on "top" command from linux console it uses around 20MB of memory. Is that normal????

sitekeep
  • 2006/10/16 17:01

• sitekeep

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/7 7

Hi,

There is no real " Normal" while using a VPS, it really depends on how the host server is setup. Many people find moving to a VPS slows everything down on their site. With that being said there are many VPS hosts that you really do get great service from, but the price is a lot higher because they don't overload the host servers (nodes).

Bob

jdseymour

Quote:

McNaz wrote:
Just to add another note: do not confuse a VPS server with a real server as the speeds do not even come close. This is something that web hosts often mis-sell very badly. Other VPS servers on the same machine do affect your vps performance (despite what webhosts say).

If your site is running slow then like JD said, you have to optimise it

I recently had to cancel a VPS with Surpass hosting as it performed very very badly.

Often my very old machine (a 600mhz 64mb machine) performs much betters than my old vps, which was marketed as a quad core 8gb server.

Yes it is a good idea to shop around and know in advance what you are looking for in a VPS. I am currently on my 3rd VPS, and so far my best (1gig ram, 40 gigs space 200 gigs transfer 0n a dual athlon 64 running Xen). The great thing about Xen is that the server cannot be over sold.

My first VPS was a Virtuozzo VPS and the overhead kills the server. As far as I am concerned while I do not need a dedicated server I will always look for a good provider running Xen for my VPS hosting.

souidas
  • 2006/10/19 12:27

• souidas

• Just popping in

Now it goes really fast but I am paying the double cost! I took the Advanced plan. Check it here!

Quote:

jdseymour wrote:

I am currently on my 3rd VPS, and so far my best (1gig ram, 40 gigs space 200 gigs transfer 0n a dual athlon 64 running Xen). The great thing about Xen is that the server cannot be over sold.

About the Xen VPS how much it costs? Witch provider do you suggest? I am planing to create my own Dedicated Server for this site. Is it very difficult to make it Xen VPS? Any tutorial??

seventhseal

XEN is great technology - not quite enterprise ready, but for what a majority of us all do, very good. The downside to XEN vs. say VMWare is that you must understand the details of virtualization. My company has done an extensive research project with both. The one and only reason we are waiting on XEN is to get better kernal support for RedHat (Fedora 5 I think) and SLES (on the same page). We do large scale enterprise computing with the financial industry, so enterprise class is very important.

We will eventually do XEN. With the Microsoft deal, and VMWare deal, things look very good. Besides, IBM is backing XEN and now looks to move Z9 (mainframe) VM functionality to XEN. XEN is much more like a true hypervisor (IBM pSeries) then any other hypervisor out there. VPS (PLESK hybrids) are not. A true hypervisor will allow you to manage your hardware infrastructure as resource. Whether I have 1 physical or 5 physical, it's hardware resource. So a hypervisor just manages the resources to run all virtuals.

Anyway, to answer your question, go to XENSource.comXEN Source.
John Horne - a.k.a. - VelocityWebDev, Seventhseal, CreepingDeath
VelocityWebDev Tech BLOG
VelocityWebHost Hosting and Design

Login

Who's Online

153 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 153

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits